Dariel Alvarez is warming up

wildcard

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

26 from Cuba is s lot different then a guy drafted out of high school who has been in the minors 8 years. Alverez is more like a 22-23 year old in the terms of teaching and even though he is a big guy still the fitness is not the sam.

26 from Cuba is s lot different then a guy drafted out of high school who has been in the minors 8 years. Alverez is more like a 22-23 year old in the terms of teaching and even though he is a big guy still the fitness is not the sam.

Want me to make a list of Cuban players that have recently broke into the majors after a year or less in the minors?

Not sure where this narrative about Cuban players began but there are plenty of exceptions.

Bring him up in September unless someone gets hurt beforehand.

I hadn't really focused on this until this morning, but Alvarez is not on the 40-man roster. Therefore even calling him up in September has a consequence, as we will have to jettison someone from the 40-man. Of course, that can be accomplished without too much of a loss.

Want me to make a list of Cuban players that have recently broke into the majors after a year or less in the minors?

Not sure where this narrative about Cuban players began but there are plenty of exceptions.

Yes there are exceptions but i guess Buck doesn't know what he is talkng about when he talked about Urrieta and how he lacks some of the fundemetals taht th coaching in t US gives players. Lastnight the talked about Castillo and how he was not adjusted to the American league the way the red Sox hoped. Tomas from Arizona has been critized for his lack of fundementals this season. The same thing with Puig. These guys who all were much mor highly touted have all been talked about not having the same feel as players born in the US or even some of the other countries. There is a ton of talent there but that does not mean they are at the same level coachig and baseball iq as plyaers here.

Seems only fair to post that Alvarez has gone cold. 1 for his last 19. The one was his 12 homer of the season. He hit for a .350 average for over a month but now is slumping.

I thought it was interesting that when Duquette was interviewed last night and started talking about the depth we have at AAA, the first name out of his mouth was Christian Walker.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dariel Alvarez is elected to start the Triple-A All-Star game, Norfolk sends four to game: The Norfolk Tides w... <a href="http://t.co/8IQagF2Ig3">http://t.co/8IQagF2Ig3</a></p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">July 2, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• 2 weeks later...
Alvarez with 6 hits in a doubleheader tonight. His average is up to .287. 2nd game is in the 7th inning.
Yes, but how many walks did he get. You may not walk off the island but apparently you can't hit your way out of Norfolk.

Since we're checking in occasionally:

<pre>

SPLIT TEAM G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS

April NOR 21 88 8 22 4 0 2 11 2 0 11 1 0 .250 .283 .364 .646

May NOR 30 109 11 25 1 1 4 10 2 0 9 0 2 .229 .254 .367 .621

June NOR 26 106 15 36 9 0 6 19 2 0 17 2 0 .340 .360 .594 .955

July NOR 10 42 6 16 1 0 1 7 0 0 5 1 0 .381 .381 .476 .857

</pre>

No walks yet for July. 16 hits, only 2 for extra bases. Making contact though.

Archived