Latest Mock Draft Projections for Orioles

MLB.com: Chris Betts - C - California HS

Betts is the only high schooler I've seen mocked to the O's. He's a bat first prospect and would add a potential impact bat to a farm system that could use a few more. Reminds some of Brian McCann. Prospect Video

ESPN: Scott Kingery - 2B - Arizona

This is the first time Kingery has been linked to the O's whom Keith Law says are looking at bats for their first pick. I'm a big fan of this bat as Kingery has one of the better hit tools in this year's college class. He led all major conference hitters in average this year with a .392/.423/.561 line. Prospect Video

Baseball America: D.J. Stewart - OF - Florida State

You can catch him in action this weekend during super regional play. Stewart has been a popular link to the Orioles. Polished college power bat that has one of the best approaches in the class and profiles has a high OBP guy with 20-25 HR pop in left field. He reminds me of Nick Swisher. Prospect Video

FanGraphs: Nathan Kirby - LHP

Another popular name linked to the Orioles. Kirby has seen his stock slip this spring due to inconsistent performance along with a lat strain that will likely keep him from pitching against the Terps in the super regionals this weekend. He could possibly slide past the Orioles first pick and still be available at pick 36 where he'd be a great value in my opinion. Prospect Video

ESPN: Scott Kingery - 2B - Arizona

This is the first time Kingery has been linked to the O's whom Keith Law says are looking at bats for their first pick. I'm a big fan of this bat as Kingery has one of the better hit tools in this year's college class. He led all major conference hitters in average this year with a .392/.423/.561 line. Prospect Video

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/arizona-baseball/2015/5/26/8663995/arizona-baseball-scott-kingery-goes-from-walk-on-to-pac-12-batting-champ

http://www.kvoa.com/story/29170034/ua-baseballs-scott-kingery-named-pac-12-player-of-the-year

College bats I'd lean (in no order):

Pick 1 -- Kevin Newman (ss, Arizona), Donnie Dewees (cf, North Florida), Mikey White (ss, Alabama), Chris Shaw (1b, Boston College), Blake Trahan (ss, Louisiana Lafayette)

Pick 2 -- anyone left over from pick 1, Joe McCarthy (rf, Virginia), Richie Martin (ss, Florida), DJ Stewart (lf, FSU)

Two aggressive plays I'm warming up to:

1:25 -- Chris Shaw (1b, Boston College) -- $1.5 MM ($500 K savings)

1S:36 (Comp for Cruz) -- Joe McCarthy (of, Virginia) -- $1.5 MM ($200 K savings)

2:68 Christin Stewart (of, Tennessee) -- $900 K (slot)

3:102 -- Kep Brown (of, Wando HS (SC)) -- $1.2 MM ($700K overslot)

Shaw is a big bat that is a safe bet to go in the early second round at latest so give him a little more than he'd otherwise get and he should sign. McCarthy missed most of the season with a back issue but was a potential 1st rounder entering the season -- impact potential at plate and plus defender/arm in right. Not clear if he is willing to go back to school (I wouldn't think he would considering how deep 2016 is looking). Stewart is solid slot pick -- offensive minded corner outfielder with power, which is something system needs. Kep Brown is HUGE power prep bat who blew out his achilles earlier this spring. Wants to play pro ball; long levers and is still learning plate coverage. Reminds me some of Kris Bryant as a HSer with a slightly better swing than Bryant had at the time. Slight overdraft on Shaw and McCarthy to free up enough to make serious run at Brown. Lots of risk but I like the upside in this approach.

or

1:25 -- Daz Cameron (of, Eagle's Landing HS (GA)) -- $4 MM ($2 MM overslot)

1:36 -- Brandon Koch (rhp, Dallas Baptist) -- $700 K ($1 MM savings)

2:68 -- Austin Byler (1b, Nevada) -- $300 K ($600 K savings)

3:102 -- Brandon Lowe (2b, Maryland) -- $400 K ($150 K savings)

Daz is a top 5 type talent that may be forcing teams to pass until ARI/HOU/COL can come after him with a legit $3.5 - 4 MM (they are three teams with clear pool advantages outside of Braves, and indications are Braves are not willing to go that high at the expense of multiple of their top picks). Koch is a big fastball/slider reliever that fits as a third rounder and could speed through system; Byler is a power 1b senior sign with some approach risk; Lowe is a hit tool with solid glove and not much else - 3rd to 5th round guy. I think all three of those are decent risks to take on if it means you can get one of the draft's elite talents.

Baseball America has Brady Aiken dropping to #24 (Dodgers). If for some reason the Dodgers pass on Aiken, I hope we snap him up at #25. High-risk-high-reward.

I don't see the O's medical staff being on board with an Aiken pick.

I don't know what his medicals say but I do know that they are available by request only.

College bats I'd lean (in no order):

Pick 1 -- Kevin Newman (ss, Arizona), Donnie Dewees (cf, North Florida), Mikey White (ss, Alabama), Chris Shaw (1b, Boston College), Blake Trahan (ss, Louisiana Lafayette)

Pick 2 -- anyone left over from pick 1, Joe McCarthy (rf, Virginia), Richie Martin (ss, Florida), DJ Stewart (lf, FSU)

Two aggressive plays I'm warming up to:

1:25 -- Chris Shaw (1b, Boston College) -- $1.5 MM ($500 K savings)

1S:36 (Comp for Cruz) -- Joe McCarthy (of, Virginia) -- $1.5 MM ($200 K savings)

2:68 Christin Stewart (of, Tennessee) -- $900 K (slot)

3:102 -- Kep Brown (of, Wando HS (SC)) -- $1.2 MM ($700K overslot)

Shaw is a big bat that is a safe bet to go in the early second round at latest so give him a little more than he'd otherwise get and he should sign. McCarthy missed most of the season with a back issue but was a potential 1st rounder entering the season -- impact potential at plate and plus defender/arm in right. Not clear if he is willing to go back to school (I wouldn't think he would considering how deep 2016 is looking). Stewart is solid slot pick -- offensive minded corner outfielder with power, which is something system needs. Kep Brown is HUGE power prep bat who blew out his achilles earlier this spring. Wants to play pro ball; long levers and is still learning plate coverage. Reminds me some of Kris Bryant as a HSer with a slightly better swing than Bryant had at the time. Slight overdraft on Shaw and McCarthy to free up enough to make serious run at Brown. Lots of risk but I like the upside in this approach.

or

1:25 -- Daz Cameron (of, Eagle's Landing HS (GA)) -- $4 MM ($2 MM overslot)

1:36 -- Brandon Koch (rhp, Dallas Baptist) -- $700 K ($1 MM savings)

2:68 -- Austin Byler (1b, Nevada) -- $300 K ($600 K savings)

3:102 -- Brandon Lowe (2b, Maryland) -- $400 K ($150 K savings)

Daz is a top 5 type talent that may be forcing teams to pass until ARI/HOU/COL can come after him with a legit $3.5 - 4 MM (they are three teams with clear pool advantages outside of Braves, and indications are Braves are not willing to go that high at the expense of multiple of their top picks). Koch is a big fastball/slider reliever that fits as a third rounder and could speed through system; Byler is a power 1b senior sign with some approach risk; Lowe is a hit tool with solid glove and not much else - 3rd to 5th round guy. I think all three of those are decent risks to take on if it means you can get one of the draft's elite talents.

Did you mention Daz as someone to look at last year?

Admittedly, I know very little about the 4 guys mentioned. I don't have a good first impression on any of them. The catcher is a "bat first" prospect which seems to infer that he might not stick at catcher. He looks really slow and unathletic in the video so the bat would have to be "special".

Does Kingery have any power projection? Speed? Sure, he could be another Pedroia but what are the odds on that.

Kirby looks like a slinger and Stewart has a unique batting style.

Out of these 4, I'd lean towards the two college bats.

Yeah, I agree with you. I don't think drafting a guy mainly because of his college batting average is necessarily a good idea. Think Zack Cox.

Admittedly, I know very little about the 4 guys mentioned. I don't have a good first impression on any of them. The catcher is a "bat first" prospect which seems to infer that he might not stick at catcher. He looks really slow and unathletic in the video so the bat would have to be "special".

Does Kingery have any power projection? Speed? Sure, he could be another Pedroia but what are the odds on that.

Kirby looks like a slinger and Stewart has a unique batting style.

Out of these 4, I'd lean towards the two college bats.

Kingery has modest power potential. Could be a 10-12 HR guy. He's a plus runner too and a good base stealer. Also has experience in the outfield.

Did you mention Daz as someone to look at last year?

Yeah -- like Nick Gordon last year Cameron has been a known follow for a few years.

If Baltimore wants a CF option, which could be a good idea, you could sub Andrew Stevenson (cf, LSU) for Christin Stewart in option 1. Stevenson would be a plus or better defender with good feel for contact and plus to plus-plus speed. Hit well on the Cape, too.

Richie Martin's offensive numbers don't jump out at you, except for last summer (.364) in the Cape. He's only hitting .291 this year. You looks best on the eye test so far though. Also, he doesn't turn 21 until December, meaning he's a year younger than many of the other college juniors in the draft. He also is pegged to stay at SS and he looks very athletic.

Agreed. I've watched a few of his games this year, and his hitting approach looks a lot better than his numbers might suggest. In the at-bats I've seen, he looks patient, balanced, and seems to have a plan at the plate. Not a ton of power, but I think his good quickness, athleticism, and defense make up for that. We could really use a good SS prospect in the system.

I've got him going to the Cards, but if Kevin Newman were to get to the Orioles I would think that's likely best case scenario for you guys.

<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=37009451&topic_id=6479266&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

Archived