What's up with Attendance?

RoarFrom85

Does anyone have any idea whats going on with attendance at home games? Tonight (Fri), a summer weekend series with the first place Yanks draws a little over 30?!?! Tickets are going on stub hub for these "prime" and "elite" games for as low as 6 or 7 dollars? I know this isn't last years team, but come on, yankees summer series last year the whole series sold out and the cheapest seats on stub hub were 40 for saturday

The scalpers outside the ballpark said they never dreamed it could be this bad, selling box tickets for $20-25! What is going on?!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone have any idea whats going on with attendance at home games? Tonight (Fri), a summer weekend series with the first place Yanks draws a little over 30?!?! Tickets are going on stub hub for these "prime" and "elite" games for as low as 6 or 7 dollars? I know this isn't last years team, but come on, yankees summer series last year the whole series sold out and the cheapest seats on stub hub were 40 for saturday

The scalpers outside the ballpark said they never dreamed it could be this bad, selling box tickets for $20-25! What is going on?!

I honestly wonder if we're seeing the after effects of the riots.

I still maintain that this market is not ny, chi or la.

Nats being around hurts attendance. I have no dog in this fight I just think this area isn't for 2 baseball teams. Ravens/redskins is different animal because it's the nfl

I've offered everyone I can find free tickets to use to the gnome game. No one will go because they say it's not safe.

Seriously? I went to a game with my wife and two kids on Memorial Day and honestly forgot the riots were even a thing until someone brought it up days later. Of course we do live in a society where we're taught to fear everything, that danger lurks behind every fencepost and fire hydrant, so I suppose it's not surprising.

There was a lot of violence on that day as well. I've been to both the lock in game and the Memorial Day game this year. Nothing happened around the stadium on Memorial Day but there were record shootings that weekend. I'm not sure I will ever eliminate that sick sinking feeling of being locked in with the kids and not knowing how to get home safely. But it's not going to stop us from going. People who haven't been to a game just assume it's not safe. Even with all the activity around the stadium that night, I haven't seen anything. Was lucky in where I parked. Hopefully the mentality will wear off over time.

Seriously? I went to a game with my wife and two kids on Memorial Day and honestly forgot the riots were even a thing until someone brought it up days later. Of course we do live in a society where we're taught to fear everything, that danger lurks behind every fencepost and fire hydrant, so I suppose it's not surprising.

There was a lot of violence on that day as well. I've been to both the lock in game and the Memorial Day game this year. Nothing happened around the stadium on Memorial Day but there were record shootings that weekend. I'm not sure I will ever eliminate that sick sinking feeling of being locked in with the kids and not knowing how to get home safely. But it's not going to stop us from going. People who haven't been to a game just assume it's not safe. Even with all the activity around the stadium that night, I haven't seen anything. Was lucky in where I parked. Hopefully the mentality will wear off over time.

The murder numbers were higher in the 90s but pretty much every game at OPACY was a sellout.

I've seen comments like this from many members. I've been to several games since the riots, and you're correct, I never gave the riots a second thought as it was business as usual, except for maybe some extra police presence. (I did get sniffed by the K-9 on Thursday night going in, which I had no issue with.)

That all said, I don't like it when we tell people how they should feel. Many people are afraid of going places that could be conceived as dangerous. Movie theaters after that Batman shooting was a bad one. Malls. And yes, believe it or not, after 40+ shootings in Baltimore, many people would just assume keep their kids home then to take them into the city. That's their choice, and I don't feel anyone should tell them how to act or how to feel.

I was thinking the riots might be a factor, but didn't they have a sellout against Tampa Bay on a Friday night a couple of weeks ago? Why did that game sell out and not a Yankees game?

That night was union night and I would suspect that since people with access through a union who could get $6 tickets bought as many as they could. I know a guy who bought 60 tickets through the electrical union for friends and family.

Not sure of the exact Baltimore numbers but the nationwide violent crime rate was something like double what it is today.

I think the issue is the internet. In the 90's it may have been worse, but we didn't have instant access to news every time someone was shot, or stabbed, or assaulted. Etc. In other words, people were ignorant to the fact that crime was going on right around them. Now, every little thing is captured on phones and immediately posted to everyone's phones, so people THINK its worse than what it actually is.

Archived