A few lines from Baseball Prospectus 2008

Frobby

Got my copy of BP 2008 and thought I'd throw out a few quotes.

Jay Gibbons: "If we followed the old adage, 'If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all,' this entry would be blank."

Luis Hernandez: "he's no major league starter."

Nick Markakis: "He's the stud to build the next good Oriole team around."

Brian Roberts: "An underrrated player...he could be a steal for whatever team acquires him."

Erik Bedard: "Amazingly, he's been mentioned in trade talks; it should take an extraordinary package of players to get him."

Daniel Cabrera: "There's talent there, but mostly there's slack."

Jim Hoey: "He's a one pitch guy, that pitch being a fastball that can reach 100 on a kind gun but lacks movement."

Radhames Liz: "Liz has the best fastball in the Orioles system. At 95 mph, it's notnecessarily the fastest, but it has good movement."

Garrett Olson: "he has nothing left to prove in the minors."

Hayden Penn: "He's a true wild card for 2008."

Chorye Spoone: "you name an aspect of his game the Orioles were concerned about prior to 2007, and Spoone got better at it last year. He throws four pitches and keeps them all down, generating plenty of grounders."

Dave Trembley: "An old-school guy with a fetish for attention to detail and professionalism and a fondness for small ball."

Luke Scott: "capable of repeating his 2007 value at a low price for a couple of years."

Matt Albers: "He has a major league fastball and curve, but lacks command or good mechanics."

Troy Patton: "seems to have recurring shoulder problems that, combined with his age, are a huge red flag."

Dennis Sarfate: "He coud be the bat-missing righty the O's need in the late innings."

Mike Costanzo: "has a ton of power, but has been held back by his Borbdingnagian strikeout rate and high error totals at the hot corner."

Adam Jones: "one of the best defensive outfielders in the minors."

Tony Butler: "unless he can get his breaking ball over for strikes, things could get ugly at High-A [] this year."

Kam Mickolio: "tuck his name away as a deep sleeper."

George Sherrill: "the wisest cours emight be to accept last year as a fluke and deal himwhikle his value is highest...that'sa a tougher decision than it might seem; LOOGYs who can actually do their job ar far form commonplace."

Chris Tillman: "The Mariners love his makeup, his mid-90s heat, and his improving command. 'Improving' being the key word...he's far from a finished product."

And a few Cubbies:

Ronny Cedeno: "a tried and true skill set -- the same one that's earning Orlando Cabrera millions of dollars evey season."

Matt Murton: "a good, well-rounded hitter, but it looks like he's going to peak as about a .275 EqA bat, and you can subtract a few points from that for his propensity to make boneheaded plays in the outfield."

Eric Patterson: "almost certainly a major league-quality skill set, but one that isn't likely to get much better."

Jose Ceda: "his ceiling is that of a big league closer."

Sean Gallagher: "average fastball and breaking pitch, but both PECOTA and scouts are dubious about how much better he's liokely to get."

Sean Marshall: "a taller, left-handed version of Jason Marquis...at a fraction of Marquis' price."

Donald Veal: "That Veal is the best pitching prospect the Cubs have is irrefutable evidence that their farm system is no longer the pitching factory that it once was."

Got my copy of BP 2008 and thought I'd throw out a few quotes.

Jay Gibbons: "If we followed the old adage, 'If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all,' this entry would be blank."

Luis Hernandez: "he's no major league starter."

Nick Markakis: "He's the stud to build the next good Oriole team around."

Brian Roberts: "An underrrated player...he could be a steal for whatever team acquires him."

Erik Bedard: "Amazingly, he's been mentioned in trade talks; it should take an extraordinary package of players to get him."

Daniel Cabrera: "There's talent there, but mostly there's slack."

Jim Hoey: "He's a one pitch guy, that pitch being a fastball that can reach 100 on a kind gun but lacks movement."

Radhames Liz: "Liz has the best fastball in the Orioles system. At 95 mph, it's notnecessarily the fastest, but it has good movement."

Garrett Olson: "he has nothing left to prove in the minors."

Hayden Penn: "He's a true wild card for 2008."

Chorye Spoone: "you name an aspect of his game the Orioles were concerned about prior to 2007, and Spoone got better at it last year. He throws four pitches and keeps them all down, generating plenty of grounders."

Dave Trembley: "An old-school guy with a fetish for attention to detail and professionalism and a fondness for small ball."

Luke Scott: "capable of repeating his 2007 value at a low price for a couple of years."

Matt Albers: "He has a major league fastball and curve, but lacks command or good mechanics."

Troy Patton: "seems to have recurring shoulder problems that, combined with his age, are a huge red flag."

Dennis Sarfate: "He coud be the bat-missing righty the O's need in the late innings."

Mike Costanzo: "has a ton of power, but has been held back by his Borbdingnagian strikeout rate and high error totals at the hot corner."

Adam Jones: "one of the best defensive outfielders in the minors."

Tony Butler: "unless he can get his breaking ball over for strikes, things could get ugly at High-A [] this year."

Kam Mickolio: "tuck his name away as a deep sleeper."

George Sherrill: "the wisest cours emight be to accept last year as a fluke and deal himwhikle his value is highest...that'sa a tougher decision than it might seem; LOOGYs who can actually do their job ar far form commonplace."

Chris Tillman: "The Mariners love his makeup, his mid-90s heat, and his improving command. 'Improving' being the key word...he's far from a finished product."

It's brobdingnagian, Frobby. Sheesh.

Archived