Sun articles on recruiting and potential transfers

inmn

Not sure what you are saying here. Your original point was that GW inherited no talent -you have been proven wrong so now in typical fashion you pick another argument. Like I said I see no point to this but you and others attacking anyone who criticizes GW is simply wrong, and in this case factually wrong. Md finished 19-14 and 6-8 against some very talented teams (as you point out) which seems to me to help make ACCinfo's case. If you want to fast forward a few years I would agree with you but that was not the point of your post.

If your point related to players off those teams in the pros please do your homework before posting. Again as ACCInfo stated Md had 4 players off that roster in the pros; as for Duke Hill and Henderson while drafted never played in the NBA, Davis played a total of 68 games. For GT Mackey played in 22 games and Oliver 118. If you want to get technical Duke and Md each had 3 solid pros (counting Alaa) Tech had two.

Either way the point was that the team GW inherited in 89-90 was talented and I think a reasonable person would agree.

I am not "attacking" anyone so enough with the foolish misrepresentations of my posts.

My point, to spell it out more clearly, was that though the initial team had some players that wound up in the NBA, it was not especially talented relative to the other teams in the ACC at the time, at least not the top ACC teams. While the cupboard was not bare, it would be hard to argue that the talent present was just as good as that of the competition.

And the next season, after Massenburg and Mustaf went to the NBA and with Walt Williams missing half a season, that team was simply not very talented, unless you think very highly of Matt Roe and Garfield Smith.

The team was comparable to this year's team in wins against a much better ACC-both you and 8 thought this was a talented team so what's the difference?

Is this a serious question? I believe you answered it yourself. The ACC was simply much better back then. This year's Clemson team was the third best in the ACC, and their roster might not have contained a single player that will ever be drafted. I don't think anyone is likely to argue that the '90 team wasn't more talented than the '08 team in absolute terms, but relative to their competition in the ACC they might just be.

(hopefully this response was not in my "typical" fashion")

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It should be pointed out that Keith Cavanaugh absolutely destroyed Donte Greene on WNST today.

Saying that:

1) He wouldn't have had an offer as a sophomore, or taken a visit then

2) He said himself that he wasn't recruited at all by Maryland

3) He grew up in North Carolina wanting to go to UNC

Also brought up how this area is such a transient place, players go grow up elsewhere before coming here (Greene, Anthony in New York, etc.).

You know, the other side of the story ;)

It should be pointed out that Keith Cavanaugh absolutely destroyed Donte Greene on WNST today.

Saying that:

1) He wouldn't have had an offer as a sophomore, or taken a visit then

2) He said himself that he wasn't recruited at all by Maryland

3) He grew up in North Carolina wanting to go to UNC

Also brought up how this area is such a transient place, players go grow up elsewhere before coming here (Greene, Anthony in New York, etc.).

You know, the other side of the story ;)

I don't know how anyone can take Cavanaugh seriously on a subject like this given the inherent conflict of his position. Sophmores visit unofficially all the time, Md has at least two on conditional offers right now-he of all people should know that. Greene has been consistent in his statements going back to his commitment to Syracuse-that GW did not spend time with him. He did want an offer from NC but didn't get one-but what does that have to do with Md recruiting him? What's Md got to lose, might Dino Gregory go somewhere else?? Why would he make this up, what possible motive would he have? Why is this a reoccurring theme with recruits over the years?? Doesn't really matter if this recruiting class shows up, GW seems to have taken a much more serious interest in recruiting.....I wonder why?

I am not "attacking" anyone so enough with the foolish misrepresentations of my posts.My point, to spell it out more clearly, was that though the initial team had some players that wound up in the NBA, it was not especially talented relative to the other teams in the ACC at the time, at least not the top ACC teams.

Is it possible to make a more disingenuous statement??!!

Quote:

"You're absolutely right, the talent was so overwhelming on that first team that the same group had gone 9-20 the year before including a 1-13 record in the ACC that was good for dead last in the league"

Thanks for the clarification......sure seemed like you thought the team wasn't very talented.

Right, the team wasn't in the top half of the league in talent at the time hence it "was not very talented". If anyone would like to disagree, feel free to contrast the Terps roster with the other teams in the league as I did and come to a different conclusion.

Bowman to come to MD afterall? From an entry by Matt Bracken in the Sun's Recruiting Report on March 29th:

Here’s an interesting development in the Ken Bowman recruitment. The Topeka (Kan.) Journal-Capital spoke with the head coach at Hutchinson (Kan.) C.C., and he had this to say about Bowman’s status.

Hutchinson coach Ryan Swanson said K-State remains in the mix for Bowman, even though the 6-foot-8 forward gave a verbal commitment to Maryland.

"He had verbally committed," Swanson said. "He said it, but he still wanted to visit K-State, so I’m not sure how solid of a commitment it was."

This article in today's Sun makes it appear that Bowman is not coming to Maryland (nor would he qualify if there was room and/or he wanted to be here). Also, this says that Mosley has yet to gain a qualifying SAT/ACT score. Is this something that's well-known?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/basketball/mens/bal-sp.terpshoop11apr11,0,285546.story

1) Maze won't ever qualify to play at MD.

2) Moseley won't make it this year.

3) They may try to get Tyree Evans another JUCO who has been to several JUCO schools because of a very checkered past including being charged with statuetory rape and later pleading guilty to assault. He was told by Cinn, and then KAnsas State thanks bit no thanks. He visited MD today and Williams went to see him last week.

4) Eric Hayes will transfer to Old Dominion

5) Grevis Vasquez will leave to play pro ball most likely in Europe or south America,

Throw in the complete waste of times on Majok, Terrence Jennings, Ken Bowman, and now Boby Maze and you have a real big recruiting mess.

3) They may try to get Tyree Evans another JUCO who has been to several JUCO schools because of a very checkered past including being charged with statuetory rape and later pleading guilty to assault. He was told by Cinn, and then KAnsas State thanks bit no thanks. He visited MD today and Williams went to see him last week.

5) Grevis Vasquez will leave to play pro ball most likely in Europe or south America,

Throw in the complete waste of times on Majok, Terrence Jennings, Ken Bowman, and now Boby Maze and you have a real big recruiting mess.

Well accinfo is 1 for 5 so far. Evans is a Terp. Lets see how many more more he gets right.

If somehow we can get Maze qualified and Vasquez stays I'm pretty stoked to see what should be an exciting lineup with Maze at the 1, Evans at the 2 and GV playing the 3.

I was optimistic these were just predictions but with the Evans signing I am beginning to wonder. Maze and Bowman were critical, they filled huge voids-penetration and tough rebounder to go with Gilchrist. I can't help but think that with the graduation rate the oversight board (or Yow?) is making it more difficult for GW. Why would they bring in Evans if they have Mosley and Bowie?

With so many unknowns this program is looking more and more like a train wreck. Too many questionable students, questionable characters, and questionable talents.......Lefty ended the same way recruiting the Rivers, Greggs, and Longs of the world. On the other hand maybe last year's team was as bad as some said :rolleyes: and this is the beginning of a complete makeover. Either way the clock is ticking.

Archived