D. J. Stewart Debut Thursday vs. Staten Island

bobmc

The sign was based on the Orioles' belief that he was a good hitter with excellent intangibles. So far, he hasn't hit well enough to justify the pick.

He's been a disappointment, no doubt. Saying that, I'm not going to make a final judgement on the guy after his NY-Penn League season. We'll see how he hits next year before starting to draw some real conclusions.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still at .225

I guess they will bump him to Delmarva next year only because he is a first round pick. He'll be 22 at low A. He has no defensive value. Never understood this pick, except of course he was easy to sign. Of course I don't undertand the value in giving slot to below slot talent. Oh well can't wait to see what we draft with all those compensatory picks next June

Stewart was not considered a reach or a below slot talent. He was drafted around the area where he was expected to be.

He certainly did not impress in his first year. Hopefully an offseason of big league training and instruction can help and he can have a good season next year.

What the heck are intangibles? Is that what you have when you manage to be a good college player even though you are slow and have a noodle arm?

Keep intangibles lets draft at least some talent in the freakin first round

Things like being a hard worker who will fight through a bad stretch in his first minor league short season and figure things out.

What the heck are intangibles? Is that what you have when you manage to be a good college player even though you are slow and have a noodle arm?

This is not even worth a response. You have no idea what you are talking about and it would be best if you kept your figurative mouth shut.

I still like the Stewart pick, though I'm not as bullish as I was on draft day. I still think he's an everyday major league LF. Struggling in the NYPL isn't going to do a lot to change my mind.

Have you watched him play? He's a lot more athletic than his frame would suggest. He's not fast, but he's certainly not slow. He was also a stud running back prospect in HS. His hitting has certainly been a disappointment so far, but let's give him more than a couple hundred at-bats before it's suggested he doesn't have "talent."

He's built like Steve Pearce. Short guys always look fat. I'm sure that guy has a lot of muscle.

I've seen him close up many times and the dude is built. Stocky, but all muscle.

Pretty discouraging debut season. His bat was supposed to be his calling card. Let's face it, it was supposedly a week draft and we took him late in the first round. I would have much preferred another HS bat in round one and round two (the Hughes pick). I guess we'll get a better handle on it next season but it doesn't look good so far.

Well, just two HS bats later, the Orioles got Mountcastle, so unless they liked Ke'Bryan Hayes better, there's a good chance that if they'd gone HS bat at 25, it would have been a guy they got anyway. Stewart was a guy I've wanted the Orioles to get since 2013, so I might be a little biased here, but I'm still a believer. Hopefully I'll get to see him at some point next year.

Pretty discouraging debut season. His bat was supposed to be his calling card. Let's face it, it was supposedly a week draft and we took him late in the first round. I would have much preferred another HS bat in round one and round two (the Hughes pick). I guess we'll get a better handle on it next season but it doesn't look good so far.

Still liked the idea of going for big raw power via Shaw.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=shaw--000chr

Or KeBryan Hayes for pure HS bat that could have a little bit of pop to boot.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=hayes-000keb

I've seen him close up many times and the dude is built. Stocky, but all muscle.

Agree, I would not want to have to tackle him in the open field.

I think we'll have to wait until next year to get a better picture. Having seen him a few times, it looks to me that he's getting more upright; so in addition to getting used to the pros, they may be tweaking his stance and mechanics as well (despite saying they would not).

I think its too early to write this kid off. Through the grapevine I heard he made the adjustments to his stance on his own. Personally I would not have messed with anything that major during the season but he is young and will have to learn.

The more I watch Mullins play though the more I believe he was the bargain of the year. The guy is just fun to watch.

Nobody is writing him off just don't get drafting a kid with a noodle arm and power that can't stick at 1B with a first round pick. He might be a good singles hitter (I bet he could be), but where is he going to play?

All the money we spend on this organization, we need more money spent on scouting IMHO.

Nobody is writing him off just don't get drafting a kid with a noodle arm and power that can't stick at 1B with a first round pick. He might be a good singles hitter (I bet he could be), but where is he going to play?

All the money we spend on this organization, we need more money spent on scouting IMHO.

Read the words you used to describe him.

You are writing him off.

You are dismissing him as a singles hitter without a defensive position.

Read the words you used to describe him.

You are writing him off.

You are dismissing him as a singles hitter without a defensive position.

He has warning track power from what I have read. I told my friend about this guy at lunch who used to be a scout. I asked him to give me his take. I will let you know what he says.

He has warning track power from what I have read. I told my friend about this guy at lunch who used to be a scout. I asked him to give me his take. I will let you know what he says.

What I am saying is, by your use of language, you are dismissing him.

Those are dismissive terms you are using.

Archived