D. J. Stewart Debut Thursday vs. Staten Island

bobmc

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's definitely had a rough beginning to his professional career. Saying that, lots of guys have struggled that first year and still ended up in the big leagues. Copare what he's done to Baltimore-native and former University of Maryland outfielder Lamont Wade has done as a pro. Grant it Wade is doing this in the Appy league vice the NY-Penn League, but I'd love to see the Orioles draft a guy who has immediate success like that. Not to mention Wade is a 9th round pick.

I've seen Stewart a bunch of times now; he looks to be hitting the ball with more authority (by the eye test). Missed a HR tonight by a few feet in deep center. Shot a rocket into the 2B hole tonight with the bases loaded in the 9th; a great play kept the game from continuing.

His attitude and hustle seem infectious and genuine. Made the last out in a long game, and signed a hundred autographs in the dark while the fireworks went off.

He's definitely had a rough beginning to his professional career. Saying that, lots of guys have struggled that first year and still ended up in the big leagues. Copare what he's done to Baltimore-native and former University of Maryland outfielder Lamont Wade has done as a pro. Grant it Wade is doing this in the Appy league vice the NY-Penn League, but I'd love to see the Orioles draft a guy who has immediate success like that. Not to mention Wade is a 9th round pick.

I'm not a big NCAA baseball fan but I have watched MD in the regionals the last two years. I was pretty surprised we didn't draft the guy. I know DD likes to have "local" guys in the system. All the more reason to hate the Twins.

I've seen Stewart a bunch of times now; he looks to be hitting the ball with more authority (by the eye test). Missed a HR tonight by a few feet in deep center. Shot a rocket into the 2B hole tonight with the bases loaded in the 9th; a great play kept the game from continuing.

His attitude and hustle seem infectious and genuine. Made the last out in a long game, and signed a hundred autographs in the dark while the fireworks went off.

Good to hear. Kid has been grinding on at bats since February. Have a feeling he will be good next year at Frederick.

I got curious how some of the other college position players drafted in the first round have done so far.

Darby Swanson (SS drafted 1st): .918 in the Midwest League (low A)

Alex Bregman (SS drafted 2nd): .699 in low A, .818 in high A

Andrew Benintendi (OF/DH drafted 7th): .948 in the NY-Penn, 1.164 in the Sally.

Ian Happ (OF drafted 9th): .898 in the Northwest League, .820 in the Midwest

Kevin Newman (SS drafted 19th): .620 in the NY-Penn, .605 in the Sally

Richie Martin (SS drafted 20th): .675 in the NY-Penn

Taylor Ward (C drafted 21st): .948 in the Pioneer League (rookie level), .808 in the Midwest

Kyle Holder (SS drafted 30th): .477 in the NY-Penn

Chris Shaw (1b drafted 31st): .857 in the Midwest

Christin Stewart (OF/DH drafted 34th): .812 in the NY-Penn, then .877 in the Midwest (low A).

Taylor Ward was drafted immediately after D.J. Stewart, and I distinctly recall the cameras were showing the Angels' front office guys high-fiving each other after the Orioles made their pick.

Still at .225

I guess they will bump him to Delmarva next year only because he is a first round pick. He'll be 22 at low A. He has no defensive value. Never understood this pick, except of course he was easy to sign. Of course I don't undertand the value in giving slot to below slot talent. Oh well can't wait to see what we draft with all those compensatory picks next June

Still at .225

I guess they will bump him to Delmarva next year only because he is a first round pick. He'll be 22 at low A. He has no defensive value. Never understood this pick, except of course he was easy to sign. Of course I don't undertand the value in giving slot to below slot talent. Oh well can't wait to see what we draft with all those compensatory picks next June

The sign was based on the Orioles' belief that he was a good hitter with excellent intangibles. So far, he hasn't hit well enough to justify the pick.

The sign was based on the Orioles' belief that he was a good hitter with excellent intangibles. So far, he hasn't hit well enough to justify the pick.

What the heck are intangibles? Is that what you have when you manage to be a good college player even though you are slow and have a noodle arm?

Keep intangibles lets draft at least some talent in the freakin first round

Archived