D. J. Stewart Debut Thursday vs. Staten Island

bobmc

Could it be possible that you are too personally close to some of these players to make a fair assessment? You like everyone it seems.

Plenty of players that I don't care for. Plenty of Orioles and Orioles farm hands that I have little hope for or attachment to. I grew attached to the PED using, HR hitting DH Nelson Cruz. I would have resigned him. But I would have gotten fired at some point over it.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I always love people who 'read' things and make conclusions based solely off of that.

Watch the player a few times, then make a statement that it was a bad pick.

This. Scouting isn't some magical gift handed down from the baseball gods, you can do it yourself. If you want people to respect your opinion, don't just parrot stuff you've read and act aggrieved when people call you out on it.

Watching Stewart again tonight. Had a throw to the plate on a 'no chance' sac fly. Perfect, solid throw from deep LF. It might not be a RF arm, but it ain't Nate McClouth.

But I read he had a noodle arm, therefore it was a bad pick.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v37009199/draft-report-dj-stewart-college-outfielder

I guess MLB saying "he has a below average arm limiting him to left field" is just more anti-Oriole rhetoric. Everyone is out to get us like Ken Rosenthal.

We will see how it plays out. I think he doesn't have the power to stick at 1B and he defense isn't good enough to play in the OF in the majors. We will see.

If I believed we had the ability to correct his stance, I might be a believer.

I guess MLB saying "he has a below average arm limiting him to left field" is just more anti-Oriole rhetoric. Everyone is out to get us like Ken Rosenthal.

We will see how it plays out. I think he doesn't have the power to stick at 1B and he defense isn't good enough to play in the OF in the majors. We will see.

It is almost funny how you take "below average arm" and turn it into "his defense isn't good enough to play in the OF in the majors."

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">DJ Stewart with a homerun in the first to go ahead 1-0</p>— Aberdeen IronBirds (@IronBirds) <a href="

">September 5, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

You're not only stubbornly underinformed, you're misreading what little information you're going off of. "Below average arm limiting him to LF" does not mean "he's going to have to play 1B." The only way you could think that is if you're suffering from a terrible case of confirmation bias.

And what makes you think a) he doesn't have the power to stick at 1B, b) his defense isn't good enough to play LF, c) he needs to correct his stance? Have you ever seen him play? Or do you think your parroting should be taken with the same weight of the opinions of those of us who have actually taken the time to form our own opinions?

Scouts have him at 10-15 homers max without an adjustment to the stance. Did you listen to the video or read some of the write ups? That's where I got he doesn't have enough power to stick at 1b.

Most intelligent scouts realize his stance needs altering. If you don't get that, I don't know what to tell you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here you go again, repeating what other people say and deciding it's what you think as well. Why would I need to listen to the video or read writeups? I watched him play several nights a week for an entire summer, and I followed him when he was at FSU. Please stop assuming I'm as ignorant as you are.

I think Stewart has 30-HR potential because he hits the ball with backspin, uses his entire body to create torque in the swing, and can hit home runs to all fields, not just turning on pitches he can pull. I think he can play a decent left field because he's smart with positioning and tracks the ball well, and his arm is accurate if not exceedingly strong.

What you're doing is like showing up to a pie-baking contest with a frozen apple pie, deriding everyone else's entries, and then when you're called out on it, saying "What? Every intelligent baker knows that apple pie is best with a lattice crust." It's not that your pie is bad, it's that you bought it at the supermarket.

Archived