D. J. Stewart Debut Thursday vs. Staten Island

bobmc

I blame Scott Boras. He should have signed for slot first week as the player wanted to.

I certainly hope you are joking. That might have been an excuse for a cold start, but Stewart has 261 PA by now, and after getting his average up to .250 on August 10 (.711 OPS), has batted .189 (.566) since then. No way is that Scott Boras' fault.

I'm not writing off Stewart, but he has had a very disappointing debut season and I'm not buying any excuses for it. I just hope he does better next year.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I certainly hope you are joking. That might have been an excuse for a cold start, but Stewart has 261 PA by now, and after getting his average up to .250 on August 10 (.711 OPS), has batted .189 (.566) since then. No way is that Scott Boras' fault.

I'm not writing off Stewart, but he has had a very disappointing debut season and I'm not buying any excuses for it. I just hope he does better next year.

I'm concerned. I figured that while he had a relatively low ceiling, being a college bat with an advanced approach would allow him to dominate in the lower levels of the minors.

Not encouraging info, but spoke to pro scout from AL East org this weekend who had Aberdeen. Said he put Stewart in as up-and-down guy; thought he should have been a third or fourth rounder -- didn't do anything well and didn't think he'd get to more than average power, best case. Said he was low man on him and others in org had him higher. Didn't like much he saw at Aberdeen. Again, not fun info but figured I'd pass along.

Not encouraging info, but spoke to pro scout from AL East org this weekend who had Aberdeen. Said he put Stewart in as up-and-down guy; thought he should have been a third or fourth rounder -- didn't do anything well and didn't think he'd get to more than average power, best case. Said he was low man on him and others in org had him higher. Didn't like much he saw at Aberdeen. Again, not fun info but figured I'd pass along.

Well there you go. We blew it. I saw a lot of write ups have him mid first. Including Kiley.

Well there you go. We blew it. I saw a lot of write ups have him mid first. Including Kiley.

I think this guy was pretty clearly the low man (he and I spent some time discussing Piscotty, who he was also low on and has looked really good for the Cardinals). I think it is one guys opinion; nothing more.

Here you go again, repeating what other people say and deciding it's what you think as well. Why would I need to listen to the video or read writeups? I watched him play several nights a week for an entire summer, and I followed him when he was at FSU. Please stop assuming I'm as ignorant as you are.

I think Stewart has 30-HR potential because he hits the ball with backspin, uses his entire body to create torque in the swing, and can hit home runs to all fields, not just turning on pitches he can pull. I think he can play a decent left field because he's smart with positioning and tracks the ball well, and his arm is accurate if not exceedingly strong.

What you're doing is like showing up to a pie-baking contest with a frozen apple pie, deriding everyone else's entries, and then when you're called out on it, saying "What? Every intelligent baker knows that apple pie is best with a lattice crust." It's not that your pie is bad, it's that you bought it at the supermarket.

Wow. Listen, clearly you are related to Stewart or a good friend of his. I don't hate the guy but just bc I and others disagree with you seeing him play doesn't make you the top authority on the subject either.

I guess I am pro expert on all Bowie players bc I have season tickets there?

Just don't think he is a first rounder. My friend who was a scout, unlike you, agrees.

Let's agree to disagree and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. Listen, clearly you are related to Stewart or a good friend of his. I don't hate the guy but just bc I and others disagree with you seeing him play doesn't make you the top authority on the subject either.

I guess I am pro expert on all Bowie players bc I have season tickets there?

Just don't think he is a first rounder. My friend who was a scout, unlike you, agrees.

Let's agree to disagree and move on.

You remind me of the movie Metropolitan, where the main character was basing all of his opinions of novels from critic's reviews.

You have to actually read the book dude. Pretty basic concept. You can parrot other people's takes all day, but you still haven't seen the kid play.

You remind me of the movie Metropolitan, where the main character was basing all of his opinions of novels from critic's reviews.

You have to actually read the book dude. Pretty basic concept. You can parrot other people's takes all day, but you still haven't seen the kid play.

I guess you aren't understanding what I wrote. Based on that, do you consider me an expert for Bowie players bc I have season tickets?

I wouldn't say I was.

When I saw Alvarez for myself and said he doesn't look bad out there (great arm, better range than reported): did that make me an expert?

I know this other guy is in the business but doesn't negate my friend's opinion who worked for 2 major league teams.

So, piling on might be good fun for you but doesn't make you right.

No one is claiming to be an expert. But you are dismissing someone you have never seen. Thats insanity.

Again, do you just like to bully and pile on or read what I actually wrote?

I don't think he is a first round pick with the unorthodox stance and below average arm. I don't hate the kid. I hope he is a smashing success. With adjustments, he might get more power. He clearly has a plus bat.

Where am I dismissing him? Why would I? I might be questioning the confidence in pick selection. That is perfectly rationale with our track record but that doesn't mean I am dismissing him. Please don't put words on my mouth.

Nobody is writing him off just don't get drafting a kid with a noodle arm and power that can't stick at 1B with a first round pick. He might be a good singles hitter (I bet he could be), but where is he going to play?

All the money we spend on this organization, we need more money spent on scouting IMHO.

He has warning track power from what I have read. I told my friend about this guy at lunch who used to be a scout. I asked him to give me his take. I will let you know what he says.
http://m.mlb.com/video/v37009199/draft-report-dj-stewart-college-outfielder

I guess MLB saying "he has a below average arm limiting him to left field" is just more anti-Oriole rhetoric. Everyone is out to get us like Ken Rosenthal.

We will see how it plays out. I think he doesn't have the power to stick at 1B and he defense isn't good enough to play in the OF in the majors. We will see.

If I believed we had the ability to correct his stance, I might be a believer.

None of the above is dismissing him; particularly without having seen him. Right.

Again, do you just like to bully and pile on or read what I actually wrote?

I don't think he is a first round pick with the unorthodox stance and below average arm. I don't hate the kid. I hope he is a smashing success. With adjustments, he might get more power. He clearly has a plus bat.

Where am I dismissing him? Why would I? I might be questioning the confidence in pick selection. That is perfectly rationale with our track record but that doesn't mean I am dismissing him. Please don't put words on my mouth.

You are like the apples guy in the bar from Good Will Hunting.

Do you have any thoughts of your own on this matter?

Archived