This is A Mess (Mega RANT Thread)

eddie83

I am really hoping they make a run at Denard Span, or Nori Aoki (if his option is declined)

That's a Nelson Cruz litmus test signing. "Would you aggressively go after a 33-year-old, previously average-ish free agent coming off a career year?" "Sure" "Sorry, you don't get the job."

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am really hoping they make a run at Denard Span, or Nori Aoki (if his option is declined)

Why do people keep mentioning Denard Span? He's had back and hamstring issues all year. And if he was healthy, why would the Nationals trade him? Makes no sense at all.

I'm not being paid for my decision making, but I'd have a hard time spending $1M on a guy you'd reasonably expect to top out at less than a win in value. If you're a 4th option out of the pen you're gone when your arb numbers get much over a million.

Wright signed for 1.7 so I figured I would bump it up to two.

I am still worried about this season. Next year who replaces Davis?

My point is in hindsight this has not been DD's finest hour. DeAza, Young, Cabrerra all gone and so is about 10M. We are at a point where we are counting on Paredes to keep hitting which I am not sold that he will. We lack a reliable LH out of the pen. Our division sucks and we need to take advantage of it.

Why do people keep mentioning Denard Span? He's had back and hamstring issues all year. And if he was healthy, why would the Nationals trade him? Makes no sense at all.

Go look at his numbers. True Leadoff hitter, basestealing speed, above average defense, we need an OF, his presence moves Machado down in the order, will not cost top$$. And hes a free agent, Nationals are not "trading" him. It makes tons of sense actually

Go look at his numbers. True Leadoff hitter, basestealing speed, above average defense, we need an OF, his presence moves Machado down in the order, will not cost top$$. And hes a free agent, Nationals are not "trading" him. It makes tons of sense actually

I thought you meant that we should trade for him this season. My fault.

That's a Nelson Cruz litmus test signing. "Would you aggressively go after a 33-year-old, previously average-ish free agent coming off a career year?" "Sure" "Sorry, you don't get the job."

Nothing about this resembles anything about Cruz. Cruz cost ^ $50 million. Aoki is at $4 million this year. He's cheap and provides average/ OBP and defense. Cruz gives HR's

The team would be maybe a win better with Markakis now, probably worse off in the future. Of course you can keep running role players out there and win. Teams have been doing that for 140 years. The Orioles of the late 70s and early 80s won 90 games almost every year while giving 200, 300, 400 ABs to Benny Ayala, Jim Dwyer, John Lowenstein, Joe Nolan, Kiko Garcia, Pat Kelly, etc. The '12 and '14 Orioles made the playoffs with half a roster of random role players.

But in the 70's and 80's teams had 6-7 man benches, not now. With only 4 man benches it is hard to platoon everywhere.

I honestly cannot look back and see a lot of things I would have done differently. Cruz and Markakis-too much money for too many years. Miller-Maybe if we DFA DeAza, Matusz and Hunter, we can afford him, but he got a four year contract. Too much for a reliever. Plus, I think we were counting on DeAza as our LFer.

On June 28th when we took a DH from CLE there was no mess. Apparently it has materialized in the last 10 days. Chiefly we have stopped hitting during that stint. The SP and RP has been fairly steady, but for Gausman's meltdown and Norris, and the defense has been very good. As to the offense, principle reasons for it's mess are Adam Jones, and Matt Wieters. I wouldn't blame DD for them. Could just as well blame the mess on the Buck Gnome as DD.

Baltimore's payroll was 17th highest in baseball to start the season, sandwiched between Kansas City and Minnesota.

Baltimore's revenue is comparable to Seattle (whose payroll is $10 million higher) and Detroit (whose payroll is $63 million higher). I'm sure DD would love an extra $10-63 million to work with but it's the owner who decides how many checks he wants to write and how much cash he wants to put in the vault.

Yeah, the payroll is higher than ever. But guess what? Money is worth less than ever.

It is the cheapness of the owner coupled with terrible draft picks by the front office that has forced DD to try and put a roster together with spit and duct tape.

So you're saying the owner, Peter Angelos, made the decision not to bring back Nick Markakis, one of his favorites, by capping a salary? If you believe that I have nothing else to contribute to this thread.

On June 28th when we took a DH from CLE there was no mess. Apparently it has materialized in the last 10 days. Chiefly we have stopped hitting during that stint. The SP and RP has been fairly steady, but for Gausman's meltdown and Norris, and the defense has been very good. As to the offense, principle reasons for it's mess are Adam Jones, and Matt Wieters. I wouldn't blame DD for them. Could just as well blame the mess on the Buck Gnome as DD.

At the end of the day we should not be relying on our catcher coming off of TJ surgery to carry a big load. We moved Chris Davis to the OF for Chris Parmelee not Anthony Rizzo.

I agree with Gordo.

:leaving:

So you're saying the owner, Peter Angelos, made the decision not to bring back Nick Markakis, one of his favorites, by capping a salary? If you believe that I have nothing else to contribute to this thread.

I believe Dan was given a firm budget and Nick didn't fit within its parameters.

Archived