Orioles interested in Justin Upton, others

jamesenoch

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm torn with this thought process. I'm really really tired of waiting on Bundy, guy can't stay in one piece. Besides Gausman I'm just indifferent to everyone else. So with that being said, is be fine with trading those guys, again not Gausman, in order to win now. However, I do get this sick feeling every time I see EdRod killing it in Boston. Who knows what the right decision is until it's hindsight.
No one is going to take an injured Bundy, who has been shut down for the year. And I don't think that the O's have the personnel to make even a trade for a rental. Plus I'm not interested in a rental unless there is a decent chance that we could sign him if he works out.

I understand that sentiment but if we have a chance to win now, isn't that more important than lining things up to maybe win later? I know people on here like to make sweeping generalizations like, " this isn't a playoff team". Or, " this maybe a playoff team, but no threat to win a series". But the fact is, if they get hot at the right time, they can win a World Series. This team is as talented as any in our division. We are a week away from being back in first. We have a bunch of pending free agents and if Dan and Buck wanna be bullish, put their heads down, and go balls out yo try to win, then I'm all for it. The farm system is weak, what's a few more pieces? Then take our draft picks and try to rebuild.

I'm sorry but I don't want to see the Orioles give up what little talent they have left on the farm to win 87, 88 games in an attempt to fluke a WS appearance by getting hot at the right time. The Seattle Mariners traded away Adam Jones and Chris Tillman for Erik Bedard by thinking that way. It set their franchise back for years and they still haven't recovered from that decision. The Orioles need to look at organizations like the Cardinals and Giants who consistently win by drafting and developing players and holding on to them. Imagine how much things would have been different if the Giants had traded away Belt, Panik or Bumgarner or if the Cardinals had traded away Molina, Wong, or Carpenter for rentals when they were young players in their farm system. Those teams wouldn't be winning the way they are right now.

I'm torn with this thought process. I'm really really tired of waiting on Bundy, guy can't stay in one piece. Besides Gausman I'm just indifferent to everyone else. So with that being said, is be fine with trading those guys, again not Gausman, in order to win now. However, I do get this sick feeling every time I see EdRod killing it in Boston. Who knows what the right decision is until it's hindsight.

I'm sick and tired of Bundy as well but it doesn't make sense to trade him when his stock is at his lowest point. And it especially don't make sense to trade him for a rental who won't be here in three months. It only makes sense to trade him for a good player with several years of team control left. Unfortunately, no team will give up a player like that for a pitcher with the injury history that Bundy has.

I'm sorry but I don't want to see the Orioles give up what little talent they have left on the farm to win 87, 88 games in an attempt to fluke a WS appearance by getting hot at the right time. The Seattle Mariners traded away Adam Jones and Chris Tillman for Erik Bedard by thinking that way. It set their franchise back for years and they still haven't recovered from that decision. The Orioles need to look at organizations like the Cardinals and Giants who consistently win by drafting and developing players and holding on to them. Imagine how much things would have been different if the Giants had traded away Belt, Panik or Bumgarner or if the Cardinals had traded away Molina, Wong, or Carpenter for rentals when they were young players in their farm system. Those teams wouldn't be winning the way they are right now.

The Giants did exactly that last year when they traded for Jake Peavy to bolster their rotation giving away two of their top prospects, Escobar and Hembree.

And I'd say they got hot at the right time considering they were a WC team.

I'm sick and tired of Bundy as well but it doesn't make sense to trade him when his stock is at his lowest point. And it especially don't make sense to trade him for a rental who won't be here in three months. It only makes sense to trade him for a good player with several years of team control left. Unfortunately, no team will give up a player like that for a pitcher with the injury history that Bundy has.

I don't have all the details TINSTAAPP, but it sounds like Bundy stock has gone from Blue Chip to NASDAQ to near Penny Stock potential at this point. Might be wallpaper if we wait any longer.

You know what they say...There is no........

I don't have all the details TINSTAAPP, but it sounds like Bundy stock has gone from Blue Chip to NASDAQ to near Penny Stock potential at this point. Might be wallpaper if we wait any longer.

You know what they say...There is no........

If he changed his name from Bundy his problems would be solved. :rolleyes:

Some of you who are vehemently against "mortgaging" our future can be found posting in the past, and in other very active threads, about how depleted and weak our farm system is. Not sure how you can have it both ways.

As for me, I do think our farm system is weak. Weakening it more to acquire players to make a run seems to make perfect sense (if teams are willing to take our marginal prospects). It's not mortgaging the future if there is nothing to mortgage. The point being - they are going to need to reload after this season no matter what. They could sell to start the reloading earlier, but that doesn't seem to make sense either.

I understand that sentiment but if we have a chance to win now, isn't that more important than lining things up to maybe win later? I know people on here like to make sweeping generalizations like, " this isn't a playoff team". Or, " this maybe a playoff team, but no threat to win a series". But the fact is, if they get hot at the right time, they can win a World Series. This team is as talented as any in our division. We are a week away from being back in first. We have a bunch of pending free agents and if Dan and Buck wanna be bullish, put their heads down, and go balls out yo try to win, then I'm all for it. The farm system is weak, what's a few more pieces? Then take our draft picks and try to rebuild.

I don't agree with sacrificing our future just to give us a little bit better chance now. Maybe if this team truly was one player away from a world series, but we're a team thats more like one player away from maybe making the playoffs. We're too far off at this point to mortgage the future.

Archived