Wild Idea: Offer O'Day the QO

Aristotelian

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would you give a QO to Pearce?

Touche, good point. I guess it is not true across the board about one year contracts. I guess I look at Oday as an upper echelon reliever and believe he will "get paid", perhaps closer money. Pearce is a fourth OF that hasn't proven he can succeed for more than one season. So no, I wouldn't, and you made your point, but I would still be willing to pay him.

Touche' date=' good point. I guess it is not true across the board about one year contracts. I guess I look at Oday as an upper echelon reliever and believe he will "get paid", perhaps closer money. Pearce is a fourth OF that hasn't proven he can succeed for more than one season. So no, I wouldn't, and you made your point, but I would still be willing to pay him.[/quote']

Oday, that is.

I suppose I can maybe see O'Day getting a 3/27 offer from somebody, maybe even with a QO attached, and maybe he would see that as preferable to 1/16, and maybe he wouldn't care about resetting the salary scale for relievers despite being the union rep, so maybe he would turn a QO down. But that's a lot of maybes, probably 3 or 4 too many for a risk-adverse team like the O's.

Meanwhile, sure the O's could afford to pay O'Day $15.8M if Chen, Davis, and Wieters all walk. But then you have to ask yourself how likely it is that they would be competitive without those guys, and if they're not going to be competitive, then why the heck would they want to pay $15.8M to a set up guy?

I suppose I can maybe see O'Day getting a 3/27 offer from somebody, maybe even with a QO attached, and maybe he would see that as preferable to 1/16, and maybe he wouldn't care about resetting the salary scale for relievers despite being the union rep, so maybe he would turn a QO down. But that's a lot of maybes.

Meanwhile, sure the O's could afford to pay O'Day $15.8M if Chen, Davis, and Wieters all walk. But then you have to ask yourself how likely it is that they would be competitive without those guys, and if they're not going to be competitive, then why the heck would they want to pay $15.8M to a set up guy?

If he accepts the QO, you could try to sign him to a longer extension and trade Britton, making him your closer and freeing up future money.

If he accepts the QO' date=' you could try to sign him to a longer extension and trade Britton, making him your closer and freeing up future money.[/quote']

I just think that there's no way the O's would give him a QO if they think there's any chance he'd accept it, and I think there's more than a 50% chance that he would.

There's another thing going on here, and I don't recall if this was previously discussed in this resurrected thread: You slap a QO on a guy who's otherwise trying to get a 3/30 kind of deal and you then knock maybe 25% off his market value. Because he gets linked to compensation. The signing team then forfeits a high draft pick, valued at, say, $5M or more. I think teams are careful about doing that, because that seriously makes the player in question and his agent really bitter. You're telling him "sign with us for 1/16, or sit there all winter waiting for someone to offer you $5M, $8M, $10M less than what your market value should have been." A lot of teams will just pass on signing a reliever that you have to give up your first round pick for.

There's another thing going on here, and I don't recall if this was previously discussed in this resurrected thread: You slap a QO on a guy who's otherwise trying to get a 3/30 kind of deal and you then knock maybe 25% off his market value. Because he gets linked to compensation. The signing team then forfeits a high draft pick, valued at, say, $5M or more. I think teams are careful about doing that, because that seriously makes the player in question and his agent really bitter. You're telling him "sign with us for 1/16, or sit there all winter waiting for someone to offer you $5M, $8M, $10M less than what your market value should have been." A lot of teams will just pass on signing a reliever that you have to give up your first round pick for.

So where's the problem here it's a business?

If they can't work out a deal I say go for the pick.

I agree. There is also the factor that if you pay $15.8 to O'Day, you have that much less in your pool to pay other free agents that you may want. If you really want O'Day, offer him a market-rate deal, don't go crazy and offer a QO. The downside factors of offering the QO outweigh the possible benefits, IMO.

So where's the problem here it's a business?

If they can't work out a deal I say go for the pick.

Do you want the Orioles to be the kind of business that says, "Sorry about costing you 1/3rd of your earnings over the next four years, but sucks to be you. Oh, also, tell that agent of yours we're really interested in some of his other clients."

Archived