It's Time to Promote Trey Mancini

sportsfan8703

We need to start looking at Norfolk a little differently. It's a huge park with a 15 ft high wall in the OF. How many line drive HR's is that turning into doubles. Look at C.Walker for example. When evaluating guys from Norfolk, I think you have to consider that for pitchers and hitters.

Do you really think the organization doesn't consider this?

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard to remove yourself from your own position and place yourself into that of a MLB GM. For me I'm sure it took a while for it to sink in that essentially every lightbulb moment I'd ever had about baseball someone else had years before.

1 Parades LF

2 Clevenger C

3 Machado 3B

4 Jones CF

5 Mancini 1B

6 Alvarez RF

7 Schoop 2B

8 Hardy SS

9 Walker DH

Flaherty, Joseph, Lough, Urrutia

Frankly I'd be fine with something like that if we could get good value on several/all pending FAs.

I'm just talking about us as posters on here. I just recently really noticed that so I was just pointing it out to maybe someone else that didn't know. Maybe then not get so down on our hitters when they go there and post .750 OPS's instead of .800+ because they are losing those slugging points for all the HR's that turn into doubles.

Another 3-5 night. The guy is hitting .354. Could he really be worse than the collection of guys playing first base and batting 9th for us? I know he needs to be added to the 40 man roster. That's easy. Parm and Snider could easily go. Or we could juggle the 25 man and cut Berry or Rondon off the 40 man. Mancini should be up.

Another huge night for Mancini. It's getting laughable. 3-4, BB, 2B. The guy has 47 XBH in 93 games. Those our Albert Belle type numbers. You see a team like the Mets call up Conforto. Mancini has better AA numbers and is a year older. We need to start looking at Norfolk a little differently. It's a huge park with a 15 ft high wall in the OF. How many line drive HR's is that turning into doubles. Look at C.Walker for example. When evaluating guys from Norfolk, I think you have to consider that for pitchers and hitters. This team needs a major shakeup and that should be DFA'ing Reimold, Snider and Parm, and replacing them with Mancini, Walker and Alvarez. A little off topic but I'd sell everyone and go with a lineup like this...

1 Parades LF

2 Clevenger C

3 Machado 3B

4 Jones CF

5 Mancini 1B

6 Alvarez RF

7 Schoop 2B

8 Hardy SS

9 Walker DH

Flaherty, Joseph, Lough, Urrutia

Nolan was 3-3 yesterday and had a good game today. I'd start him and Lough for the next month. I know that's not very popular but it's my opinion

Nolan was 3-3 yesterday and had a good game today. I'd start him and Lough for the next month. I know that's not very popular but it's my opinion

I'd be happy with Reimold in LF, Mancini at 1st and Parades at DH for the next 3-4 games. Joseph should be DH'ing vs LHP though.

I think it would take quite bit to put Mancini on the 40-man when you already have Christian Walker ahead of him in Norfolk and on the roster.

Now, if you told me Walker was leaving in a trade somewhere and Mancini replaces him at Norfolk, then I think you're on track. It's actually a perfect timeline: Walker traded at deadline, Mancini promoted in September, Chris Davis leaves 1B wide open for him in 2016.

I do think it is time to get Mancini to Norfolk. Get him and Walker to split time at 1B and an OF position or DH - I don't care.

Across 205 PAs in Frederick and 175 PA in Bowie, Mancini is hitting for higher average, obp, slg and ops. Has a higher xbh/ab, BB/AB and BB/K - though these results are generally similar. The guy moved up a level and is hitting better.

As a comp, the NYY Aaron Judge was promoted to AAA after 250 PAs with 284/350/516/866 in the Eastern League versus Mancini's 354/382/577/959. Mancini has a higher xbh % and a much lower K% - 16.5% v Judge's 28%. Judge is doing much better with the BBs - nearly 10% of PAs resulting in a BB versus closer to 5% for Mancini.

Mancini is ultra-hot right now with only 1 K in his last five games with 2 BBs. I believe it is time to get him to Norfolk.

Nice problem to have, but I would wait until September and bring both Walker and Mancini up when rosters expand. They should be the 2 guys battling for 1B (probably along with Paredes) next year.

Semi-related question... Have we promoted anyone to the big club from AA this year? (Givens maybe?)

I agree, you play the guys, you know can play at this level, since you are still in the hunt.

When you fall out of the hunt, is the time to start playing the youngsters.

I agree, you play the guys, you know can play at this level, since you are still in the hunt.

When you fall out of the hunt, is the time to start playing the youngsters.

Yeah. I hope Buck rides Nolan in the lead off spot and in RF from here on out (or until he quits getting on base or gets hurt).

I generally don't like promoting players directly from AA to the majors. Mancini is no exception. I'm glad he's having a good year at Bowie, but I want to see him hit AAA pitching before throwing him into major league competition.

I generally don't like promoting players directly from AA to the majors. Mancini is no exception. I'm glad he's having a good year at Bowie, but I want to see him hit AAA pitching before throwing him into major league competition.

Likewise. We have time until September.

Likewise. We have time until September.

Well, the only reason this is under discussion is because our team isn't hitting, so folks are desperate for anything that might give us a boost. Chris Parmelee apparently isn't the answer, so folks are hoping Mancini can be, but I am very skeptical that he's ready.

Archived