Duquette: "We're still in the competition for this year."

Frobby

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone interested in seeing what Pedro might still have in the tank now at age 43?

From 2000-2009 (he then retired) it appears that Pedro was never once used out of the pen.

I think it'd be cool to at least try him out........he'd have the comeback that Palmer never had, heh.

He opened by citing run differential as why club should buy despite mediocre record to date, then layered some regression justification on top of that by talking about the roster's proven hitting track records that are being underperformed.

Asked if he had to pick between a hitter or a pitcher if limited to one, he said pitching was most important.

Biggio in Cooperstown this weekend surprised him by knowing about Mancini and giving an endorsement. His son and Trey were teammates at ND for a couple years, Biggio saw him a lot and says he has enough slug for 1B in the majors.

You are right he did say pitching is more important but then immediately started talking about a hitter. He really talked about both.

I'll take anything I can get for Bundy. Tommy John surgery and now shoulder issues. You are more optimistic than I am.

Trust me, I am not. The recent issues with Bundy have me thinking. Why have the Orioles spent so many high draft picks on pitchers over the years when their hit rate with position players had been so much higher? They've hit on Markakis, Wieters and Machado with their high draft picks. Meanwhile, all of their highly drafted pitchers have been busts except for Gausman who is still very much a work in progress. It just doesn't make sense.

Trust me, I am not. The recent issues with Bundy have me thinking. Why have the Orioles spent so many high draft picks on pitchers over the years when their hit rate with position players had been so much higher? They've hit on Markakis, Wieters and Machado with their high draft picks. Meanwhile, all of their highly drafted pitchers have been busts except for Gausman who is still very much a work in progress. It just doesn't make sense.

My gut tells me they should have taken a pitcher this year though. Not a fan of crouching tiger, noodle arm.

But I agree with you. I just think Bundy was such a great talent, you had to pull the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree we are still in it based on last three days. I do fear DD will give up too much, but we'll see what he gets. I would assume a deal would include next year's supplemental draft pick and one of Reyes, Mancini, Cisco plus one of Davies, Wright and Givens. Not eager to deal Bundy or Harvey, but would not be surprised.

I agree we are still in it based on last three days. I do fear DD will give up too much, but we'll see what he gets. I would assume a deal would include next year's supplemental draft pick and one of Reyes, Mancini, Cisco plus one of Davies, Wright and Givens. Not eager to deal Bundy or Harvey, but would not be surprised.

I am sure he will give up too much. That is the nature of deadline deals.

Wouldn't it make more sense for him to say positive things about Bundy if he wanted to move him?

I think he really wanted to say nothing. To say that he was resting and that if healthy, next year he would be part of the club. It seemed that he really wanted to get off that subject. Quickly.

The interview is posted here: http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/07/28/orioles-gm-dan-duquette-on-the-upcoming-mlb-trade-deadline/

The one thing I picked up that isn't mentioned previously in this thread is that Dan singled out Wright, McFarland and Givens as pitchers who are drawing interest from other teams.

I didn't read anything into his comments about Bundy. He was asked if it was true that Bundy had to be on the major league team last year, and he confirmed that and said he didn't expect Bundy to pitch again this season. He said he thought Harvey would throw in a game before the year is over.

In 2013 we had played much better to this point but the competition was much better as well. That year Texas lost a one game playoff to TB just to get into the playoffs. Texas had 91 wins and came up short. The 2013 Orioles peaked early on and were 3 games under .500 from July on. I guess my point is the competition is so much weaker this year and except for one brief stretch we really haven't played consistently. I think Detroit is in big trouble and Tampa can't hit. I don't want to see us trade away huge assets but we have to go for it at this point within reason. I admit after Friday's game I thought we were done.

The interview is posted here: http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/07/28/orioles-gm-dan-duquette-on-the-upcoming-mlb-trade-deadline/

The one thing I picked up that isn't mentioned previously in this thread is that Dan singled out Wright, McFarland and Givens as pitchers who are drawing interest from other teams.

I didn't read anything into his comments about Bundy. He was asked if it was true that Bundy had to be on the major league team last year, and he confirmed that and said he didn't expect Bundy to pitch again this season. He said he thought Harvey would throw in a game before the year is over.

I forgot that part, good pick up. If the Orioles only think Wright is a relief pitcher than certainly it would make sense to move him in the right deal.

Archived