Parra to the Orioles (Done Deal)

TonySoprano

Who Would You Trade For?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would You Trade For?

• Gerardo Parra - 2 month rental
    • Ben Revere
    • Someone Else (Please name them in the comments)
    • Nobody. Not much worth it on the market.

I like Gerardo Parra, but honestly I think it makes more sense for us to be sellers. Is this team as constructed likely to make a deep run in the playoffs? No. I would be trying to move Davis and Chen.

Problem with that is even before the O's had won 5 in a row, DD clearly stated the team wouldn't be sellers. With them getting closer to the 2nd wild card that only pushes him closer to trying to make a deal. I don't care for the 2nd wild card much, too many mediocre teams trading away important future pieces for a chance at one game crapshoot. On the flip side if you're smart about it and admit you're team isn't that good you can trade some of your soon to be valuable free agents to restock, rebuild your farm system.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ben Revere career: .292/.326/.345 - .671 OPS. Career OPS+ of 88.

This year .298/.335/.376 - .711 OPS with an OPS+ of 99. He's an OK OF'er. He's essentially a more consistent David Lough. Yes, he's controllable through 2017. But do you really want a slap hitter who doesn't walk? The only benefit is he doesn't strikeout. Only 220 strikeouts in 2,410 plate appearances.

Typical rentals are worth A level prospects. That's what it used to be anyway. A lot of GM's out there doing over-paying if you ask me.

A high end rental would be worth an A prospect. A level prospects aren't exactly a dime a dozen.

That said, people on here are freaking out over the prospect of losing Davies and I just don't get it. We're talking about picking up a player who we know can help the team (even if it's not a huge help) by sacrificing a player who at his ceiling might help the team a little down the road. It's also very possible that Davies doesn't pan out into a major league type player at all.

Ben Revere career: .292/.326/.345 - .671 OPS. Career OPS+ of 88.

This year .298/.335/.376 - .711 OPS with an OPS+ of 99. He's an OK OF'er. He's essentially a more consistent David Lough. Yes, he's controllable through 2017. But do you really want a slap hitter who doesn't walk? The only benefit is he doesn't strikeout. Only 220 strikeouts in 2,410 plate appearances.

I feel a heck of a lot better about Revere than a rental guy that I likely have to give up similar value for. He is only 27 years old, so I can also see some growth with him. And he can fly. We really could use that speed in our lineup going forward. Bottom line. I don't want us to be so shortsighted that we sell out for this year. Revere could have a place for us the rest of the way this season as well as going forward.

I like Gerardo Parra, but honestly I think it makes more sense for us to be sellers. Is this team as constructed likely to make a deep run in the playoffs? No. I would be trying to move Davis and Chen.

Unfortunately I think it's too late for us to flip the switch. Especially after that impressive sweep of.the Braves.

Problem with that is even before the O's had won 5 in a row' date=' DD clearly stated the team wouldn't be sellers. With them getting closer to the 2nd wild card that only pushes him closer to trying to make a deal. I don't care for the 2nd wild card much, too many mediocre teams trading away important future pieces for a chance at one game crapshoot. On the flip side if you're smart about it and admit you're team isn't that good you can trade some of your soon to be valuable free agents to restock, rebuild your farm system.[/quote']

I know that has been Duquette's stance, but I think it's wrong.

I know that has been Duquette's stance, but I think it's wrong.

Regarding DD's stance, I know that you know and we all know especially since we are all on the OH. Sometimes the obvious will still be written up, especially with trade deadline so close and a lot of people hoping a foolish trade doesn't take place. I agree with you as well; thought the O's should have been sellers to restock the system but it isn't happening. Too many things have to go right to make the playoffs right now and a lot of wrong for the other teams competing for it. It's not like the team is 6-7 games over .500, one game over. I'll be pulling and rooting for the O's but I'm not expecting too much out of the ordinary. Would be nice to play the Braves, Phillies and Marlins all the time but you can't switch your divisions.

A high end rental would be worth an A prospect. A level prospects aren't exactly a dime a dozen.

That said, people on here are freaking out over the prospect of losing Davies and I just don't get it. We're talking about picking up a player who we know can help the team (even if it's not a huge help) by sacrificing a player who at his ceiling might help the team a little down the road. It's also very possible that Davies doesn't pan out into a major league type player at all.

You have to take account for needs for next year. We already need at least on starter for next year. Currently 5-7 on the depth chart consists of Davies, Wright, and Wilson. Yes you have to give up something to get something but Davies is likely the best bet to make it as a starter. Wright could be a shut down reliever but we have several of those possibilities in the minors it seems. With Bundy and Harvey injured, the team has to be a little bit more careful about what it decides is superfluous.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

You have to take account for needs for next year. We already need at least on starter for next year. Currently 5-7 on the depth chart consists of Davies, Wright, and Wilson. Yes you have to give up something to get something but Davies is likely the best bet to make it as a starter. Wright could be a shut down reliever but we have several of those possibilities in the minors it seems. With Bundy and Harvey injured, the team has to be a little bit more careful about what it decides is superfluous.

I understand that we look to be short on pitching next year. I'm just not as high on Davies as many here are. I don't see him as a significant piece of the future. Needs or not next year. I see Wright and Wilson as better big picture pieces.

That said, I would agree that I don't love trimming one of the few guys in the farm system that at least have big league potential (even if I don't necessarily see it).

As much as I like Parra as a fit for this current team, I like Zach Davies future way more. Parra should only be added for some spare parts. Maybe Tyler Wilson.

While the O's system is thin, the one thing they have a lot of is advanced pitching prospects who could help out next year in the bullpen or at the back end of the rotation: Wright, Wilson, Davies, Gunkel, Miranda, Givens, Drake.

So I'm less concerned about giving up Davies for Parra than I would be about giving up a comparable hitting prospect.

Mancini, Reyes, wright, Cisco, Wilson, Davies, Givens. You can protect five. Which two are unprotected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davies and Cisco. I don't know where Cisco is going to play in the field ... too much pressure to put on a single-A bat. Davies or Wright or Wilson for starter (I'll try Wilson for 200 please, and Wright for BP power arm). Davies or Givens for BP (I'll take the 97 mph throwing side-armer in only his 2nd pro season pitching thank you very much).

Davies and Cisco. I don't know where Cisco is going to play in the field ... too much pressure to put on a single-A bat. Davies or Wright or Wilson for starter (I'll try Wilson for 200 please, and Wright for BP power arm). Davies or Givens for BP (I'll take the 97 mph throwing side-armer in only his 2nd pro season pitching thank you very much).

Cisco is way more valuable than Wright or Wilson. He has an advanced approach at the plate, his bat will play.

As much as I like Parra as a fit for this current team, I like Zach Davies future way more. Parra should only be added for some spare parts. Maybe Tyler Wilson.

I know that there is an age difference with Davies and Wilson - but I would hardly call Wilson spare parts. Buck is very high on him. Heck, I think he could be in the rotation next year.

Archived