Orioles trade Davies for Parra. Your verdict?

PaulFolk

Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?

• I approve. A small price to pay to fix the O's OF hole with a quality veteran.
    • I disapprove. The O's gave up up a pitching prospect for a rental who won't move the needle.

This poll is closed to new votes

If Chen walks you need at least 2 new SP's, and although people seem to not want to admit it, we need a starting SS

so as I see it we can't get there with our FA budget, we should go into full re-build mode and play with an 80M or less payroll until we develop some young cost controlled talent to fill in the holes in the roster.

The Orioles have Ulbaldo, Tillman, Gonzalez & Gausman for next years rotation. There is zero chance they release Ulbaldo and little chance they can deal his salary. I agree with the rebuild although the the team won't be allowed to save the payroll for use later as evidenced by the saved payroll under the last 5-6 years before the team started to win. So there is no benefit to going cheap.

I like what I've seen from Parra. I don't think he's a must resign and doubt he's the guy I'm willing to overpay.
Meh, maybe two years at $8-9 mil per. I don't think that gets it done.

I feel the same way about bringing back Davis and Chen. The real question is what difference makers will the Orioles be in on.

IMO they need 2 starting corner outfielders, 1B, a solid hitting/fielding 4th OF, And if you let Chen walk a LH SP.

If they allow all of the current group to walk and replace them with more AAAA, Snider/Lough types (able to thrive in limited NL roles but are overmatched in starting AL east roles). Then I'd be disappointed about the team letting Chen, Davis, and Parra walk.

I'm pretty convinced that the Os are going to do just that and I wanted this non playoff caliber team to sell at the deadline. Even if the Orioles make the last wild card they don't have the team to go far IMO.

There are plenty of mid level FA pitching options to replace Chen. Next year, on another team he likely goes back to being a slightly above average pitcher.

Do you recommend trading our most valuable trade pieces in Machado, Jones, and Britton? Because we aren't going to have nearly enough young cost controlled guys here unless we start making some 1 for 2, 1 for 3, and 1 for 4 types of deals. Unfortunately, we have very few top prospects that will be ready within the next 2 years.

It's not a completely horrible idea, but they seem content to be what they consider competitive while the farm is in a shambles and the same approach will likely keep it there. I'd like to build around Machado and Jones and sell everyone else including Gausman. We can't ditch Jimenez, we're likely stuck with that pig, so be it. Everyone else can go and we get what we can. Hopefully, Bundy can put together some semblance of a season next year and Harvey comes back healthy.

The Orioles have Ulbaldo, Tillman, Gonzalez & Gausman for next years rotation. There is zero chance they release Ulbaldo and little chance they can deal his salary. I agree with the rebuild although the the team won't be allowed to save the payroll for use later as evidenced by the saved payroll under the last 5-6 years before the team started to win. So there is no benefit to going cheap.

There is no savings account.

There never was.

And there were never bundles of money that were lying around either.

Add that to the rumors that the Angelos family lost big in the 2008 crash and the lack of MASN profitability and with the recent city difficulties, I expect that we will have an 80 to 120 million dollar payroll for the foreseeable future. So when you speculate on team building this off-season, keep those ideas in mind.

No verdict yet. Jury still out on both players involved.

The question was your verdict. Not waiting to judge after the fact. Obviously if the Orioles do not make the postseason, the verdict is that it was an unnecessary waste of a possible MiLB asset. That said, I have enjoyed seeing Parra try to help the Os get to the postseason. We are a few pieces short of a team that could perform at that level.

Do you recommend trading our most valuable trade pieces in Machado, Jones, and Britton? Because we aren't going to have nearly enough young cost controlled guys here unless we start making some 1 for 2, 1 for 3, and 1 for 4 types of deals. Unfortunately, we have very few top prospects that will be ready within the next 2 years.

You still have to field a team. I would extend Manny & Schoop, moving Manny to SS. I would probably keep Jones, but look to trade Britton, Tillman, and Gonzo. Tillman & Gonzo don't give you much more than you would get with a ML minimum type like Tyler Wilson, Mike Wright etc. Trade them for AA pitchers that just need to take the next step and hope they do.

We're stuck with Ubaldo (who is serviceable) and Hardy (who is not) for the next two years. Need to find a young SS or 3B depending on whether Manny is capable of moving back to SS.

Need to find some speedy, plus defense, decent OBP guys.

There is no savings account.

There never was.

And there were never bundles of money that were lying around either.

Add that to the rumors that the Angelos family lost big in the 2008 crash and the lack of MASN profitability and with the recent city difficulties, I expect that we will have an 80 to 120 million dollar payroll for the foreseeable future. So when you speculate on team building this off-season, keep those ideas in mind.

They cut staff at the law firm.

You still have to field a team. I would extend Manny & Schoop, moving Manny to SS. I would probably keep Jones, but look to trade Britton, Tillman, and Gonzo. Tillman & Gonzo don't give you much more than you would get with a ML minimum type like Tyler Wilson, Mike Wright etc. Trade them for AA pitchers that just need to take the next step and hope they do.

We're stuck with Ubaldo (who is serviceable) and Hardy (who is not) for the next two years. Need to find a young SS or 3B depending on whether Manny is capable of moving back to SS.

Need to find some speedy, plus defense, decent OBP guys.

What if Manny and Schoop don't want to extend?

Then you have to trade them both in your scenario.

You can't waste that value going into the Nationals-Tampa Bay- Astros model of being the worst team for half a decade.

What if Manny and Schoop don't want to extend?

Then you have to trade them both in your scenario.

You can't waste that value going into the Nationals-Tampa Bay- Astros model of being the worst team for half a decade.

For a player as talented as Manny and possibly Schoop, you have to truthfully determine if you are ever going to be able to sign them long term

If not you have to maximize your return on a trade which is probably around 2 years from free agency.

the only reason not to trade them is if you felt in those last two years you had assembled enough talent to be a true WS contender and you went all in.

The O's should have been all in this year, or they should have traded their pending FA's

Holding players till free agency and getting nothing but comp picks is the fast track to armageddon

For a player as talented as Manny and possibly Schoop, you have to truthfully determine if you are ever going to be able to sign them long term

If not you have to maximize your return on a trade which is probably around 2 years from free agency.

the only reason not to trade them is if you felt in those last two years you had assembled enough talent to be a true WS contender and you went all in.

The O's should have been all in this year, or they should have traded their pending FA's

Holding players till free agency and getting nothing but comp picks is the fast track to armageddon

No no. Your method means the team will be the worst for at least four years. Manny will be gone by then and Schoop going because we did not keep him down for 17 days. Some folks prefer the draft picks than the iffy prospects you get back for a pending FA. With no pick attached and Wieters hurt for half the year, you would have gotten a poor return on just Davis and Chen. The analytics did not say great things about either.

This is just like when you wanted Jones traded for Jurrjens and Delgado.

Edited by weams