Stan "The Fan" Charles: Failing To Re-Sign Chris Davis Could Set Orioles Back For Years

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[okay, fixed]

You cited 2010-2014...

In 2010 Baltimore selected Machado 3rd overall.

In 2011 Baltimore selected Bundy 4th overall.

In 2012 Baltimore selected Gausman 4th overall.

So let me rephrase...

And I'll clarify again, that the aggregate difference is just that first pick, since we'll loosely go ahead and say BAL 1st = HOU/CHN 2nd, etc.

Those first round picks in 2013/2014/2015 for Houston and Chicago were:

HOU - Appel in 2013; Aiken (unsigned) in 2014; Bregman/Tucker in 2015

CHN - Bryant in 2013; Schwarber in 2014; Ian Happ in 2015

Those six guys are what separates the three systems? Bryant (and soon Schwarber) are not prospects anymore. The Cubs system still beats out Baltimore's by a fair margin.

Na. Under the new rules the money that you get to use for pool is just as important as where you pick. I'm not quite there.

Na. Under the new rules the money that you get to use for pool is just as important as where you pick. I'm not quite there.

Again, we are back to it being (essentially) those first picks. Each pick after the very first pick (BAL 1st vs HOU 2nd) favors Baltimore. So it is as simple as those listed players (Appel, Bregman, Tucker, Happ -- the remaining prospects) and the saved money from those picks spent elsewhere (you could include someone like Cease or Steele, Daz Cameron, and one of the Cubs overslots from this year).

I don't think those names come close to accounting for the differences in the systems.

Every free agent is overpriced and not worth the asking price if you compare production to cost. This includes Matt, Chris, O'Day and Chen. But, the unfortunate fact is that DD has not built up the minor leagues to the point where we have replacements. So, we have a choice. Overpay or suck. I've enjoyed the winning over the last few years but it has come with a cost. The minor leagues have been depleted. In today's market, almost all free agents are over priced. So, what choice do we have? We need to overpay for one or two free agents. Who is that? I have no idea, we need to trust in our management. But, if we continue to try to pay everyone what they are worth, we won't sign anyone and run the risk of falling back into irrelevance. So, if I'm DD, I look at the free agents and pick the top two who I think can help us the most, and maybe come close to what we have to pay them. If we stand pat, lose our guys, get outbid for free agents, we run the risk of losing Manny and Jones. Things can get ugly fast.

I plan to enjoy the rest of this season without burying my head in the sand.

Starting this thread now convinces a lot of people your head is buried elsewhere. weams is right, it's the best time of year to be a baseball fan. Enjoy it, there's plenty of time during the offseason to debate retooling the Orioles.

Starting this thread now convinces a lot of people your head is buried elsewhere. weams is right, it's the best time of year to be a baseball fan. Enjoy it, there's plenty of time during the offseason to debate retooling the Orioles.

It's a ridiculous thing to do and only serves the I told you so purpose if and when the Orioles fail. It actually make me angry, no matter how flawed we may think our team is.

I am enjoying late season baseball. Not telling folks how smart I am or have been. I know the smart money is not on the Orioles. This is where Orioles fans hang out.

It's a ridiculous thing to do and only serves the I told you so purpose if and when the Orioles fail. It actually make me angry, no matter how flawed we may think our team is.

I am enjoying late season baseball. Not telling folks how smart I am or have been. I know the smart money is not on the Orioles. This is where Orioles fans hang out.

Count the threads about this off season. The entire board is filled with it. Didn't mean to offend anyone by giving my opinion, thought that's what this board was all about.

Count the threads about this off season. The entire board is filled with it. Didn't mean to offend anyone by giving my opinion, thought that's what this board was all about.

My opinion was that it was a poor thread. No facts are necessary. We are even.

Archived