Autograph session a huge bust

ADZ23

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My wife puts ketchup on her hotdog. The first time I saw her do it, I told her I don't understand why you do that. She told me, What's it matter to you how I like my hotdog?

Yours too?

When I was dating my wife to be she put ketchup on a hot dog. I told her that was just wrong. Mustard goes on a hot dog and ketchup is for french fries. She acted like she had never heard that before. I popped my Sudden Impact tape in the VCR and found the place in the movie where Clint tells the guy eating a hot dog with ketchup on it that, "nobody, I mean nobody puts ketchup on a hot dog."

All these years later and she still smiles while she puts ketchup on her hot dog. And I still think its wrong.

Yours too?

When I was dating my wife to be she put ketchup on a hot dog. I told her that was just wrong. Mustard goes on a hot dog and ketchup is for french fries. She acted like she had never heard that before. I popped my Sudden Impact tape in the VCR and found the place in the movie where Clint tells the guy eating a hot dog with ketchup on it that, "nobody, I mean nobody puts ketchup on a hot dog."

All these years later and she still smiles while she puts ketchup on her hot dog. And I still think its wrong.

Yours too?

Ketchup doesn't go on fries.

Ketchup goes on the kid's menu.

I've had two chances to do the autograph thing this season and passed on both of them. I won the meet JJ Hardy contest and let my GF go instead. Then today for the season ticket holder thing I let my GF take her friend. It's just not for me. I can't get anybody's autograph that is younger than me. It's just weird. If I happened to be at a game when it was the alumni series I might consider it.

I certainly don't want to hijack a thread with something off-topic...BUT...

I can't talk for everyone, naturally. I can only talk for myself. But I like getting autographs.

Luke Scott telling my what his favorite hitters park is and why. Adam Eaton telling me what his favorite park to pitch in is and why. Adam Jones thanking me for showing up to get his autograph, and then years later telling me he remembers signing for me before. Kam Mickolio talking to me about how the drying agent effects his pitching. Jim Palmer looking flat out surprised when I put a 20-year-old poster in front of him to sign.

I never get to meet these guys, let alone talk to them. Autograph sessions are my chance to get in line and talk to like minded individuals about baseball, and specifically the O's, and then talk to a player, and then have a souvenir as a reminder.

And, occasionally, get to be a little excited because I get to meet and talk to a guy like Jim Palmer, Brooks Robinson or Adam Jones, and they're genuinely nice and polite to me, and I get to like them for that.

This :agree:

I'm not in the slightest bit bothered about autographs, but I do occasionally enjoy meeting sportsmen (same with musicians/bands), even if it's just to shake their hand and say 'great play' or whatever.

I guess the route to one is also the route to the other, which is possibly why some adults still go in for the autograph thing.

As for Ketchup - I eat it on most things, and don't know the correct etiquette for hot-dogs, but as for fries - It's a staple extra on 'frites' in Belgium and Holland, and thats good enough for me :)

I have a pretty good autograph collection, but most of my recent acquisitions have been purchased. My son has had more baseballs tossed to him, and items signed then i ever did and I am fine with that. Us at our age are not going to quit this game. its about attracting the younger crowd, and making their experiences memorable. With that said, I'd love to meet Crush or Buck and get a picture with one of them.

I feel that way about adults wearing uniform jerseys. It looks sad and ridiculous. A 40'year old man wearing a Machado or Flacco jersey. But so many people seems to do it. Still looks pathetic to me especially if you are older than the players.

To each is own, but I'd probably guess you are in the extreme minority here.

The worst autograph hounds I saw were at Brooks' statue dedication, the one outside of Pickles.

I brought my copy of "Pennant Fever" hoping to snag that one. What I saw changed my view of this. After the event Brooks, looking particularly frail that day was mobbed by the crowd. His handlers tried to make room for him to get to the car, but the throngs of GROWN ASS ADULTS were hounding this man for autos.

I will never forget one in particular. A woman who was every bit of 55, in the most simpering near sob of a whine pleading another adult for a signature.

After that day I kinda swore off autographs. Fanfest maybe, but even then. Get one thing and move on.

The best(?) part of that woman's quest: she was trying to get a print of "Thanks Brooks!" signed, but she had neglected to take it out of the frame first. She was just holding the entire picture in front of Brooks' face while she whined. If he did sign it she would have had a signed frame - not a signed painting. A fact I don't believe occurred to her.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

I feel that way about adults wearing uniform jerseys. It looks sad and ridiculous. A 40'year old man wearing a Machado or Flacco jersey. But so many people seems to do it. Still looks pathetic to me especially if you are older than the players.

I actually agree with you. I don't think I'd go so far as "sad and ridiculous", but I do just think it's a little weird to wear another man's jersey. Wearing your jersey is something your girlfriend did in high school. But obviously we're in the minority.

Not a big autograph guy myself, but I certainly don't begrudge those who are. A friend of mine at work went to the session and said that it was quite poorly run and that many people were upset.

Archived