Autograph session a huge bust

ADZ23

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My personal opinion is autographs should be reserved for kids. I'd like yo have more information from the OP as I saw plenty of pictures of players giving autographs to kids.

I stopped seeking autographs at/around age 12, and I think it's strange to see adults clamoring after them. That said, given the staggering range of truly bizarre stuff that adults like/do, I'm always glad to hear that someone's chosen to invest time/interest in something harmless.

As a kid I never had the chance to get autographs, as I didn't live in Mayland and when I came to games as a kid my grandparents bought upper reserve seats. I remember going to a game myself at around age 27, having good seats near the field, and Brady Anderson came along to sign before the game. I tried so hard to get him to sign a ball I had, but he deftly handled every youngster around me, but clearly avoided the tall guy standing among the kids. At first, the kid in me who never had that chance before was pretty disappointed. Ten minutes later, I thought, "Yeah, I get it. Kids are fans. I probably looked like some desperate memorabilia dealer trying to get something I could re-sell." So that was the end of my active autograph seeking.

I stopped worrying about autographs at 15. My father and I do go to a game around Fathers Day every year and this year I was fortunate to get field passes thru a charity.

I was truly impressed with Buck. He came directly over to talk to my dad. Was very interested in him. I was taken aback. I really hope Buck stays until he is done managing. The guy is awesome.

4768456770e098217bece0e60ba54819.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like having them as display pieces. But I don't mind buying them through whatever channels I can rather than hounding the players. I did get Manny's during the fan appreciation weekend back in 2012 (when they have fans go out with each player for the national anthem) so that was a cool experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have never understood the fascination with autographs.

I certainly don't want to hijack a thread with something off-topic...BUT...

I can't talk for everyone, naturally. I can only talk for myself. But I like getting autographs.

Luke Scott telling my what his favorite hitters park is and why. Adam Eaton telling me what his favorite park to pitch in is and why. Adam Jones thanking me for showing up to get his autograph, and then years later telling me he remembers signing for me before. Kam Mickolio talking to me about how the drying agent effects his pitching. Jim Palmer looking flat out surprised when I put a 20-year-old poster in front of him to sign.

I never get to meet these guys, let alone talk to them. Autograph sessions are my chance to get in line and talk to like minded individuals about baseball, and specifically the O's, and then talk to a player, and then have a souvenir as a reminder.

And, occasionally, get to be a little excited because I get to meet and talk to a guy like Jim Palmer, Brooks Robinson or Adam Jones, and they're genuinely nice and polite to me, and I get to like them for that.

I certainly don't want to hijack a thread with something off-topic...BUT...

I can't talk for everyone, naturally. I can only talk for myself. But I like getting autographs.

Luke Scott telling my what his favorite hitters park is and why. Adam Eaton telling me what his favorite park to pitch in is and why. Adam Jones thanking me for showing up to get his autograph, and then years later telling me he remembers signing for me before. Kam Mickolio talking to me about how the drying agent effects his pitching. Jim Palmer looking flat out surprised when I put a 20-year-old poster in front of him to sign.

I never get to meet these guys, let alone talk to them. Autograph sessions are my chance to get in line and talk to like minded individuals about baseball, and specifically the O's, and then talk to a player, and then have a souvenir as a reminder.

And, occasionally, get to be a little excited because I get to meet and talk to a guy like Jim Palmer, Brooks Robinson or Adam Jones, and they're genuinely nice and polite to me, and I get to like them for that.

Certainly nothing wrong with different views. Glad you enjoy it.

Archived