Has Buck lost control of the clubhouse (and his senses)?

webbrick2010

Some in the clubhouse call Manny baby Arod? Where did you see or hear this? Not trying to call you out but I can definitely see why they would do this. The way he acts sometimes drives me insane.

Is there any chance Manny is more of a cancer then a good teammate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure about whether is he is a cancer or not. Ed and Steve on 105.7 were interviewing a reporter a few weeks back and he mentioned that some Oriole players call him Baby Arod. I thought it was funny.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure about whether is he is a cancer or not. Ed and Steve on 105.7 were interviewing a reporter a few weeks back and he mentioned that some Oriole players call him Baby Arod. I thought it was funny.

Oh ok. I can see his attitude being an issue. I love Manny and think he's a hell of a ball player. Would love to see the guy be an Oriole for years but I can see from the past two years where his attitude can get in the way with others. He just gives me the vibe he thinks he walks on water. Maybe not! But I'm only going off how I look at his actions on TV.

I believe Buck is doing all that a manager can do and still very much retains respect, loyalty, positive relationships with the players under him. So, no, in response to the opening post, I do not think at all that he has "lost control of the clubhouse." However, I am a bit concerned about Manny's response after the game to the press about his error. I understand he was very frustrated and maybe felt stressed about being put in that particular situation. Still, I don't think I have ever seen so many "deleted" expletives in an Oriole interview in a long time. It does not serve Manny well or the team well.

Is there a link to this interview?

Some in the clubhouse call Manny baby Arod? Where did you see or hear this? Not trying to call you out but I can definitely see why they would do this. The way he acts sometimes drives me insane.

Is there any chance Manny is more of a cancer then a good teammate?

My cousin worked on the groundscrew in bowie when Machado was learning 3rd base. According to said cousin, Manny was in love with Manny, and he was really pissed off that he had to learn 3rd

My cousin worked on the groundscrew in bowie when Machado was learning 3rd base. According to said cousin, Manny was in love with Manny, and he was really pissed off that he had to learn 3rd

I don't know you and I don't know your cousin but if I were a gambling man I would certainly put money on what you just told me 100% being true. I can see it all over him.

I don't know you and I don't know your cousin but if I were a gambling man I would certainly put money on what you just told me 100% being true. I can see it all over him.

It is. He drove around in this giant Porsche SUV and thought he was all that and a bag of chips

Is there a link to this interview?

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2015/08/manny-machado-on-his-error-in-the-12th-and-the-os-getting-swept-by-the-twins.html

I have no problem with anything Manny said. He missed the ball. I would expect him to be mad. He came back last night and made a couple of terrific plays defensively before the wheels came off. Schoop and Manny obviously have a good chemistry together and I don't see any sign that the players don't get along with him. Everything Manny has said in the press about other players has been positive, even when he has had every opportunity to question the organization's commitment to JJ at SS.

Last night:

Clevenger runs into an out at third base, out by 10 feet (perhaps cost a run)

Schoop throws one into the stands, directly cost a run

Urrita throws to the wrong base misses cutoff, runner takes second on throw, scores on a 2 out single, directly costs run.

These mental mistakes and lack of fundamentals have been prevalent all season. I have no idea what the realationship between coaches and players is, but the message of playing smart sound baseball has not gotten thru.

What are you basing this on? I really haven't seen much evidence that the Orioles a sloppy fundamental team overall. They're still one of the best defensive teams in the AL.

Actually, just see Frobby's post #67 in this thread. It echoes my sentiments.

I just have to disagree with any suggestion that the Orioles make more mental errors than most teams or that Buck doesn't do enough to correct them. To me, they are one of the most fundamentally sound teams in the league. That doesn't mean that they never make a mistake, or that last week was a particularly good week for them on that score. But I just disagree completely that Buck doesn't keep on top of this stuff.

What are you basing this on? I really haven't seen much evidence that the Orioles a sloppy fundamental team overall. They're still one of the best defensive teams in the AL.

Actually, just see Frobby's post #67 in this thread. It echoes my sentiments.

Well I wish I had the time to quantify my feeling but I don't,

but I know that DeAza made enough bone headed plays to be run out of town, even though he is clearly better than our current LF'er

David Lough was picked off first base at least twice that I recall

There have been at least two times that a base runner thought that there were two outs and were doubled off. Schoop almost scored from first on a flyout before he realized there was only one out

A bunch of players have been doubled off on line drives to an infielder

Our outfielders have missed cutoffs and thrown to the wrong base more often than any year I can recall since Buck arrived.

No I can't quantify it. Maybe it just resonates more because they are losing the close games.

Well I wish I had the time to quantify my feeling but I don't,

but I know that DeAza made enough bone headed plays to be run out of town, even though he is clearly better than our current LF'er

David Lough was picked off first base at least twice that I recall

There have been at least two times that a base runner thought that there were two outs and were doubled off. Schoop almost scored from first on a flyout before he realized there was only one out

A bunch of players have been doubled off on line drives to an infielder

Our outfielders have missed cutoffs and thrown to the wrong base more often than any year I can recall since Buck arrived.

No I can't quantify it. Maybe it just resonates more because they are losing the close games.

Every team makes boneheaded plays. We made some last season also.

Right now we are 1st in team defense and that is after a slow start this year defensively.

This team is solid fundamentally speaking. They do not run the bases all that well but this team was never built that way.

I would suggest to you that some of the mistakes are sticking out a little more this year because things are a little more hairy than last.

Every team makes boneheaded plays. We made some last season also.

Right now we are 1st in team defense and that is after a slow start this year defensively.

This team is solid fundamentally speaking. They do not run the bases all that well but this team was never built that way.

I would suggest to you that some of the mistakes are sticking out a little more this year because things are a little more hairy than last.

i personally think they looked sloppy on the last homestand. Throwing to the wrong base,throwing off the wrong foot,bad routes. Even the game they blew out Oakland,they could have called three errors on the Orioles. But they seem to never call errors.. That game was so sloppy especially for Oakland and zero errors on either team.

I almost never go to the game threads because they make my head vaporize. I would hope anyone with even a passing familiarity with this board knows that the game thread is essentially the only unmoderated place here, and it's full of a lot of straight-from-the-vicious-lizard-part-of-brain-to-the-ether stuff.

That's my kind of joint! :D

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2015/08/manny-machado-on-his-error-in-the-12th-and-the-os-getting-swept-by-the-twins.html

I have no problem with anything Manny said. He missed the ball. I would expect him to be mad. He came back last night and made a couple of terrific plays defensively before the wheels came off. Schoop and Manny obviously have a good chemistry together and I don't see any sign that the players don't get along with him. Everything Manny has said in the press about other players has been positive, even when he has had every opportunity to question the organization's commitment to JJ at SS.

I don't necessarily have a "problem" with it. He can say whatever he chooses to. But there were 7 expletives in just this article. I can't recall another article in which this was the case with any Orioles player and, like it or not, it does communicate aspects of your personality to the fan base. It will not serve Manny well, imho to do this regularly with reporters. Adam Jones cares just as much but I cannot recall an instance in which he was quoted using multiple profanities to a reporter after a game. Players will earn different responses over their career (good and bad) from fans based largely on how they present themselves in public and in the media. You wonder if Buck or management talked with Manny about this outburst, or not.

I don't necessarily have a "problem" with it. He can say whatever he chooses to. But there were 7 expletives in just this article. I can't recall another article in which this was the case with any Orioles player and, like it or not, it does communicate aspects of your personality to the fan base. It will not serve Manny well, imho to do this regularly with reporters. Adam Jones cares just as much but I cannot recall an instance in which he was quoted using multiple profanities to a reporter after a game. Players will earn different responses over their career (good and bad) from fans based largely on how they present themselves in public and in the media. You wonder if Buck or management talked with Manny about this outburst, or not.

Woah, that was an outburst? These guys aren't politicians. I see nothing wrong with what Machado said.

Archived