Alvarez coming up per Roch.

bpilktree

Alvarez was missing pitches horribly last night. The on AB on Hamels, he was up 2-0, and then missed 3 breaking pitches by 2 feet each. I hope I'm wrong, but Mr. Alvarez is going to be in Norfolk to start next year.

I love your posts man, but you really need to take some perspective and get a bigger sample size. You might be right, but let's give it more than 1 game in the bigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alvarez was missing pitches horribly last night. The on AB on Hamels, he was up 2-0, and then missed 3 breaking pitches by 2 feet each. I hope I'm wrong, but Mr. Alvarez is going to be in Norfolk to start next year.
Alvarez got a double, pencil him in for 2016 and the HOF.
Multihit game and a walk. The walk is the most encouraging.

Looked good after he got away from Cole Hamels.

Only a very small percentage of players show substantial growth at that age. One of my favorite fun facts is that among players eligible to play in the majors prior to age 25, Sam Rice is the only HOF position player who didn't have a regular MLB job by 25. I'm reasonably sure that's still the case.

I just realized that Chase Utley's first MLB season of 100+ games came at age 27. I had thought that he was a relatively safe bet for eventual enshrinement. But you know he's only played a little over 1500 games in his career and has 6600 PAs or so? He had a very, very good peak (five consecutive years of 7+ fWAR), but I'm thinking he's a longshot. Zero Gold Gloves even though he was a plus-plus second baseman. He's Bobby Grich or Lou Whitaker with a shorter career. All of them far above the career value of many HOF second basemen, but probably below the new standards. Nowadays you have to be well above the average HOFer to get in unless you have some really good stories. Utley would probably be a shoo-in if he'd (or I guess still could) tack(ed) on 5-6 random, nondescript seasons to build up some counting stats.

I just realized that Chase Utley's first MLB season of 100+ games came at age 27. I had thought that he was a relatively safe bet for eventual enshrinement. But you know he's only played a little over 1500 games in his career and has 6600 PAs or so? He had a very, very good peak (five consecutive years of 7+ fWAR), but I'm thinking he's a longshot. Zero Gold Gloves even though he was a plus-plus second baseman. He's Bobby Grich or Lou Whitaker with a shorter career. All of them far above the career value of many HOF second basemen, but probably below the new standards. Nowadays you have to be well above the average HOFer to get in unless you have some really good stories. Utley would probably be a shoo-in if he'd (or I guess still could) tack(ed) on 5-6 random, nondescript seasons to build up some counting stats.

He was 26, but I concur - the fact that he started late pretty much killed his chances at the HOF. Yeah, his lifetime stats are very similar to Grich's.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dariel Alvarez won't accompany the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> to Toronto. Visa issue. Could be sent to Frederick tonight cause their season almost over.</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">September 2, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Seriously?

They can't get this stuff straightened out?

How long has he been in the organization?

MLB doesn't have folks to help facilitate this?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dariel Alvarez won't accompany the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> to Toronto. Visa issue. Could be sent to Frederick tonight cause their season almost over.</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">September 2, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Seriously?

They can't get this stuff straightened out?

How long has he been in the organization?

MLB doesn't have folks to help facilitate this?

He was a Cuban defector. Cuba and Canada have had relations throughout. I am sure Canada is no hurry to help out the Orioles.

People with a DUI conviction aren't allowed in Canada. Not sure if it is related but my buddy told me that. I thought he was BS-ING until I looked it up. Crazy. I doubt that is the issue but Canada is weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not. It actually had to do with his immigration status and being allowed to reenter the US without incident.

Archived