Should we trade Britton in the offseason?

sportsfan8703

I would hold onto Britton for next season as he's not a question mark, and if we want to rebuild quickly, we need to keep our returning stable guys for next year. After that, though, indeed look to trade him. If he repeats his performance again he will start getting prohibitively expensive.

Your last sentence is one of the reasons to trade him this offseason. He will have excess value against his salary.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your last sentence is one of the reasons to trade him this offseason. He will have excess value against his salary.

I don't really see as there's another option, but the team hasn't been good at realizing value on assets when they are at their highest possible rate of return.

I would hold onto Britton for next season as he's not a question mark, and if we want to rebuild quickly, we need to keep our returning stable guys for next year. After that, though, indeed look to trade him. If he repeats his performance again he will start getting prohibitively expensive.

This sounds very sensible as I expect his value off season will be no more than as a deadline deal. Of course if you think he is going to suffer health issues, then you should indeed deal him.

Trading Britton obviously depends on how the offseason goes. If Bundy and Harvey are healthy that would lessen the need to trade Britton.

I dont think it lessens the need. Neither Bundy nor Harvey should be counted on to stay healthy for an extended period. And if you can add talent by trading Britton, it should be explored regardless of other situations.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd give Britton another shot in the rotation before I'd trade him. Of course he's probably not going to be as good there as he was in the bullpen, but I feel like he's figured some things out about pitching the past two years, and durability was never a major concern. Seeing what I've seen from him the past two years as our closer, I have a difficult time imagining Britton being unusable as a starter with an off-season to prepare for it.

If that's not really an option though, then trading him isn't really a bad long-term move, seeing as how we have a bit of surplus there, and that the team is unusually adept at pulling together solid makeshift bullpens. However, I'm skeptical that would really work out, since it doesn't seem like the recent trade market has been particularly vibrant for closers. What Atlanta got for Kimbrel only looks savvy because everyone in baseball undervalued Maybin, I wasn't otherwise particularly impressed with the rest of the trade. And Cincinnati wasn't even able to move Chapman. Those are the sorts of situations you compare our trading Britton to, so it's hard to be terribly optimistic that we'll get a major return for him unless the trade landscape changes a bit.

So yeah, I'd be for it if we could get a particularly noteworthy return for the guy, but if we start thinking about moving Britton purely to save some money, then this team truly is going to be going nowhere.

You a man of extremes. What's your plan? Sit tight and hope things get better or just whatever Duquette decides to do?

Do you have any ideas on how the team can become better over the next 3-4 years?

Yes I do. Sign two starting pitchers to reasonable contract this off season. There will be plenty of them. Non pick attached. Play Alvarez. Trade Gonzalez. Sign none of our FAs. Offer Three QO. Sign an outfielder for less than 8 million per year. Draft well. Provide opportunities as always. I know, it's not a popular or creative path. The pundits and industry folks will mock it. Trade Britton next off season. Trade Manny off season 2017. Give Wilson a shot in the rotation next year. Give Miranda a shot at the rotation. Take Wright North and use him in the bullpen. In the Hunter/O'Day Role with Givens.

1. What is a reasonable contract for the FA pitchers you wish to sign?

2. An outfielder for under 8M to play LF?

3. I assume Alvarez in RF. Who is your DH? Who is your 1B?

I think your ideas are reasonable but, of course, it depends on the two FA pitchers and the OF who is signed.

Why would Wilson or Miranda get a shot in the rotation? You have 2 FA pitchers, Tillman, Jimenez, and Gausman for your starting 5.

Because of possible injury and that you need more than five. We have used Eight this season I think.

1. What is a reasonable contract for the FA pitchers you wish to sign?

2. An outfielder for under 8M to play LF?

3. I assume Alvarez in RF. Who is your DH? Who is your 1B?

I think your ideas are reasonable but, of course, it depends on the two FA pitchers and the OF who is signed.

Why would Wilson or Miranda get a shot in the rotation? You have 2 FA pitchers, Tillman, Jimenez, and Gausman for your starting 5.

DH and 1B are always the last FAs that get signed. There are always a group of them fighting for the last chairs. I'd be fine with that and Mancini and Walker. I would not want to commit more than 40 million total to starting pitching in those two slots. I think there is an abundance and I have confidence on our analytics department to have us pick at least one of the right ones.

I really think Britton could bring us back two starting players in a trade. A big series for us to watch will be the Mets vs. Dodgers 1st rd. These are two big market teams that have the right players for a Britton trade. Of course the Dodgers are a fit because they have ton of talent and a huge payroll. Maybe some of these trades would work

Briton and Ubaldo for Ethier and Puig/Wood/Pederson

Britton for Lee and Urias

Britton for Puig and Wood/Pederson

Britton for Wood and Lee and Van slyke.

This team is going to have to make trades. By trading Britton we could fill a hole in our rotation and in our position players. Hopefully leads are blown in the playoffs by big market teams.

I really think Britton could bring us back two starting players in a trade. A big series for us to watch will be the Mets vs. Dodgers 1st rd. These are two big market teams that have the right players for a Britton trade. Of course the Dodgers are a fit because they have ton of talent and a huge payroll. Maybe some of these trades would work

Briton and Ubaldo for Ethier and Puig/Wood/Pederson

Britton for Lee and Urias

Britton for Puig and Wood/Pederson

Britton for Wood and Lee and Van slyke.

This team is going to have to make trades. By trading Britton we could fill a hole in our rotation and in our position players. Hopefully leads are blown in the playoffs by big market teams.

So you solve two holes, by creating a rather large hole?

Sorry, and with the chances of O'Day being gone, no thank you, whatsoever.

Archived