I Think I Would Let Wieters Go

Jagwar

I've read some posts here on OH that suggest the O's should offer Matt Wieters a qualifying offer in the offseason, and that he just might accept the offer. What will that cost, $15 million or more?

By no means am I a roster or player value expert, but perhaps that money might be better spent elsewhere, and I think Caleb Joseph has shown good potential as a solid ML catcher. Throw the QO money towards filling other holes next year.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've read some posts here on OH that suggest the O's should offer Matt Wieters a qualifying offer in the offseason, and that he just might accept the offer. What will that cost, $15 million or more?

By no means am I a roster or player value expert, but perhaps that money might be better spent elsewhere, and I think Caleb Joseph has shown good potential as a solid ML catcher. Throw the QO money towards filling other holes next year.

This team needs as much an infusion of talent as they can get.

I am not willing to give away a comp pick like they did last year.

I'll take the risk every time.

Boras is going to spin his season as lingering effects from the TJ surgery, which is probably is. Matt is going to be ITBSOSL next spring.

I'd let him go for sure.....he's not worth the QO and he'll take it.

I know this is a dumb question, but for other uninitiated members on this board...what is a QO (Qualifying Offer)? How is it determined?

Thankx

The gist of it is, you can extend any of your pending free agents a QO.

If the player declines the QO and signs with another team, then you get a draft pick in the compensation round.

If the player accepts the QO (which has not yet happened in the 3-year history of the QO), then he automatically returns to the team on a year-deal worth roughly $15 million (the exact amount changes every year).

This team needs as much an infusion of talent as they can get.

I am not willing to give away a comp pick like they did last year.

I'll take the risk every time.

Boras is going to spin his season as lingering effects from the TJ surgery, which is probably is. Matt is going to be ITBSOSL next spring.

Agreed. And twice on Sunday. They should have QOd Nick too. If you have a team whose grand plan can be compromised by a one year deal for someone who is, at worst, a competent major leaguer, then that plan isn't winning anything anyway. And Matt is never going to take the QO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wieters isn't worth the kind of money Boras will demand. The only way the Orioles should resign Wieters is if they get him for a really good deal and start batting him lower in the order where he belongs. Otherwise it's time for the Orioles to move on

Archived