I Think I Would Let Wieters Go

Jagwar

This team needs as much an infusion of talent as they can get.

I am not willing to give away a comp pick like they did last year.

I'll take the risk every time.

Boras is going to spin his season as lingering effects from the TJ surgery, which is probably is. Matt is going to be ITBSOSL next spring.

While I agree with all of this, I'd put the odds of us giving him a QO at about 20%. I mean DD clearly doesn't care about the draft picks. He gave away a 2nd rounder this year.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Wieters looked real bad behind the plate tonight, moving stiffly and kind of slowly. While I wouldn't bet against Boras finding a buyer, it's hard for me to imagine he'll land a big, long-term contract. He's an average hitter at best right now, and there are serious questions about his defense and durability. He might end up signing for a year at maybe $7-$9 million (I pulled those numbers out of the air; I recall we paid Cruz $8 million) to try to prove he's recovered and can catch 120 games or so and hit some -- which is why I'd be worried he might take the QO.

I thought Wieters looked real bad behind the plate tonight, moving stiffly and kind of slowly. While I wouldn't bet against Boras finding a buyer, it's hard for me to imagine he'll land a big, long-term contract. He's an average hitter at best right now, and there are serious questions about his defense and durability. He might end up signing for a year at maybe $7-$9 million (I pulled those numbers out of the air; I recall we paid Cruz $8 million) to try to prove he's recovered and can catch 120 games or so and hit some -- which is why I'd be worried he might take the QO.

I may be wrong here, but he QO has to be offered in a certain time frame, and it likewise has to be accepted in a certain time frame. My guess is that those timeframes won't adequately allow the offeree to suss out his market value... Again, I might be wrong.

I may be wrong here, but he QO has to be offered in a certain time frame, and it likewise has to be accepted in a certain time frame. My guess is that those timeframes won't adequately allow the offeree to suss out his market value... Again, I might be wrong.

That's right, and one reason a QO has never been accepted is that players and/or agents tend to be optimistic, sometimes over-optimistic, about how they'll fare on the open market. I just think Wieters might present a situation where the difficulty of getting a long-term contract is immediately clear.

Let's see. Let's gamble 15M on a player who we don't really need all that much so we can get a comp pick that has a less than 10% chance of being a ML regular? Hey, you can make the case that he won't accept. You (I mean Weams) can make the case that we can trade him (we might have to eat 4-5M) if he does. I would make the case that the risk (even if it's only 5%) is not worth a comp pick.

Me, I'll let Wieters walk with no QO, with no risk, not get a comp pick, and spend that 15-16M on something we really need. You can take the risk, most likely win, and get both. Still, a comp pick is not worth the risk.

I agree with this. If I were him, I would take it in a heartbeat.

I really hope the Orioles aren't that stupid...nothing would shock me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And the ones saying he shouldn't rejoin the team right away when he was healthy.

Needless to say I held an opposing view.

I was in the camp that he should have started in the minors. His OPS and approach at the plate last year pretty much begged for it. But he has been a bright spot in an otherwise dark year.

I agree with this. If I were him, I would take it in a heartbeat.

I really hope the Orioles aren't that stupid...nothing would shock me.

You have to offer him a QO. Worst case scenario, he accepts, you pay him $15-$17m, and he *should* be healthy. Best case scenario, he declines it, we get the pick, free up the payroll. I guess the worst case scenario is he accepts and is an absolute dud...but I'd imagine he'd be a solid contributor next year.

Let's see. Let's gamble 15M on a player who we don't really need all that much so we can get a comp pick that has a less than 10% chance of being a ML regular? Hey, you can make the case that he won't accept. You (I mean Weams) can make the case that we can trade him (we might have to eat 4-5M) if he does. I would make the case that the risk (even if it's only 5%) is not worth a comp pick.

Me, I'll let Wieters walk with no QO, with no risk, not get a comp pick, and spend that 15-16M on something we really need. You can take the risk, most likely win, and get both. Still, a comp pick is not worth the risk.

Cant argue with anything here. Definitely a risk to offer the QO. But unfortunately there will be a contingent that will complain when he signs a deal like Markakis did and we didnt offer a QO. Or that we are cheap because the team wont offer a $15M deal so they can get an extra draft pick.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

You have to offer him a QO. Worst case scenario, he accepts, you pay him $15-$17m, and he *should* be healthy. Best case scenario, he declines it, we get the pick, free up the payroll. I guess the worst case scenario is he accepts and is an absolute dud...but I'd imagine he'd be a solid contributor next year.

Do you consider him a solid contributor this year?

And will you blame DD if MW accepts the QO?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Agree to disagree. No way I think he is worth that next year. No way.

Archived