I Think I Would Let Wieters Go

Jagwar

Matt Wieters doesn't work for Scott Boras, it's the other way around. I agree that some team is likely to sign Wieters for more than he's worth. Perhaps far more, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of other teams are justifiably leery of his injury coupled with the promise that was never fully delivered upon. Maybe his market never gets to the crazy point.

I really worry that the Orioles will do something dumb here.

What you say is true, however I believe that if players' don't take Boras's "advice", he will ask them to find another agent. And, any player that signs with Boras knows that in the long run that an at least average player is likely to do well with contracts.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, I agree. I definitely would offer one and would have offered one to Nick too. I just am not sure the Orioles are on the same page as we are. Markakis seemed like a no-brainer to me and they passed. I don't know if they risk the remote change he accepts.

With Markakis I sensed there was a loyalty issue where they knew they might not re-sign him and didn't want to hurt his market by having the pick attached. I remember it being discussed.

With Markakis I sensed there was a loyalty issue where they knew they might not re-sign him and didn't want to hurt his market by having the pick attached. I remember it being discussed.

And I'm not sure I believe that. They already annoyed Markakis by not offering up a ridiculous Atlanta-sized deal. Did they really concern themselves with the idea that he'd only get 4/40 instead of 4/44 if the pick was attached?

What you say is true, however I believe that if players' don't take Boras's "advice", he will ask them to find another agent. And, any player that signs with Boras knows that in the long run that an at least average player is likely to do well with contracts.

I think that is unlikely, certainly in so direct a way. There are contracts in place with all players and their agents and every agent is subject to certification by the MLBPA. This is not to say that agreements can't be mutually ended.

And I'm not sure I believe that. They already annoyed Markakis by not offering up a ridiculous Atlanta-sized deal. Did they really concern themselves with the idea that he'd only get 4/40 instead of 4/44 if the pick was attached?

No, the idea was that he wouldn't be signed at all with a pick attached. The money and years was questionable, but with a pick being surrendered by Atlanta do they still make the deal? Not sure about that.

Just spitballing here, but....

The O's have a decent relationship with Boras. There are obviously two far more capable O's clients of his that are also set for free agency, as well as Britton in the future.

Not extending a QO to Wieters will make him far more attractive on the FA market, as a team will not have to forfeit a draft pick to sign him. Stating that, would Boras take into consideration as a measure of good faith in future negotiations? I realize that he is only an agent that works for each player, but thinking that he isn't persuasive is foolish.

The O's have a decent relationship with Boras. There are obviously two far more capable O's clients of his that are also set for free agency, as well as Britton in the future.

Not extending a QO to Wieters will make him far more attractive on the FA market, as a team will not have to forfeit a draft pick to sign him. Stating that, would Boras take into consideration as a measure of good faith in future negotiations? I realize that he is only an agent that works for each player, but thinking that he isn't persuasive is foolish.

I don't believe any team/FO has a decent relationship with Boras.

Well, I know that the Chen handling this year ruffled his feathers a bit, but I seem to remember that he and Angelos had a decent relationship.

Wasn't Boras complaining previously about not wanting to talk contract talks about Wieters?

I dont think daddy Angelos is running this team, either. Which means, he has to build a new relationship with the son.

If you don't do your absolute best for every player you represent regardless of some strategic advantage that might accrue downstream then you are putting yourself on very thin ice as an agent. If you are OK with that as a player then it is the player who is the fool.

Exactly the the kind of thing I posed could have happened with Markakis though I know Boras doesn't represent him.

I think most teams have a decent relationship with Boras.

They might, and I have nothing to gauge it on, except for what is said in the media, which we know, isn't always true.

I think now with slotting, its might be better, but before slotting, didnt some Boras picks slip a bit, because teams didnt want to deal with him?

Archived