Would you fire Duquette?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Would you fire Duquette?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok so that's 2 out of how many players in the last two decades. But let's look at keeping our top talent in that same time span.

Mussina- No

Markakis- Extended, then No

Roberts- Extended

Jones-Extended

Cruz- No

Miller-No

So they let 2, out of so many I can't add it up, leave. While we are 50/50. And that's not counting Chen, O'day,and Davis. MW doesn't qualifiy. Davis is a must resign. If DD can't get that done, I'm not going to be the only really mad O's fan.

During last season, NY would have loved to dump ARod, but even they weren't eating that much money. ARod produces this year, and all is forgiven. I don't get why Miller, the 3 month rental, is on the same list with Mussina and Jones. He was my priority amongst him, Cruz, Markakis, but I wouldn't have given him 4 years either.

If DD is here for the longer team (three to five years) and actually makes moves to shore up the farm system (as opposed to the "every move must improve the 25 man roster" mentality with which the organization has been run), I have little issue letting DD continue on. If we are going to max out payroll with LTC to older players, deal prospects to shore up the major league roster, and focus solely on winning at the major league level, I would rather be done with DD right now.

I think the current talent in the organization is well below what another GM would have done with the same talent, but I think DD has put some good baseball people in place in the organization and IMO both the draft and develop guys are better than what we've had in a couple decades.

I think posts blaming made up limitations on DD are off-base. DD has had plenty of talent, resources and $ in his time here to have the organization in better shape than we are. My fear since the day DD was hired was that he would gut the organization before leaving (and his folks leaving with him) and we are two-thirds of the way there.

I don't understand why Schmuck assumes (as have many others) that the Orioles could have signed Cruz by agreeing to a fourth year? How do we know that Seattle wouldn't have paid him more to get him, whether by offering a fifth year or more money per year or a signing bonus?

Same with Miller. The Yankees really wanted him. Generally, when the Yankees really want a free agent, they outbid everyone else. Is there some reason to believe the offer Miller accepted was their best offer?

I don't understand why Schmuck assumes (as have many others) that the Orioles could have signed Cruz by agreeing to a fourth year? How do we know that Seattle wouldn't have paid him more to get him, whether by offering a fifth year or more money per year or a signing bonus?

Same with Miller. The Yankees really wanted him. Generally, when the Yankees really want a free agent, they outbid everyone else. Is there some reason to believe the offer Miller accepted was their best offer?

The offer Miller accepted wasn't even the best offer (monetarily) he received.

As for Cruz I do think that if things were close to equal he would have picked Baltimore over Seattle, and I am not one to say things of that nature lightly. He had turned the Mariners down the year before.

Archived