Cost considered, who would you prefer to sign among Davis, Upton, Heyward, Cespedes or Gordon?

Frobby

Cost considered, who would you prefer among these players?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Cost considered, who would you prefer among these players?

• Chris Davis
    • Justin Upton
    • Jayson Heyward
    • Yoenis Cespedes
    • Alex Gordon
    • None of the above - spend the money elsewhere

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Crush.

There's something to be said about the intangible of keeping the team together as much as possible.

I think trying to keep the team together hurt the 2015 squad. Sure they let Markakis and Cruz walk but they brought back a ton of arbitration players which ate up payroll and hurt roster flexibility.

Heck, I'd even give him a competitive offer that included a player opt-out after 2019 to lock him in along with Jones and give him a chance to bolt if he wants at that point. My hope would be I've built a very good team by that point and can either give Jones's money to him in re-negotiating his deal or hope he's healthy and productive and wants out if the team needs financial flexibility as part of a rebuild/restructure at the MLB level.

This x 100.

We need a LH bat because of this:

All I know is that they better be lefties

1. Machado ®

2. LF

3. Jones ®

4. 1B

5. Schoop ®

6. DH

7. RF

8. Hardy ®

9. Joseph ®

All the guys actually committed next year bat right handed.

So that eliminates Cespedes and Upton as attractive as they may be.

I'm not a fan of Heyward and very much believe he will be comparable to Markakis (at least offensively) for the duration of this next deal.

That means it's between Crush and Gordon. Obviously Gordon has the better defense and Crush the better offense. Both players will get you between 3 and 6 fWAR and both will demand huge paydays. But Davis is actually 2 years younger than Gordon and already a fan of Buck and Adam Jones. If there's any hope for a team discount we might get it there.

I voted Davis.

We need a LH bat because of this:

So that eliminates Cespedes and Upton as attractive as they may be.

I'm not a fan of Heyward and very much believe he will be comparable to Markakis (at least offensively) for the duration of this next deal.

That means it's between Crush and Gordon. Obviously Gordon has the better defense and Crush the better offense. Both players will get you between 3 and 6 fWAR and both will demand huge paydays. But Davis is actually 2 years younger than Gordon and already a fan of Buck and Adam Jones. If there's any hope for a team discount we might get it there.

I voted Davis.

Tell the Blue Jays they need a LH bat.

I think trying to keep the team together hurt the 2015 squad. Sure they let Markakis and Cruz walk but they brought back a ton of arbitration players which ate up payroll and hurt roster flexibility.

Exactly, but it's difficult for an owner to break up a winning team. What do you tell the fans? Hank Peters wanted to cut Palmer, Singleton, and Bumbry after the World Series win in '83. EBW wouldn't let him break up the team. Peters was right.

I'm not a fan of Heyward and very much believe he will be comparable to Markakis (at least offensively) for the duration of this next deal..

I am not wedded to Heyward but he destroys Markakis defensively. No way Markakis comes close to this play...http://m.mlb.com/video/v31405521/atlnym-heyward-makes-spectacular-catch-to-end-game

Archived