Is it ok to give up on Miguel Gonzalez?

weams

I could see giving up on him if we had some depth in starting pitching, or some minor league starters pushing for promotion, or some money to spend on free agents who are established starters or real prospects.

Under the circumstances, probably not a great idea.

I think our starting five headed into 2015 is something like:

Tillman

Gauss cannon

Jimenez

Gonzalez

Bundy/wright/Wilson

So, barring a big signing, we sort of need him. As a #4, you could do far worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I'm ok with penciling him in as the 5th starter next season, and having Tyler Wilson ready to take his place if he can't regain his form. It's tempting to non-tender him, because he certainly hasn't been worth $5 million this season, but if he bounces back then he'll be a bargain.

But I think it would be a big mistake to pencil him in as the 4th starter and having a spring training battle for 5th starter. The O's need to sign someone as good or better than Chen for the rotation. Going into next season with a rotation of Tillman, Jimenez, Gausman, Gonzalez and "internal option" would be a giant white flag; at that point you'd might as well trade Jones and Britton and commit to a full rebuild.

I think our starting five headed into 2015 is something like:

Tillman

Gauss cannon

Jimenez

Gonzalez

Bundy/wright/Wilson

So, barring a big signing, we sort of need him. As a #4, you could do far worse.

Well we've pretty much cornered the market on mid to back of the rotation types next year.

You can't tender Gonzalez a contract that ends up being about 5M without penciling him into the rotation. Otherwise, you quite possibly have a 5M long reliever or be in the position of having to eat salary or trade picks in order to trade him.

Yes. We don't want that again.

• 1 month later...

Roch today.

The Orioles appear to have three choices with Gonzalez. They can put him back in the rotation and hope for a bounce-back season, attempt to trade him or non-tender him in his second year of arbitration eligibility.

Gonzalez's salary jumped this year from $529,000 to $3.275 million. MLBTradeRumors.com projects that his next raise will take him up to $4.9 million. That's a steep price for a long reliever if you were thinking about the bullpen as a fourth choice.

The rotation already has one opening with left-hander Wei-Yin Chen expected to leave via free agency. My guess is that Gonzalez will get another chance, with the Orioles focused on adding a starter for one of the top three slots. However, he may generate interest from other clubs this winter and he's a candidate to be moved in the right deal.

Rich Hill got 6 million. SO maybe not.

The Athletics have agreed to terms with free agent left-hander Rich Hill, reports Robert Murray of Baseball Essential. The deal is pending a physical. Yahoo’s Jeff Passan tweets that it’s a one-year deal with a $6MM guarantee.

Roch today.

I don't think keeping him or letting him walk will make us or break us. At 4.9 I wouldn't waste my money.

The problem with that is if we let him go that leaves us a rotation of

Tillman

Gausman

Ubaldo

I just think you can get someone of Gonzo's talent for cheaper or in the organization already. I'd rather save the 5 mil and use it elsewhere.

It always seems like the Orioles have one starter who gets no respect from a large segment of our posters. Here's a guy with a 3.82 career ERA, 107 ERA+ and a .542 winning percentage, who will cost us the equivalent of what a 0.7 WAR starter would cost us in free agency, and people are wondering whether we should keep him? I'll grant you that (1) he was bad from June 25 on last season (over 14 starts), and (2) his ERA has typically been much lower than his FIP, so maybe he's due for regression from his 3.82 career ERA. Still, for the projected $4.9 mm, there's no question at all that you keep the guy.

It always seems like the Orioles have one starter who gets no respect from a large segment of our posters. Here's a guy with a 3.82 career ERA, 107 ERA+ and a .542 winning percentage, who will cost us the equivalent of what a 0.7 WAR starter would cost us in free agency, and people are wondering whether we should keep him? I'll grant you that (1) he was bad from June 25 on last season (over 14 starts), and (2) his ERA has typically been much lower than his FIP, so maybe he's due for regression from his 3.82 career ERA. Still, for the projected $4.9 mm, there's no question at all that you keep the guy.

Spot on. Our starting pitching depth is thin enough. I anticipate Gonzo to have a nice bounce back season.

Without digging up numbers and WAR I'm going off what I see and my opinion. I feel like with Tillman, Gausman and Ubaldo we have our 3,4,5 guys. All have the potential to pitch as #2's and have the stuff to do so. Will they do that is another question.

The way I see it is we have holes at our #1 and #2 spots. Gonzo doesn't fit there. If you can eat the salary and have him as your LR and spot starter great but if not it could hurt you.

We already have to stash Bundy in the pen since he's without options and going to be on an innings limit. This obviously handcuffs the team a bit.

Gonzo just doesn't make me feel confident when he's on the mound. I'd take any of the three listed and hopefully sign a 1 and 2 to sure up the rotation.

Archived