Is it ok to give up on Miguel Gonzalez?

weams

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd rather have Gonzo at #5 SP for 4.9 M than Rich Hill for 6 M. I'm not ready to trust Tylor Wilson and you won't get another # 5 cheaper than Gonzo.

Then that gives you

Gonzo - 5

Ubaldo- 4

Gausman - 3

Tillman - 2

So you're basically starting the season with the same rotation you finished 81-81 with. I'm thinking you can move Gonzo and get 2 starters to improve. It may cost more but moving Gonzo makes you able to use the towards the other starters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
You can't tender Gonzalez a contract that ends up being about 5M without penciling him into the rotation. Otherwise, you quite possibly have a 5M long reliever or be in the position of having to eat salary or trade picks in order to trade him.

You pretty much nailed it. Very unfortunately.

I guess he just didn't show any signs of improvement. I imagine this has been a long time coming, but the Orioles waited to see how he'd fare in ST before making a decision. Granted the Orioles aren't rich with pitching options, but I think they're at the point when they just have to start letting go of guys like Gonzo who, despite past successes, just aren't getting it done anymore. Sure, you may like the guy, but the team objective here is to win and Gonzales no longer seems like a guy who can contribute to that objective

• 4 weeks later...

The White Sox have recalled right-hander Miguel Gonzalez from Triple-A and optioned righty Erik Johnson in a corresponding move, tweets Scott Gregor of the Daily Herald. Gonzalez will start for the White Sox on Monday in Toronto. Gonzalez joined the Sox as a free agent earlier this month after the Orioles unexpectedly released him. The 31-year-old has made 95 career starts and owns a lifetime 3.82 ERA to go with a 6.47 K/9 and 2.96 BB/9.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/04/minor-mlb-transactions-42416.html

If he handcuffs the Jays Monday, the Orioles evaluators ARE morons and somebody needs to get canned.

One start to decide it all? What if Wright/Wilson (whoever makes the most starts over the course of the season) ends up with better stats than Gonzalez. Are the evaluators still dummies?

I love the guy and want him to succeed, but at the same time it will make the Orioles' evaluators look like morons.

Come on. This was financially driven. At least I hope so. But I really wish they'd be consistent. They could have saved a lot by keeping Miggy and not signing Gallardo.

One start to decide it all? What if Wright/Wilson (whoever makes the most starts over the course of the season) ends up with better stats than Gonzalez. Are the evaluators still dummies?

Their evaluation was that Gonzo's stuff was done. Unless it was just a dump of 5 million. Otherwise what possible reason was he DFAd when this team is in a starting pitching twilight zone. So yes, when someone who was a warrior in the playoff seasons and the evaluators say now he cannot pitch for this pitching challenged team and he is successful against the Jays in less than a month after being released...yeah, if it is that then it is a very bad personnel decision, imho. And it has nothing to do with Wright or Wilson.

Their evaluation was that Gonzo's stuff was done. Unless it was just a dump of 5 million. Otherwise what possible reason was he DFAd when this team is in a starting pitching twilight zone. So yes, when someone who was a warrior in the playoff seasons and the evaluators say now he cannot pitch for this pitching challenged team and he is successful against the Jays in less than a month after being released...yeah, if it is that then it is a very bad personnel decision, imho. And it has nothing to do with Wright or Wilson.

If the Orioles end up with five starters better than Miguel Gonzalez this year, it was still a bad decision to DFA him and save $5 million? I disagree.

If the Orioles end up with five starters better than Miguel Gonzalez this year, it was still a bad decision to DFA him and save $5 million? I disagree.

So why not trade him in the offseason? If you are so convinced that Wright and Wilson are going to be better?

Let's say he has a good start against the Blue Jays and then gets torched in most of his other starts. Would the Orioles still be morons?

Archived