Sign O'Day; Trade Britton

wildcard

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Britton would have considerable value as a healthy, good starting pitcher. Whether or not that version of Britton exists is a huge question mark, and the attempt to find out might destroy the existing good closer version of Britton.

I agree, and I am in favor of keeping him as closer, but all this talk about trading him.

I don't think we get enough value back, to make it worthwhile for my own likes.

Not a ton of LHP SP on the FA market and I dont see them trading for one, and maybe trying Britton in ST is the answer.

O'Day is going to make as much or more than Britton. I don't see how trading Britton and signing O'Day solves the money crunch. You end up back to square one. If we are going to trade Britton, I would say commit to rebuilding and do not sign a veteran reliever for 4 years. Forget about 2016 and bring in guys who can help us in 2017 or 2018.

Britton might bring back a 1B prospect, but we have a 1B prospect. By some accounts, Mancini is now our #1 prospect. Walker also had a great second half at AAA. I don't even know that Singleton is better than Walker (better numbers but PCL vs Norfolk).

If we are rebuilding, I might be more inclined to go for a SS, which to me is the biggest long term need along with pitching. I am not sure if anyone would give us an MLB ready SS for Britton but that is what I would want.

O'Day is going to make as much or more than Britton. I don't see how trading Britton and signing O'Day solves the money crunch. You end up back to square one. If we are going to trade Britton, I would say commit to rebuilding and do not sign a veteran reliever for 4 years. Forget about 2016 and bring in guys who can help us in 2017 or 2018.

Britton might bring back a 1B prospect, but we have a 1B prospect. By some accounts, Mancini is now our #1 prospect. Walker also had a great second half at AAA. I don't even know that Singleton is better than Walker (better numbers but PCL vs Norfolk).

If we are rebuilding, I might be more inclined to go for a SS, which to me is the biggest long term need along with pitching. I am not sure if anyone would give us an MLB ready SS for Britton but that is what I would want.

Over the next three years, Britton will cost much more than O'Day. We probably will not be able to afford him after this season.

Over the next three years, Britton will cost much more than O'Day. We probably will not be able to afford him after this season.

I think you are underestimating how much O'Day will get. I would guess Britton gets something like $5M/$8M/$10M, that comes out to $23M. I would guess O'Day will get 3/$24 with a good chance at 4/$30M. Also, when O'Day begins his inevitable decline, we will be stuck with it, whereas we could nontender or trade Britton at any time. O'Day makes no sense for this team in either a rebuilding scenario or a contending scenario.

Very risky, so he takes the QO, and 15.6 for 1 year.

You just double paid for his services.

Not like he is the one piece to the puzzle for a WS contender.

Keep in mind, that they might already be getting 3-4 picks, so this would be just one more pick and further down the line, so does it really bring you enough back, to justify the risk.

I think the problem with trading Britton is that with FA options out there that only cost money, the value you get back during offseason is likely less than you could get before the trade deadline. I would certainly consider it but I am not convinced you would get back the level of prospect or player in the offseason for him that would make it worth doing.

Then who would you have close?

I would rather try to figure out who is gonna close than who is playing in the OF or at 1B to be honest.

Unless someone bowls you over with an offer though, I think you build the team with Britton at closer and if things go bottom up then you move him for maximum value at the July deadline. I just think that its hard to get max value on a closer in the offseason. Kimbrel is more an exception than the rule IMO.

From MLBTR:

Preliminary interest in Darren O?Day is ?steep,? tweets Heyman, who adds that the Tigers, Cubs, Nationals, Red Sox, Royals and Dodgers are all in at this stage. The 32-year-old O?Day is probably the top relief arm on the market, as he?s coming off a dominant stretch in which he posted a 1.92 ERA in 263 innings over a four-year stretch spanning 2012-15. O?Day landed 33rd on MLBTR?s Top 50 Free Agent list, with Tim Dierkes projecting a three-year deal worth about $22.5MM.

Archived