The Best Way to Have a Chance at Machado Long Term

brianod

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not even close here. In 2007 Ryan Howard put up a 3.1 WAR season hitting 47 HR. In his first year of arbitration he won 10M. That 10M would be a bit more in todays dollars. In 2015 Manny put up a 6.8 WAR hitting 35 HR and winning his second GG. Something tells me his first year of arbitration will be a littler higher than 1.8 M. He might well start at 10-12 M.

wow, you are right. I undervalued his arb amounts by alot.

If he gets 10+ this year, there's no way the O's have the ability to extend him now and buy out 3 years of aribtration plus some of his free agency years.

They are better off letting him go to arbitration this year and take a wait see. Next year they can try and extend him beyond 2019.

Trout got 6/144.5 going into his first year of arbitration at the age of 22 in 2014. What['s Manny worth? Is GG 3B worth more than GG CF?

If he gets 10+ this year, there's no way the O's have the ability to extend him now and buy out 3 years of aribtration plus some of his free agency years.

They are better off letting him go to arbitration this year and take a wait see. Next year they can try and extend him beyond 2019.

Trout got 6/144.5 going into his first year of arbitration at the age of 22 in 2014. What['s Manny worth? Is GG 3B worth more than GG CF?

Trout is the superior player.

Of course that doesn't mean Manny signs a Trout deal.

Trout actually signed his deal prior to his last pre-arb year, although the first of the six years was a full season later, his first arbitration eligible year. This technicality matters because Trout didn't play his third pre-arb year without a big contract like Manny did, so he likely gave up a little bit of money by signing the deal a year early. Manny has already made it to the stage in his career where he will be making $8-10+ million next season whereas Trout had only made (including his final pre-arb contract and his amateur signing bonus) a little over $3 million in his career at the time he signed his long-term deal.

You could get run over by a truck. If someone told you, you could have 300 M if you could avoid being run over by a truck the next two years, would you take that gamble, or settle for 100M

Get real.

I've never been run over by a truck.

Nobody I know has ever been run over by a truck.

MM has blown BOTH his knees out.

Reality.

Get real.

I've never been run over by a truck.

Nobody I know has ever been run over by a truck.

MM has blown BOTH his knees out.

Reality.

Obviously. Duh. But I have come with inches of being run over by a bus. Stuff happens. Manny has a little more chance of catastrophic injury, as you do of being run over by a truck. He has as good a chance to be healthy in two years, as you do. Probably better since I bet he takes better care of himself.

Obviously. Duh. But I have come with inches of being run over by a bus. Stuff happens. Manny has a little more chance of catastrophic injury, as you do of being run over by a truck. He has as good a chance to be healthy in two years, as you do. Probably better since I bet he takes better care of himself.

He's blown both his knees out man.

That's got to be a consideration for him.

Just to make your overly dramatic statement a little clearer...Manny did not "blow out both knees." The knee joints in both knees and the major cruciate ligaments, ACL, MCL, etc. were and are completely intact. Manny had repairs of the MPFL, medial patellar femoral ligaments which attach to the patella and keep it in place.

These are usually congenital weaknesses in young people and do require repair. But the prognosis in these procedures are night and day different from the major knee joint injuries like ACL tears which involve the large weight bearing connections of the knee joint itself. Manny is at no additional risk of future knee joint injuries any more than anyone else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think he's got a pretty good idea how his knees are after last season. Probably less likely to blow out than some one else's. Two more years and then 300 M, maybe more. He's young, I doubt he's that worried about injury short term.

He's a great player that I would seriously consider trading right now. We don't have much depth at all in the minors and between the haul we would receive from a Machado trade and the potential draft picks we'll get next year we'd be in a better place. I'd go for four top prospects.

Signing Manny is going to be a huge investment and for this team I'd be shocked if they'd do it. I think Schoop is going to get even better next year and he'd be the one that I would try to extend long term.

Archived