Wieters is staying with the Orioles for 2016

VeveJones007

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"I wouldn't say it was an easy decision because when you play for six-plus years and get to free agency, it's something where every player dreams of being able to see what's out there. But at the same time, I wasn't able to play the whole year healthy and a lot of things came into it, and I felt glad to be able to come back to Baltimore and in a clubhouse that I love. I love the guys in the clubhouse, the staff and being able to be in a city I love and both my wife and son love being a part of."

"I think we were on the same page the whole time. We sort of just see what would be best for my family and I. I think we were both in agreement that to be able to play a full year healthy and be able to catch as many games as I want to catch is something that I want to go out there and do next year. And to be able to do it in Baltimore felt to me like a perfect fit."

I suppose this is true, but to articulate it is just beyond my comprehension. I know it's a two way street...but, I'll sacrifice myself for the sum of 15.8 million with the intent of leaving Dodge next season. The poor guy.

I think this downgrades us to a 70-75 win team.

Better that than paying $15.8MM on other rentals/mediocre players and being an 80-85 win team.

For example, I would much rather have Wieters on this deal than Parra on a 3/33 deal. The long-term opportunity is much higher for the former.

Last year he played an a two-win pace. Buying two wins on the market costs $14M or so. That's all I'm saying.

No, he played more towards a 1.6 WIN pace. He put up a 0.8 WAR in 75 games. Double that to 150, which is being generous for a catcher, and he's at a 1.6 win pace. Add in he's a 29-year old tall catcher who has accumulated 3.9 WAR over the last three years combined and I'm not sure you can can assume 2 wins. Even if you can, this still comes back to the fact the team had cheap talent that could match or beat Wieters. This team can not afford to pay premium for players where they had cheaper options under contract already.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Woulda bet house Wieters would have rejected qualifying offer. That's why speculation is speculation this time of yr <a href="https://t.co/HXHaUMITbc">https://t.co/HXHaUMITbc</a></p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">November 13, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sometimes the darts all hit the bullseye. Or bounce off and stick in the arm of the guy you're playing.

Sometimes you wait for everyone else to throw their darts and right before the bar closes you check to see if there is any room left on any of boards, then put your darts there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wieters could well be worth $15M in free agent money. Yes, they could have gotten similar production for less. If given the choice I'd rather he'd turned down the QO. But I still offer it every time, because you're going to get a draft pick many more times than not. This isn't a catastrophe, it's not optimal either. Roll with it and hope for the best.

I'm with you 100%. Let's hope Wieters has a great year trying to earn his bigger payday. This could still work out well for us, and in a certain way, I think Wieyers' teammates will be pretty psyched about having him back. (Except for Joseph and Clevenger). I'd have preferred that Wieters reject the QO but I still think the O's did the right thing and that there are worse things in the world than having Wieters back.

I'm with you 100%. Let's hope Wieters has a great year trying to earn his bigger payday. This could still work out well for us, and in a certain way, I think Wieyers' teammates will be pretty psyched about having him back. (Except for Joseph and Clevenger). I'd have preferred that Wieters reject the QO but I still think the O's did the right thing and that there are worse things in the world than having Wieters back.

I remember an interview with Joseph a number of years ago where he expressed his desire to be Wieters back up.

I don't think this news is going to crush him.

Not based off of what I have read of him.

Agreed. There is room for MW, Joseph and Clevenger. Heck, right now all three our starters. Good point about the clubhouse. Maybe this gets O'day back.

Archived