Possible Solutions to the Wieters problem

Aristotelian

$41M to Wieters, Hardy, and Jimenez.

Jimenez is our best pitcher. What was our record without Hardy last year? The Hardy stat is a little flukey, but at least he allows Schoop and Manny to be in their comfort zones.

Maybe I have lowered expectations. But I can't criticize moves, when it doesn't look like there will be a flurry of them. Plus it's a one year deal. The same people that will criticize this, will gush over trading for Trumbo and Alvarez. This costs just as much money and doesn't gut our system.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least this one isn't signed to a four year deal.

That is the silver lining here. Once Ubaldo and JJ's contracts expire, we are still set up pretty nicely long term. Maybe it is good to go for "decent" this year with no expectations, take a look at the market next year, and then really go all-in when Ubaldo and JJ's contracts expire.

I would still propose a buyout and see if he is interested.

As opposed to Ubaldo, Hardy, Markakis and Roberts in recent years?

Well now you get Wieters, Hardy, and Ubaldo back together again. Maybe Wieters goes off for 280/335/465, 25 hr. That's certainly possible, but it is found money if it happens (like Cruz was) and not a plan for success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well now you get Wieters, Hardy, and Ubaldo back together again. Maybe Wieters goes off for 280/335/465, 25 hr. That's certainly possible, but it is found money if it happens (like Cruz was) and not a plan for success.

What was the Met's plan? Have Bernie make them Oodles of money? What was the Nationals plan? Attract fans of combat sport?

But if you are counting problems I put Wieters behind the other two.

Explained above. He would be able to hit the market without a comp pick attached. He could be looking at 4/$40 (plus the buyout cash) instead of 4/$32. He would be hitting the market without comp pick attached at Age 30 instead of Age 31 with compensation required (in the best case scenario).

No thanks. I'll take Wieters for another year and the comp pick next year over just wasting $3MM. And I was hoping that he'd decline it.

What was the Met's plan? Have Bernie make them Oodles of money? What was the Nationals plan? Attract fans of combat sport?

Mets built one of the best young rotations in baseball and traded for cespedes to shore up a challenged offense. Nats played poorly; had some injuries. But then again I may be completely missing the point you are making, as I have no clue what either org has to do with Baltimores team building...

I see that the Padres offloaded Joaquin Benoit.

Oh this is the part where questioning the Orioles results in you listing screw ups by other teams? I remember all the mud slung at KC in 2014...that worked out.

Archived