The Orioles can't allow Boras to hold them hostage

Dark Helmet

The Orioles can't let Boras compromise their entire offseason. Put the pressure on Boras and Chris. Make your best offer and give them a window to accept. If they don't, then move on to Plan B. Too many holes to fill to watch other targets sign while Boras leaves the Orioles in limbo. Other options that can replace Davis.

Prices tend to drop in January so there is an advantage in waiting. Plus, there are too many teams who would pay Davis, so an ultimatum would not work.

If there is that many teams that would be in on Davis, his price won't drop. If the ultimatum doesn't work, then you move on. If he is still there and the money is still available, then revisit it. Other than that, don't save your eggs to put in Davis' basket.

It seems to me Boras' MO is to put out an exorbitant figure to set the bar high, not expecting to get that. He probably has a minimum number he won't go below but no one will ever know that. I think 5/90 is a good estimate of CD true worth, so half way between that and 7/182 is around 6/130. Teams will have to meet that or better or it, IMO.

Last year, every FA who changed teams and got a total contract of at least $30M signed by December 16th. They say this year could move even faster. The guys who linger are the ones who have less value or some sort of mark against them, such as a recent suspension or injury. Davis, Chen, and O'Day should be decided by Christmas. Maybe Parra as well. Pearce might be around for a while.

Last year, every FA who changed teams and got a total contract of at least $30M signed by December 16th. They say this year could move even faster. The guys who linger are the ones who have less value or some sort of mark against them, such as a recent suspension or injury. Davis, Chen, and O'Day should be decided by Christmas. Maybe Parra as well. Pearce might be around for a while.

As wildcard pointed out in another thread, Scherzer and Shields both signed after New Year's.

Davis is gone. Machado had 35 HR's last year at age 22. We can get three players for the price of Davis. We're now forced to have MW back. He can play some 1b. Bring Pearce back. Pearce, MW, and Clevenger can all play some 1st. We need two high OBP bats for LF and RF and a SP.

How many HR's do you think Machado and Davis will hit next year?

Ultimatums in general are stupid. Ultimatums to Scott Boras however, should be no less than high comedy. I would pay good money to be a fly on Boras' office wall if and when that phone call happened.

I very much like the notion of the Orioles setting a fast pace this offseason. It would require flexibility in their approach and overall I think that would be beneficial.

Ultimatums in general are stupid. Ultimatums to Scott Boras however, should be no less than high comedy. I would pay good money to be a fly on Boras' office wall if and when that phone call happened.

Duke said the other day that he spoke with Boras and it was the fastest negotiation he had ever had in his career. Good bet it went something along the lines of your quote above. Duke made an offer, Boras laughed, they both wished each other a good night. Call over!

Duke said the other day that he spoke with Boras and it was the fastest negotiation he had ever had in his career. Good bet it went something along the lines of your quote above. Duke made an offer, Boras laughed, they both wished each other a good night. Call over!

He was referring to Wieters' QO. The O's offered, Wieters accepted. No negotiations with Boras necessary.

Archived