Dodgers Trade: Thoughts?

Stotle

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's not how it works. My family would be seriously impacted without my income, but I still walk out the door in the morning to face the low percentage odds that I get into a car crash, or maybe slip on a banana peel.

Exactly right. Likewise, you and your wife likely make contingency plans (disability insurance, life insurance, whatever) so that you have a plan in place in case the unlikely happens. I would assume Duquette and his team sketched out a course of action to allow the team to put together a club assuming Wieters accepts the QO. Interested to see how it unfolds.

That's not how it works. My family would be seriously impacted without my income, but I still walk out the door in the morning to face the low percentage odds that I get into a car crash, or maybe slip on a banana peel.

If the QO was a life or death decision, then I agree. Not sure getting a comp pick or keeping Wieters was life or death. If I was killed going to work, I'd want my wife to get on with her life.

Not sure how they can be fortunate in the trade market. Don't have the farm to make the trades that will make an impact. May as well keep what they have and do the usual. Throw you know what on the wall and hope it sticks. If they weren't going to be able to raise the payroll enough to compensate for Wieters accepting the QO, they shouldn't have risked it. No matter how low the percentage was that he'd take it.

You would have been very unhappy to have allowed him to leave with no compensation also.

And in hindsight, they were wrong.

Underline, bold, and underline again "hindsight". Nobody had ever taken a QO before, Wieters would have been the best C on the market, and we can't let a franchise player walk without compensation. It was absolutely the right decision at the time, and Wieters just made a shocking and potentially terrible decision to take the QO.

Also, there is a better than even chance that he has a decent year and the O's get a pick back next year (the free agent class next year is terrible), so the only thing the decision will have cost the O's is the $15M this year. Not a terrible outcome in the grand scheme of things.

Underline, bold, and underline again "hindsight". Nobody had ever taken a QO before, Wieters would have been the best C on the market, and we can't let a franchise player walk without compensation. It was absolutely the right decision at the time, and Wieters just made a shocking and potentially terrible decision to take the QO.

Also, there is a better than even chance that he has a decent year and the O's get a pick back next year (the free agent class next year is terrible), so the only thing the decision will have cost the O's is the $15M this year. Not a terrible outcome in the grand scheme of things.

If he's having a good year, we might get more for him in a deadline deal than the draft pick was worth. Unless we are in the thick of it and he is a big reason why, or, unless Joseph is injured, I doubt they will carry him all season.

Archived