Dodgers Trade: Thoughts?

Stotle

I think it's unlikely, as well. From what I understand and what I heard prior to Puig signing with the Dodgers, I'm inclined to believe he's a bit of a bad dude. But cheap production is cheap production when your options are limited, I guess. And there were industry folks calling Harper a "bad dude" as well.

The local scouts from Cuba didn't have anything good to say about Puig either and you don't see that very often, they are somewhat protective of their own. They referred to him as a "diva", setting himself apart from other players, wanting preferential treatment early on.

I think the difference between him and Harper is stark in terms of effort on the field and what their teammates think of them. And I've been a harsh critic of Harper's antics in the past.

A distinction should always be made between immaturity and arrogant behavior. Therein lies the rub with Puig for me, he's not just inexperienced and making youthful mistakes, he's an ogre. Can Buck or Adam set him straight? Some people just refuse instruction.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Orioles (re: DD) are going to have to pull a rabbit or 2 out of the hat to legitimately contend next year. As it stands, with Wieters taking the QO, there's just no way for the O's to put a team on the field that is even as good as last year's through the free agent market alone. The best we could hope for at this point is resigning Davis and replacing Chen. That would still leave us short O'Day, Pearce, etc.

I really hope that Dan (and Buck, since he seems to me the more straight-laced) are thinking outside the box. We are going to need to pull off a team-complexion-changing deal in addition to FA signings to be better off than last year.

I think if Tillman, Gonzo, and Gausman pitch like we know they can, we're gonna have a shot.

Kind of eviscerates the pitching staff, and takes on a ton of risk with Puig. Orioles would have to come up with a bunch of complimentary signings/acquisitions to make up for the loss of Gausman and Britton. What was Puig's injury story this past year? It kind of got lost in the "Mattingly hates him" storyline.

Honestly, I feel like some of these pretty-to-very good cuban players' flaws get glossed over a bit. Cespedes is the infamous one for me. Posters around here were simultaneously denigrating Wieters and wondering why we didn't sign Cespedes, despite similar offensive numbers (particularly w/r/t OBP).

The local scouts from Cuba didn't have anything good to say about Puig either and you don't see that very often, they are somewhat protective of their own. They referred to him as a "diva", setting himself apart from other players, wanting preferential treatment early on.

I think the difference between him and Harper is stark in terms of effort on the field and what their teammates think of them. And I've been a harsh critic of Harper's antics in the past.

A distinction should always be made between immaturity and arrogant behavior. Therein lies the rub with Puig for me, he's not just inexperienced and making youthful mistakes, he's an ogre. Can Buck or Adam set him straight? Some people just refuse instruction.

There is definitely some valid criticism of "playing the game the right way" cliches, but the criticism of Puig seems incredibly valid.

The Orioles (re: DD) are going to have to pull a rabbit or 2 out of the hat to legitimately contend next year. As it stands, with Wieters taking the QO, there's just no way for the O's to put a team on the field that is even as good as last year's through the free agent market alone. The best we could hope for at this point is resigning Davis and replacing Chen. That would still leave us short O'Day, Pearce, etc.

I really hope that Dan (and Buck, since he seems to me the more straight-laced) are thinking outside the box. We are going to need to pull off a team-complexion-changing deal in addition to FA signings to be better off than last year.

Honestly, I don't think the Wieters QO deal should play too much into long-term plans. It will almost certainly come off the books next season. Even if we have to pay Wiet, Davis, extend Manny and sign someone like Fister to a ~1/$12M deal and up payroll to something like $135M, I don't think it should be a big deal as Wiet/Fister (in this scenario) would come off the books in a year as well as Ubaldo/Hardy in the near future, leaving Manny/AJ/Davis as the only LT commitments. I think we truly still do have some flexibility.

Honestly, I don't think the Wieters QO deal should play too much into long-term plans. It will almost certainly come off the books next season. Even if we have to pay Wiet, Davis, extend Manny and sign someone like Fister to a ~1/$12M deal and up payroll to something like $135M, I don't think it should be a big deal as Wiet/Fister (in this scenario) would come off the books in a year as well as Ubaldo/Hardy in the near future, leaving Manny/AJ/Davis as the only LT commitments. I think we truly still do have some flexibility.

I think Fister is a horrible pitcher.

I think Fister is a horrible pitcher.

Why is that? Other than last seaosn, he has posted very strong results consistently despite playing in front of fairly poor defenses. Over his career he has below league average FB and LD rates and above average GB rates. I think he would do well here and would like a lefty on a ST prove-it deal over a LT commitment or relying on a young guy (esp. given Bundy's injury situation and/or innings cap).

Why is that? Other than last seaosn, he has posted very strong results consistently despite playing in front of fairly poor defenses. Over his career he has below league average FB and LD rates and above average GB rates. I think he would do well here and would like a lefty on a ST prove-it deal over a LT commitment or relying on a young guy (esp. given Bundy's injury situation and/or innings cap).

I think his career is done.

Him = Puig, not Kershaw, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct, Kershaw is the one making the ask. When your ace, with whom you have a long term commitment, has trouble with someone on the team due to ongoing personality issues that may be something you pay close attention to resolving.

Why does Wieters taking the QO kill the offseason? They paid him 10m last year. They added 6m but subtracted quite a bit of salary too. I know there's arbitration, but the Orioles should have a reasonable estimate on those. If Wieters taking the QO killed the offseason, this team is doomed. I suspect Wieters taking the QO will however be the excuse this year.

Archived