L. J. Hoes Goes back to O's

xian4

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You didn't ask me, but I don't. And I'll take Hoes over Reimold at this point. He's just more solid all around.

Agreed, but only if things fall through with the rest of their OF plans (i.e. left handed bat or two in FA/trade). Hoes is just as likely to be a breeze through town as he is to stick around.

Side note, maybe the 2008 draft gets and unexpected bump in value :)

Second side note, the Norris trade is now essentially straight up for Hader.

Agreed, but only if things fall through with the rest of their OF plans (i.e. left handed bat or two in FA/trade). Hoes is just as likely to be a breeze through town as he is to stick around.

IIRC, most of the angst over the Norris trade on this board at the time was over Hoes. Losing Hader at the time wasn't considered so much of a big deal, though people did like him because of his local ties. I could be wrong, but that's how I remember it.

IIRC, most of the angst over the Norris trade on this board at the time was over Hoes. Losing Hader at the time wasn't considered so much of a big deal, though people did like him because of his local ties. I could be wrong, but that's how I remember it.

At the time the OF was full and most people saw Hoes' role as trade fodder. I do think more people on this board were upset about Hader since Tony focused on how underrated he was.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

L.J. Hoes was selected in Round 3 of the 2008 draft. Of the 35 picks made in that round:

35 picks

18 major leaguers

10 with a positive WAR score

8 with at least 100 games played:

rWAR

13.6 Craig Kimbrel

7.2 Johnny Espinosa

5.2 Jordy Mercer

5.1 Vance Worley (hello there)

2.4 Kirk Niewenhuis

0.5 Brent Morel

0.5 Logan Schafer

0.1 LJ Hoes

Hoes barely makes the cut line but seeing as he does, he was a good pick.

Derek Fisher. The comp pick from UVA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think your memory is fuzzy here. I'd say the least tears were wept over Hoes.

I don't see Hoes as a replacement for Lough. Lough has much more speed to cover CF than Hoes from what I remember of him. Remember Buck was so disappointed in Parra's CF defense that he recalled Lough late in September.

Lough is undoubtedly a better defensive OF than Hoes. However, he has been absolutely worthless with the bat the last two years. Hoes can play solid defense at all three OF spots (though not as good as Lough), and given the opportunity, I expect he will prove to be a much better hitter, though he hasn't hit well in the major leagues to date.

Lough is undoubtedly a better defensive OF than Hoes. However, he has been absolutely worthless with the bat the last two years. Hoes can play solid defense at all three OF spots (though not as good as Lough), and given the opportunity, I expect he will prove to be a much better hitter, though he hasn't hit well in the major leagues to date.

That's just the issue with us and our super-platooning. Non-starting players (especially outfielders) just don't get enough at bats to get things going.

Who knows, maybe he'll excel in the role. But I'm not incredibly hopeful.

This was a BIG mistake. Not that I have trouble with signing Hoes, but clearly they should have acquired BJ and Justin Upton first. Or maybe Jose and Yadier Molina.

Major Faux Pas on the Orioles Part. ;)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/MRLJHOES2U">@MRLJHOES2U</a> well get yo ass to San Diego so we can get to work.</p>— 10 (@SimplyAJ10) <a href="

">November 25, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/MRLJHOES2U">@MRLJHOES2U</a> well get yo ass to San Diego so we can get to work.</p>— 10 (@SimplyAJ10) <a href="
">November 25, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Nice to see AJ excited. Keep workin DD!

Archived