L. J. Hoes Goes back to O's

xian4

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll tell you why this is great. Because very few roster spots are actually fungible. 4th OF, 2nd Catcher, and Utility Infielder are real positions. There's only one fungible bench spot (none if you platoon something). Hoes has the skillset to fill in at every OF position, to get the occasional start, to have a strong OBP, and to pinch-run. That's what the OF4 needs to do. Now, it could be Lough or Parra or Reimold too... but to bring in a legit option for nothing is an awesome move. Same thing with Tolleson.

Good move. I've been talking this move up since September. Good OBP in the minors. We need more guys that can hit line drives and take walks without striking out. Plus this continues our relationship with the Astros. I believe it's DD's 4/5th trade with them in the last 2.5 years. Right now I'd put him about even with Reimold and Alvarez for the starting LF/RF spots. Ahead of Parades and Urrutia.

Lough is undoubtedly a better defensive OF than Hoes. However, he has been absolutely worthless with the bat the last two years. Hoes can play solid defense at all three OF spots (though not as good as Lough), and given the opportunity, I expect he will prove to be a much better hitter, though he hasn't hit well in the major leagues to date.

The problem for me is that Hoes has had any success at the majors at the plate. His OBP is under .290 and that is on a team that already has poor numbers. I guess it's worth taking a shot but likely gets DFAd at the end of spring training.

The upside is that his minor league OPS is almost 100 points better which means there is hope.

The problem for me is that Hoes has had any success at the majors at the plate. His OBP is under .290 and that is on a team that already has poor numbers. I guess it's worth taking a shot but likely gets DFAd at the end of spring training.

The upside is that his minor league OPS is almost 100 points better which means there is hope.

He just isn't as good a ML hitter as Reimold. Now, maybe he can improve, but his ceiling has always been that of a 4th OF type. But if he can't put up better OBP numbers there's not a place for him. He's not near the fielder Lough is.

Archived