Duquette Speaks

Frobby

They didn't ask him the question, how did he shy away from it? Cueto and Greinke are the only TORs on the market. Was he supposed to declare that we would sign one of them?

I may be reading into things but he talked about how he liked some of the non tendered starters and how prices are getting high....he likes a couple of traded candidates. It was also interesting how he was oblivious to Pedro Alverez decent offensive season. "I guess he had a down season that's why Pittsburg didn't tender him...

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I may be reading into things but he talked about how he liked some of the non tendered starters and how prices are getting high....he likes a couple of traded candidates. It was also interesting how he was oblivious to Pedro Alverez decent offensive season. "I guess he had a down season that's why Pittsburg didn't tender him...

With an h. An H.

I did not pick up on any oblivion. But I might be reading something out of it.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">No one has approached Zach about ever returning to the rotation. If he were to have done that, he would have wanted to know last year.</p>— Orioles Hangout (@OriolesHangout) <a href="
">December 3, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Darren love Buck and Baltimore.

Zach told me Buck never approached him about taking over as closer from Hunter either.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Next Thursday's Hot Stove Show will feature several players in-person at <a href="https://twitter.com/DempseysBrewPub">@DempseysBrewPub</a> including Brad Brach, <a href="https://twitter.com/RFlaherty3">@RFlaherty3</a> & <a href="https://twitter.com/t_willy18">@t_willy18</a>.</p>— Baltimore Orioles (@Orioles) <a href="

">December 4, 2015</a></blockquote>

"We're going to have a good team. We're going to put a good team out there. And we started our off-season by picking up Trumbo yesterday. I think he's going to be a good power hitter for us."

"At some point we have to move forward. Either you can get a deal or you can't get a deal."

"There are more non-tenders this year than I think I've ever seen. There are a couple players I wasn't expecting to be non-tendered. There are a couple of pitchers on the list that are interesting that are well-established major leaguers."

www.MASNsports.com

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">"It's an honor that Don called and asked me to be a part of tonight" -<a href="https://twitter.com/Orioles">@Orioles</a> Mgr Buck Showalter <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MattinglyRBI?src=hash">#MattinglyRBI</a> <a href="https://t.co/VlMmVWUE9z">pic.twitter.com/VlMmVWUE9z</a></p>— Mattingly Charities (@MattinglyChrty) <a href="

">December 4, 2015</a></blockquote>

From what I remember it was the O's that brought it up a couple of years ago, not Manny.

No doubt it is a two way street and both sides need to want to have the player stay in Baltimore.

But saying it is out of hands is ridiculous.

To keep things ridiculous if Manny really wanted to stay in Baltimore and he told the team he would sign a 10/150 deal with a NTC to do it is there any chance the O's don't leap at the deal?

Manny has the power to do that, it is in his hands.

Now of course I don't expect that to happen, but he does have the power to make it happen.

The truth is the matter is in his hands.

I looked to see if I could find any old articles about who approached who previously, but I couldn't find it. My memory was that it was Manny or his agent who raised it, but I could be wrong. I thought it was after his 2012 season (and before either knee surgery).

But I don't think the player ever begins the negotiation by saying what he'd take. So, I guess you are technically right that's it's in Manny's power to stay, but I think in reality he's got to wait to have the discussion until the team says it's ready to talk.

I proposed 10/$231mm early in the season. I still think that's a good deal for both sides.

I looked to see if I could find any old articles about who approached who previously, but I couldn't find it. My memory was that it was Manny or his agent who raised it, but I could be wrong. I thought it was after his 2012 season (and before either knee surgery).

But I don't think the player ever begins the negotiation by saying what he'd take. So, I guess you are technically right that's it's in Manny's power to stay, but I think in reality he's got to wait to have the discussion until the team says it's ready to talk.

I proposed 10/$231mm early in the season. I still think that's a good deal for both sides.

It is the language used that bothers me.

Don't proclaim to be helpless when you in fact have the most power in the situation.

Each day that goes by, Manny Machado's price tag becomes steeper. The Orioles are sitting on their hands while a once-in-a-generation franchise cornerstone player slips away.

Archived