Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've had this conversation with him. If Darren O'Day were 26 and he was second year arb, and he was projected to make 3.2. He would probably keep him. I think he is even ok with keeping Zach Britton this year. Though he may not admit it.

I'd flip O'Day but a large part of that is due to Givens being ready to take over next year.

The failure of most of the team's multi-year contracts to work out well doesn't mean that the team shouldn't ever sign any relievers to multi-year contracts. It means that the GM needs to do a better job of evaluating which relievers would be worth multi-year contracts. Signing players to multi-year contracts is a crap shoot; the team takes a chance that the player won't get injured or turn out to be a bust. The advantage of multi-year contracts is that the team will get a better deal signing Player X for multiple years rather than signing him each year to a single year contract, which will cost more.

When considering which reliever would be worth a multi-year deal, the GM needs do a very careful evaluation of each reliever's talent, health, and potential. However, even if a GM does this, it's still no guarantee that the contract will work out.

I'm not a GM. But as a fan, I believe that a decent attempt to resign O'Day would be a good investment for the O's.

You do realize the hypocrisy in your statement right? The GM has to do a better job at identifying who will work out? Do you not think that is what they do?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
I agree with your theory on relievers. But don't you think you have to adjust a little considering what type of rotation we have. Our bullpen has to give us 9+ outs most nights.
And I also said I would look at each case as it appeared.

My guiding philosophy would be to trade them before they got expensive.

Of course you have to be flexible.

Also keep in mind that as part of my strategy I would be targeting college arms in the draft with the goal of keeping a steady supply of replacements in the system.

Of course you have to be flexible.

Also keep in mind that as part of my strategy I would be targeting college arms in the draft with the goal of keeping a steady supply of replacements in the system.

Truthfully, I think this a good way to build a team on a relatively strict budget. If you make games short, where your starter keeps you in the game for 6 innings, and then turn the game over to a strong bullpen, you are set. See the KC Royals last year...and THIS year for that matter!

• 1 month later...

Archived