O's Offer to Davis Off the Table

Babypowder

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/Jim_Duquette">@Jim_Duquette</a>: "The money's there for Chris Davis, but if he goes away so does the money." AUDIO: <a href="https://t.co/Zf8269Jy9s">https://t.co/Zf8269Jy9s</a></p>— MLB Network Radio (@MLBNetworkRadio) <a href="
">December 10, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't believe a word that comes out of Jim Duquette's lips.

Also, if this were the case, why pull the offer? Just leave it there all winter until Davis accepts or signs elsewhere.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, if this were the case, why pull the offer? Just leave it there all winter until Davis accepts or signs elsewhere.

I think if they haven't yet pulled the offer, the O's may have too fairly soon. We can't sign Upton or Gordon and a couple arms only to have that offer suddenly picked up. That would be fun, but it would break the bank...

-Don

You hate it when I correct you. Oh, well ;)

You don't leave the offer out there all winter because you need to build a team. I wouldn't assume Angelos lets Dan add another outfielder and a pitcher, and after already going over last year's budget in a couple months gives him another $20+M for Davis.

I think if they haven't yet pulled the offer, the O's may have too fairly soon. We can't sign Upton or Gordon and a couple arms only to have that offer suddenly picked up. That would be fun, but it would break the bank...

-Don

That's not really how it works. Davis' camp can't just "pick up" the offer and have it be legally binding.

They can come back and say "yeah we want make this deal happen", probably with a few additional incentives/clauses to negotiate and they pick it up from there. Tons of moving parts before anything becomes official.

-Don

They've pulled the offer so they can negotiate with Upton/Gordon etc.

That's not really how it works. Davis' camp can't just "pick up" the offer and have it be legally binding.

They can come back and say "yeah we want make this deal happen", probably with a few additional incentives/clauses to negotiate and they pick it up from there. Tons of moving parts before anything becomes official.

If the O's leave a standing offer it can be accepted, is all I was saying. If we have indeed pulled the offer, I'm well aware they can't come back and pick it up.

Davis has been my favorite Oriole for years, and I wanted him resigned, however, I'm now ready to move on.

His production does need to be replaced in some fashion, but it's not like this guy has a long track record to go on. He could just as easily hit .200 and hit out 35HR as he could hit .270 and bomb 50 HR.

We offered him a deal that was more than fair for more money than he will ever spend in a lifetime. We get strung along. Good luck to him.

You hate it when I correct you. Oh, well ;)

You don't leave the offer out there all winter because you need to build a team. I wouldn't assume Angelos lets Dan add another outfielder and a pitcher, and after already going over last year's budget in a couple months gives him another $20+M for Davis.

A couple of you are missing the point I quoted. Some are saying the money is ONLY there for Davis. If that's true there is no Upton or Heyward or Gordon to sign. So why pull the offer? IF they think the money is ONLY there for Davis?

Archived