O's Offer to Davis Off the Table

Babypowder

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does Boras have other guys working on deals with his other clients. The number of clients he has would be hard to keep track of all them and the offerens and counter offers to and from teams.

From Wikipedia

The Boras Corporation operates out of a $20 million, 23,000-square-foot (2,100 m2), two-story, glass-and-steel building in Newport Beach, California[26] The corporate headquarters includes a kitchen, laundry room, gym, shower, lounge, 70 flat-screen televisions and a large patio with a 15-foot (4.6 m) tall waterfall, fire pit and barbecue.[27] Boras' subsidiary companies include Boras Marketing (memorabilia, marketing, and endorsements)[28] and the Boras Sports Training Institute (strength/conditioning and sports psychology).[29] Many of Boras's 75-person staff are former major leaguers, including Bob Brower, Don Carman, Bill Caudill, Scott Chiamparino, Mike Fischlin, Calvin Murray, Jeff Musselman, Domingo Ramos and Kurt Stillwell, and the company has scouts spread across the United States, Asia and Latin America.[13][26][30][31] Boras's staff also includes an MIT-trained economist, a former NASA computer engineer, three lawyers, five personal trainers, an investment team (although Boras' firm does not provide investment services for clients),[32] a sports psychologist, a 14-person research staff and an employee charged with watching each day's games and sending information to Boras.

If you want to sign Machado long term you have to root against a Davis signing. Unless you believe Baltimore is going to overlap $20+ MM/year for multiple years of Davis with $25-30+ MM/year for multiple years of Machado. I just don't see Baltimore entering 2019 owing ~$50 MM to Davis and Machado.

If you want to sign Machado long term you have to root against a Davis signing. Unless you believe Baltimore is going to overlap $20+ MM/year for multiple years of Davis with $25-30+ MM/year for multiple years of Machado. I just don't see Baltimore entering 2019 owing ~$50 MM to Davis and Machado.

Fair point, but I think maybe this is why PA was pushing so hard for Davis - he isn't sure Machado will stay. I thought DD said we tried for an early extension once, and it didn't go well. I'm greedy, I want both, but I would definitely prefer an all out push to keep Manny an Oriole for the long term.

-Don

True, but I think we need to spend that money somehow to stay competitive to make Machado want to stay. Now, that money may be better spent spread out to multiple players, but I think we need to show that we are willing to spend it in some manner. I am not one of those "break out the blank checks on all FAs" guys, but I think we are going to have to spend a little more in coming years.

Dan Lozano won't be an easy negotiation for a Machado either. Agents want to get paid. Lozano got A Rod, and Pujols huge deals.

Archived