O's Offer to Davis Off the Table

Babypowder

You would definitely have to soup up the deal. Maybe an opt out after year 3, no deferred money, etc. I'm thinking at this point Davis will not see more than 5/110 or 6/120 unless Angelos decides to bid against himself. 7 years was asinine to begin with.

Or Peter could say......

wait for it.....

giphy.gif

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You would definitely have to soup up the deal. Maybe an opt out after year 3, no deferred money, etc. I'm thinking at this point Davis will not see more than 5/110 or 6/120 unless Angelos decides to bid against himself. 7 years was asinine to begin with.

PA's already bid against himself if what we're hearing is true. Or something very much like it... Unfortunately I don't see the original offer being reduced unless the O's add another semi-expensive FA before Davis and Boras finally decide they've had enough "testing the market" and conclude the Orioles' money doesn't look so bad after all.

What a remarkably wrong headed strategy has been taken with resigning CD. If Cespedes and/or Upton go for a discount while the O's pay retail plus for Davis I'm grabbing not one but TWO pitchforks. One for PA and a second one for his corpse.

I would be very cautious about using one year's worth of information about one part of a team's success as a general prescription for success. Good teams win, there are countless ways to build good teams, and I haven't seen any reasonable evidence that any particular trait of a good team is more likely to result in October success.

Doubling your expected home runs and scoring an average of 6.7 runs a game in the playoffs is certainly enough to cover up above average pitching like KC did. That formula would probably have beaten the 27' Yankees.

The Orioles, like most clubs, are not going to do opt outs. Do you really want to go through something like this again every off-season with players opting out just to demand more money? It's insane. Let the Yankees and Dodgers or whoever bury themselves with opt outs.

The Orioles, like most clubs, are not going to do opt outs. Do you really want to go through something like this again every off-season with players opting out just to demand more money? It's insane. Let the Yankees and Dodgers or whoever bury themselves with opt outs.

It's not a bad bet on Chris Davis though. His next three are likely to be his best anyway. It's no big loss if he walks going into his age 33 season. I'm just trying to think of scenarios where we could bring Chris back without overpaying. In general I agree, these opt out contracts are setting a bad precedent but for a 30 year old player it's not so bad.

An opt out option after year three and taking away the deferred money does little to hurt us and gives Chris and Scott something to hold their heads up about if they have to take less money. That's where we are I think. Those guys aren't going to take two less years and 30 or 40 million less dollars for nothing. Maybe from another team, but not us.

Belle was a good bet, then he got arthritis and killed is for years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A sad episode. Belle was actually a good acquisition. He hit 60 homers and knocked in 220 runs during the two years he actually played for us. I believe insurance covered most of the salary during the remaining years he couldn't despite his every effort to get back on the field. I used to cringe hearing reports of his trying his best to run out grounders on one good leg.

A sad episode. Belle was actually a good acquisition. He hit 60 homers and knocked in 220 runs during the two years he actually played for us. I believe insurance covered most of the salary during the remaining years he couldn't despite his every effort to get back on the field. I used to cringe hearing reports of his trying his best to run out grounders on one good leg.

It's sad that it happened. That's why the physicals are ridiculous now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived