Heyward May Have Crashed the OF Market

Camden_yardbird

Not all of the money will be available, this year

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Duquette says $$ offered to Davis available to other players if he doesn't take it. But maybe not all of it this winter.</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">December 12, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's wise not to spend all your money now, which is understandable.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Duquette says $$ offered to Davis available to other players if he doesn't take it. But maybe not all of it this winter.</p>? Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

What does this even mean? If we signed Davis, we wouldn't be spending the whole $150 million this year, either. We would spend $21 or $22 million. Can we spend $21 or $22 million this year on a good player if Davis doesn't sign? Or are they saying that the $21 or $22 million increase instead will be spread over many years, effectively meaning that we cannot replace Davis in the lineup?

What does this even mean? If we signed Davis, we wouldn't be spending the whole $150 million this year, either. We would spend $21 or $22 million. Can we spend $21 or $22 million this year on a good player if Davis doesn't sign? Or are they saying that the $21 or $22 million increase instead will be spread over many years, effectively meaning that we cannot replace Davis in the lineup?

I think they're saying: don't get any bright ideas and go thinking the Os have this money up for grabs to the player who asks for it... Neither FA or current third basemen -- I mean "player."

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Duquette says $$ offered to Davis available to other players if he doesn't take it. But maybe not all of it this winter.</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

Where is this reported: it has been reported the money is set aside for Davis and Davis only. What ever money is saved will NOT be used on other players?

I believe what he's trying to say is we aren't necessarily going to go out and offer someone else a $150M contract. We may still go after some quality free agents, but it doesn't automatically have to be someone who will cost as much as Davis.

If the beat reporters actually do monitor this forum, they would be doing everyone an enormous public service if could get a translation of this particular example of DD-speak. Upton and to a lesser extent Gordon are both going to get contracts in the same general range as CD. Are either of these players an actual option? Is an alternative approach of say Alvarez and Kazmir possible? Is sunshine being pumped up our collective butts at this point?

If the beat reporters actually do monitor this forum, they would be doing everyone an enormous public service if could get a translation of this particular example of DD-speak. Upton and to a lesser extent Gordon are both going to get contracts in the same general range as CD. Are either of these players an actual option? Is an alternative approach of say Alvarez and Kazmir possible? Is sunshine being pumped up our collective butts at this point?

I'll take sunshine for 50.

No, I don't think he's being sarcastic. Davis really did hit that many home runs.

Now... that was me being sarcastic.

But the point stands. He's among the premier power hitters in the league. He's a freakish athlete who can play a very good first, and legitimate right field when needed (and even 3rd base, and pitcher!). He's a great clubhouse guy. And the offer for CD was for a year less, and $35 million less. Let me put it this way. If Davis was doing all of that and played for the Yankees, and we were talking about signing him as a Free Agent... I think the $150 would seem quite reasonable. It's the grass is always greener conundrum.

Agreed, a big reason teams aren't rushing to sign Chris Davis is because most of the big spending teams are set at first base. And the ones that aren't (mainly the Red Sox) are prioritizing money for other positions. If any of the Yankees, Cubs, Nationals, Dodgers, Rangers, etc. needed a first baseman then most likely the O's aren't even part of the conversation on Chris Davis.

Heyward is going to crash and burn as a player I think. I don't see it with him.

Longer term, I guess Jason Heyward could end up being anything from Andrew McCutchen to Nick Markakis to Carl Crawford. I don't think he'll crash and burn, but you gotta wonder about all the hype about him. I mean against lefties he had a .709 OPS last year. $25+ million a year is a lot for a guy who's nearly a platoon hitter. Jason Heyward could end up being the player who killed WAR as the standard by which player salaries are determined.

Longer term, I guess Jason Heyward could end up being anything from Andrew McCutchen to Nick Markakis to Carl Franklin. I don't think he'll crash and burn, but you gotta wonder about all the hype about him. I mean against lefties he had a .709 OPS last year. $25+ million a year is a lot for a guy who's nearly a platoon hitter. Jason Heyward could end up being the player who killed WAR as the standard by which player salaries are determined.

If by Carl Franklin, you mean, someone who has never played in the major leagues with that name, then I seriously doubt Heyward would be that bad. He would out-do the mythical Carl Franklin by stepping onto the field on Opening Day.

If by Carl Franklin, you mean, someone who has never played in the major leagues with that name, then I seriously doubt Heyward would be that bad. He would out-do the mythical Carl Franklin by stepping onto the field on Opening Day.

:laughlol: I meant Carl Crawford. Don't know why I was thinking of the director of One False Move and Devil in a Blue Dress.

Archived