SI: Don't give Chris Davis More than 5 Years

FanSince88

I'll bet that what's happened here is this.

DD explored contracts for CD that made sense. Boras countered with obscenities (in terms of the counter-offers, not his language). DD saw that nothing could get done in any reasonable timeframe and traded for Trumbo with the full intention of Trumbo being the 2016 1B.

PA stepped in and made an outlandish/incongruous offer of 7/154 directly to Boras (he did negotiate directly with Boras 2x, no?). Boras scoffed. That is where we are.

We have a 2016 1B lined up because DD is a real GM (although not called one with the O's). We had an outrageous offer on the table for CD because PA is an owner who still thinks that he knows more than his baseball people and has his own internal market research that showed that signing CD for 7/154 would be better for ticket sales than spending that 7/154 elsewhere (hint: Upton).

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DD explored contracts for CD that made sense. Boras countered with obscenities (in terms of the counter-offers, not his language). DD saw that nothing could get done in any reasonable timeframe and traded for Trumbo with the full intention of Trumbo being the 2016 1B.

PA stepped in and made an outlandish/incongruous offer of 7/154 directly to Boras (he did negotiate directly with Boras 2x, no?). Boras scoffed. That is where we are.

We have a 2016 1B lined up because DD is a real GM (although not called one with the O's). We had an outrageous offer on the table for CD because PA is an owner who still thinks that he knows more than his baseball people and has his own internal market research that showed that signing CD for 7/154 would be better for ticket sales than spending that 7/154 elsewhere (hint: Upton).

When I was at Fanfest, I talked with a couple of people who, at one point at the end of the O's season, said they would boycott the O's if they did not re-sign Chris Davis. Now that O's management has made a real effort, these fans are satisfied whether or not CD gets signed or not. So at this point, I don't believe that not signing CD to a ridiculous deal will hurt ticket sales.

It blows my mind that a deal was not made at 7/150. Terrible mistake by Boras.

I added up the OP FanSince88's article projection chart thru the years. Added up their 7 year projection. 157.8 mill. The Orioles were right on the mark at 154. Chris won't get better, unless you count a one year contract somewhere.

You're not doing enough to highlight the point and make it stick.

Oh, look here. A giant piece of delicious cake. It's huge. Jumbo, even. Which rhymes with Trumbo, the last name of the guy the O's signed as a contingency for 1B.

Caaaaake. Trumbo. 1B. Not Flaherty. Trumbo.

I think we've got it now.

That's Trumbo

With a capital T

And that rhymes with P

And that stands for POOL

Maybe they offered it knowing full well that Boras wasn't going to meet their "deadline."

EXACTLY. The Orioles are notorious for their plausible deniability Big offers they know will not be accepted or large numbers that are still smaller than other teams' offers.

However, the market and the Orioles analysis are clearly similar as it applies to Davis. He's not a as good as he (Boras) thinks he is and no team is going to over pay for, essentially, a 1 trick pony whose trick will diminish rapidly when it starts to go.

He'll be lucky to 5/95 when all is said and done

EXACTLY. The Orioles are notorious for their plausible deniability Big offers they know will not be accepted or large numbers that are still smaller than other teams' offers.

However, the market and the Orioles analysis are clearly similar as it applies to Davis. He's not a as good as he (Boras) thinks he is and no team is going to over pay for, essentially, a 1 trick pony whose trick will diminish rapidly when it starts to go.

He'll be lucky to 5/95 when all is said and done

Either that or they reach the outer limits of their stupidity earlier than other teams and are tragically misunderstood in the stampede to win the offseason.

Yup nail meet hammer.

I do not believe the Orioles have any serious intentions of signing Gordon or Upton. It's Davis or bargain shopping. Duquette as much as said so.

Yup. I can see a Kim/Reimold platoon in one OF slot, and some lesser part (Pearce, maybe) in another. Hopefully, we'll use some other money to acquire a starting pitcher.

It blows my mind that a deal was not made at 7/150. Terrible mistake by Boras.

Me too. Color me surprised if Davis gets anything exceeding that substantially.

I think Angelos instructed Duquette to make that offer. If Angelos has green lighted a payroll increase over the next several year, Davis or no Davis -- which based on his answer to my question at Fanfest, he has -- Duquette's MO has been to sign multiple players, and keep payroll flexibility for mid-season signings. Not put it all towards one player.

Archived