SI: Don't give Chris Davis More than 5 Years

FanSince88

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Me too. Color me surprised if Davis gets anything exceeding that substantially.

I think Angelos instructed Duquette to make that offer. If Angelos has green lighted a payroll increase over the next several year, Davis or no Davis -- which based on his answer to my question at Fanfest, he has -- Duquette's MO has been to sign multiple players, and keep payroll flexibility for mid-season signings. Not put it all towards one player.

I agree with this. The trouble is some people think not spending it all on one player means bargain basement shopping and Peter pocketing the difference.

If you listen to Duquette, Davis dollars will not be re-invested in someone like Upton.
I think if you listen to DD, no one player will get 7 years at 154 M. Is that what Upton will get? Maybe. Is that what Gordon will get? probably not. It certainly isn't what Fowler, Span or Alvarez will get.

I would like to spend the money on multiple players as well but if we get CD for

150m I'm fine with that as well. Jason Hayward was offered 200M from the nats. Career 268 hitter that avg 100 Ks a year and gets on base at a little higher clip then CD? So Davis run production over the last 3 years destroys Hayward. I value Defense a lot and an above average first baseman is more inportant to me then a great right fielder. 95 percent of my Baseball time is spent with the Os. Why is Davis not worth as much as Hayward?

If you listen to Duquette, Davis dollars will not be re-invested in someone like Upton.

He said they would re-invest it but not necessarily this year. Whatever that means. I am guessing there is a middle ground between Davis and Travis Snider. Probably not Upton, but something more like Kim and Jaso.

Read the context of my first post. As I said, it was in response to many around here who call him a great athlete. You noted speed, but what tools does he have? He's had an above average glove the last two years but it's below average for his career.

He's a one tool player. I'll bet you can name it. He's a true three outcome hitter. Apparently, you're willing to overpay for that. To me, that's silly.

Except, of course, for those five balls caught over the fence last year. They were simply luck. ;)

Reading comprehension isn't a strong suit of his. :)

If you think you are a comedian now I suggest you don't quit your day job! If you are being serious I commend you for contributing absolutely nothing at all to this thread other than a waste of space !

Archived