Yankees Got Chapman

weams

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Miller is the one trying to get out of New York also. He does not like it there.

Do you have a source in which he says he's trying to get out of NY?

ESPN December 10th: CLEARWATER, Fla. -- Pitcher Andrew Miller wants to stay with the New York Yankees, saying he has no control over trade talks.

New York Daily News today: Cashman said it is his ?intent?? to keep all three of his relievers, and said he phoned Andrew Miller to explain the situation to him as soon as he made the deal. The Yankee GM said he planned to speak to Chapman later on Monday night.

Cashman had said earlier this offseason that he would be willing to trade Miller if a deal made sense to him, likely to beef up his starting rotation. ?I?m sure we?ll get a lot of interesting calls," he said, ?but the full intent is to retain all three high-caliber arms to the benefit of that win column in 2016.??

I admire your passion, but this is the exact wrong way to go about fixing anything. "Let's do something we know is likely to have no positive effect but will make us feel better" has never done any good that I'm aware of. Particularly when your actions are negatively impacting others.

Who are they negatively impacting? I'm not calling for Chapman to be suspended or even fined. I'm simply stating that MLB needs to backup their statements regarding domestic violence. I really don't like the policy of punishment without some written guideline. I would think anger management counseling would be mandatory but who knows.

Who are they negatively impacting? I'm not calling for Chapman to be suspended or even fined. I'm simply stating that MLB needs to backup their statements regarding domestic violence. I really don't like the policy of punishment without some written guideline. I would think anger management counseling would be mandatory but who knows.

I was directing the point generally. There are plenty on here who would like to see Chapman suspended or released outright.

Well, if it makes you feel better, I see this move as confirming that Cashman is not a good guy.

I don't really think it's fair to make assumptions about a GM's personality based on the players he acquires. Cashman made a baseball-related decision. He acquired a player that will make his team stronger. And I'm sure the Yankees did their homework about Chapman's off-the-field incidents before they agreed to the trade. I don't think acquiring Chapman means that Cashman is ambivalent about domestic violence.

Francisco Rodriguez has a troubled history as well, and Dan Duquette acquired him in 2013. That doesn't mean Duquette "is not a good guy."

Gotta give the Yankees credit on this. Even if he misses half the season, they finish the season with the best trio of relievers in MLB history, imo. And they gave up so little. Granted, it could be for just 1 year, but having a player makes it much easier to sign him.

Do you have a source in which he says he's trying to get out of NY?

ESPN December 10th: CLEARWATER, Fla. -- Pitcher Andrew Miller wants to stay with the New York Yankees, saying he has no control over trade talks.

New York Daily News today: Cashman said it is his ?intent?? to keep all three of his relievers, and said he phoned Andrew Miller to explain the situation to him as soon as he made the deal. The Yankee GM said he planned to speak to Chapman later on Monday night.

Cashman had said earlier this offseason that he would be willing to trade Miller if a deal made sense to him, likely to beef up his starting rotation. ?I?m sure we?ll get a lot of interesting calls," he said, ?but the full intent is to retain all three high-caliber arms to the benefit of that win column in 2016.??

A couple of non-New York media pieces from a month or so back mentioned it it was also characterize on the MLB network during the winter meeting as one of the reasons that New York was shopping Miller. If you require actual sources I'll Retract my statement. As I am busy at work right now I'll try to find the link for twofor you later. Certainly you would heard something about that issue whet here the Yankees denied it or not.

The Yankees were 81-0 last year when leading going into the 9th inning, 73-2 when leading going into the 8th, and 66-3 when leading going into the 7th. Their bullpen had an 80% save rate, second best in MLB. I'm sure Chapman improves their bullpen, but there is a limit to how much improvement in that record is possible. Bottom line, you'd better be winning after 6 innings if you want to beat the Yankees. Maybe we need to amend that to five innings now.

Miller is the one trying to get out of New York also. He does not like it there.

Not sure if you were joking or what but Miller has said non stop how bad he wants to remain a Yankee. Literally the opposite. The MFY were trying to trade him since they already had a younger guy able to close out ballgames.

Maybe we need to amend that to five innings now.

Right. The argument would be that the arms that would have otherwise come in for the 7th would now be available more often for the 6th, if needed. Plus, losing Miller or Betances to a DL stint becomes a non-issue.

A very shrewd move by the Yanks. Got a great arm while his value was at its lowest point. Now they can have a three-headed monster or trade Miller for young talent. If they keep all three and make the playoffs then this could be a brilliant move. You can get 5-6 innings out of these guys in one game!

Right. The argument would be that the arms that would have otherwise come in for the 7th would now be available more often for the 6th, if needed. Plus, losing Miller or Betances to a DL stint becomes a non-issue.

The last sentence is the most relevant. As for pushing everyone else up, that's not exactly the case. Chapman--if not suspended--will go in a bullpen that lost some arms in Justin Wilson and Adam Warren. He's an upgrade on them, but more replacing them instead of pushing them up to the 6th.

Archived