Can Latos left knee pass an O's physical?

wildcard

In 2014 Matt Latos slipped in ST and hurt is left knee. He had surgery. He went on the DL to start the season and didn't pitch in a major league game until June.

In 2015 Latos went on the DL in May for knee swelling. He was out three weeks.

The O's physicals are well known as some of the most extensive in the majors. Can Latos pass the O's physical?

Could this keep the O's from pursuing him?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good question, to which we cannot possibly know the answer.

But Dan should have much of the information to make an informed decision on what path to take. He should have access to Latos medical records. Plus I have to think that Dan and Buck have an extensive network of people in baseball that know Latos well. Its not a physical but it should certainly tell him whether to pursue him or not.

Good question, to which we cannot possibly know the answer.

How sad that this has become the Orioles? We are in major need of frontline pitching but after watching all the top tier guys go off the board we now have to look at bounce back candidates AND we aren't even sure if those guys can pass our physicals. Oh and we don't give opt out clauses. This team is painful to follow sometimes.

The information on Latos, Fister and other one year guys tells Dan how hard he has to go after Gallardo and whether he needs to give up a 1st round draft choice.

This kind of decision is not new to the O's. As a mid market team they routinely do not sign the top of the FA players. Most O's fans know that is coming before it happens.

But Dan should have much of the information to make an informed decision on what path to take. He should have access to Latos medical records. Plus I have to think that Dan and Buck have an extensive network of people in baseball that know Latos well. Its not a physical but it should certainly tell him whether to pursue him or not.

I doubt the Orioles have Latos' medical records at this stage. It's my impression that those usually don't come until, at a minimum, the parties are close to a deal. We've heard nothing beyond the O's "having interest" in Latos.

Anyway, I'm just saying this is a hard subject for us to discuss because there's virtually no information on which to base an answer.

Let's assume that Latos knee is structurally sound, which it probably is. When are the medical reports from, last summer? I would assume that if the Orioles see red flags on his medical reports then he is already damaged goods and no one will touch him except on a low risk, low ball, one year contract.

Dan knows that the O's doctors judgement on what is good risk is much different than other teams. The O's didn't sign Balfour but Tampa did. O's didn't resign Nick but the Braves did.

I doubt the Orioles have Latos' medical records at this stage. It's my impression that those usually don't come until, at a minimum, the parties are close to a deal. We've heard nothing beyond the O's "having interest" in Latos.

Anyway, I'm just saying this is a hard subject for us to discuss because there's virtually no information on which to base an answer.

My impression is that players who want to prove they are healthy will make medical records available if a team expresses interest.

As far as not having information, that doesn't normally stop us from discussing a player. We deal with what we have which is mostly track record of the player and the team.

We do know it. But we have to read crap like this each winter....

Which gives Oriole fans false hope. Not only isn't Duquette going to improve the pitching staff from last season. The starting pitching isn't likely to even be as good, heading into the season. They are either going to be about the same, and give up a draft pick in the process, or talk up rebounds from Tillman and Gonzalez and the potential of Wright and Wilson. Of course, we've already seen evidence of readjusting the rhetoric.

Fortunately for those of us who pay attention, we have an internal translator that knows that when the O's talk about having a "stronger" pitching staff, we know they don't mean they are going to go out and pay for someone who is better than the guys we had the previous year, they just mean they are going to sign some guys and hope they get some good years from enough of the staff to show some improvement. It must be painful for fans who haven't figured that out over the last 20 years or so.

I don't disagree. They pursued Balfour. Your original post questioned whether the Orioles would pursue Latos.

That was one to the cases that helped define just how much power, and influence the O's doctor have in the O's not signing a player due his condition. Dan's pursue may not have happen if he knew then what he knows now.

We do know it. But we have to read crap like this each winter.

Which gives Oriole fans false hope. Not only isn't Duquette going to improve the pitching staff from last season. The starting pitching isn't likely to even be as good, heading into the season. They are either going to be about the same, and give up a draft pick in the process, or talk up rebounds from Tillman and Gonzalez and the potential of Wright and Wilson. Of course, we've already seen evidence of readjusting the rhetoric.

I agree but it may not one or the other. Its could be both. They may sign Gallardo and talk up Tillman and Gonzalez rebound. That's why the question about Lato's knee is very important. If he is healthy that is another direction the O's can go. If his knee is questionable then giving up the draft choice is more likely.

Let's make this easy and just give us your take on this. What do you see happening?

Let's face it. The original question of "Can Latos left knee pass an O's physical" is just a dumb question. The answer is "Who knows!".

If Dan has his medical records he has a good idea about whether he will pass the physical. Dan is the one who may know.

Price, Greinke, Zimmereman, and Cuetos were the SP who would have inporved the SP. Which one should we have signed, but were too cheap to do so?

To sign any of them would have very unOriolelike. The O's hope to be the Mets one day with Gausman, Bundy and Harvey. For now its more the Blue Jays strategy. Have a decent pitching staff and a better offense. If the O's end up with Manny, Davis, Jones, Schoop, Trumbo, and Wieters that is a ton of power.

Archived