First Domino to Fall? (Gordon back to KC, 4 yrs $72M)

SticksandStones

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would you move halfway across the country, uproot your family, get all new coworkers and friends, and go to work for a company coming off a less-successful year to take the same job for 10% more pay? For me the answer would be an immediate "No!" I think it would have taken more like 5/90, maybe 5/100.

20% is usually the number that gets my attention, personally, in my own career -- all things being equal. Anything less than that I don't even bother with. However, years aren't a factor for me.

I would have liked to have seen the O's offer another year at a 10-15% increase, or same years at 20% over.

Would you move halfway across the country, uproot your family, get all new coworkers and friends, and go to work for a company coming off a less-successful year to take the same job for 10% more pay? For me the answer would be an immediate "No!" I think it would have taken more like 5/90, maybe 5/100.

And then we over pay for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent strategy for Royals to capitalize on their window. The opposite strategy DD used last offseason for the O's. DD's strategy was to sign no one of worth and assume Travis Snyder was actually good.

Wouldn't want any pesky reality to get in the way of stating this hyperbole for the 12,993rd time.

No opt out reported so far, which I'm very excited about. Man the opt out thing has me stressed out.

Orioles offer: Money

Team B offers: Slightly less money + opt out

Outcome: Orioles lose out 9 times out of 10.

I don't think GOrdan is an opt out situation. The other guys were younger so would get it in there 32 year season. If Gordan got an opt out in 2 years he would be going on his 35 year old season I doubt any team would offer him more then 18 million.

It still is difficult to negotiate backwards. It creates really bad feelings that can poison relations at various levels. IMO, the O's Davis at 5/100 or so would make the O's look bad (and the union would flip, keep in mind PA is or was a union supporter), not Davis. He had his offer, turned it down, sign someone else. The funny thing about Davis, by not signing, may have cost these other guys millions.

So this could mean cheaper Davis, but does that then mean more teams in on Davis? Not sure if this is good or bad news. Let's say Davis will take less dollars from a different team and just really wants an opt out. That could be it for the O's.

This is a growing concern. If the O's lower their offer then I expect that Boras will try to go this route in order to use their desire to potentially hit the market again as a reason to turn down the Orioles initial offer. Then he will likely babble about how when they wanted to take it, the O's backed out blah blah blah blah....come on folks, you can almost see this coming. The opt out is the poison pill. Boras will accuse the owners of depressing the hitters market and forcing his client to take an opt out in order to hit the market once these grievances are corrected....blah blah blah.

Boras and Davis may look at this market and decide a shorter term deal with perhaps a higher initial AAV and early opt out makes sense. Hit the market in a year or two.

The argument against that strategy would be that if enough guys start doing the opt out thing, then they will be hitting a market that is flooded with opt out free agents. Again weakening their bargaining power.

If that 150 million is on the table still then CD should be an Oriole in the next few days. If he is not signed I am guessing either the offer has been pulled or Davis and SB are pursuing a potential deal with an opt out.

It still is difficult to negotiate backwards. It creates really bad feelings that can poison relations at various levels. IMO, the O's Davis at 5/100 or so would make the O's look bad (and the union would flip, keep in mind PA is or was a union supporter), not Davis. He had his offer, turned it down, sign someone else. The funny thing about Davis, by not signing, may have cost these other guys millions.

The way egos work I just don't know if Davis would take a 5/100 from us. Unfortunately, he may from another team. Perhaps Houston gets in on him now.

Fine, then let's part ways with Davis. If we sign him for 7/154 now it will be a colossally dumb move. Let someone else get stuck with him on their roster in his late 30s when all he does is whiff. The market has spoken and it has clearly said you shouldn't have to pay $22 mil a year for that.

Archived