Orioles and Rockies engaged in " ongoing trade talks " on Colorado outfielders

xian4

This is what happens when you refuse to give an opt out. You have to resort to these types of trades because it is impossible to sign a free agent.

There is very little evidence that the O's are willing to pony up the money to sign a free agent who could demand an opt out that is not named Davis. Lack of opt outs didn't prevent them from signing free agents last year (or any of the many years when the O's were not active with big dollar free agents). I think focusing on the opt out ignores their financial reality and their pretty obvious strategy of not signing big ticket free agents.

BTW, I'm not against opt outs...I think it's more likely that the "opted out" team wins the WAR-$ trade-off than the new team. Maybe even a near certainty.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Trumbo is a decent defensive 1B, he has more value in the field than at DH. His .730 career OPS v RHP isn't terrible.

Oh, I'm not concerned about Trumbo as an everyday 1b. I'm just saying that Kim could play there also and shouldn't prevent them from getting both Upton and Blackmon/Gonzalez.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They haven't managed to replace Chen yet. How are they going to find two starters?

I have just about given up trying to figure out what the Orioles are doing.

Davis and Cespedes are both on the market, neither costs your first round pick and neither is a Coors field product with production that is likely to be a product of their homefield. I dunno at least we are talking about doing something instead of sitting around waiting for Chris Davis to make up his mind.

Color me frustrated. Personally I felt that pitching should have been the priority if we were going to spend. We have essentially set back and watch every half decent SP that won't cost a draft pick sign elsewhere. Really no excuse for not addressing the pitching needs in a meaningful way.

What does everyone think the Cargo cost is? I would rather go with Pedro Alvarez and a good pitcher and some other buy low candidates with the money.

It seems by reading what Weams and others on here have said, Angelos said Chris Davis or nothing. If that is the case, we are screwed either way. 6th worst owner huh?:)

As others have stated, Cargo's home-away splits are startling.

In his career he has a .986 OPS at Coors and a .752 OPS on the road; 106 homeruns at Coors vs 70 on the road; and a BA of .324 in Coors vs .255 on the road.

All of this in a similar amount of plate appearances.

Pass.

Cargo, man, I don't know what to think. Contract is OK (2yrs $37 mln). Hit .270 w/ 40HR and 97 RBI last year.

at Coors: .299/24HR/61RBI

on the road: .243/16HR/36 RBI

^^those are pretty close to his career splits. career .255 hitter outside of Coors.

You'd think he could muster a .260/27/90 line in Camden yards as a 30yr old in Baltimore.

Blackmon is a FA after 2018 and Dickerson is a FA after 2019. They're both cheap so i doubt the rockies trade either of those cats...especially if the O's are discussing a deal. Baltimore obviously dont have the prospects for it.

Honestly, I would ship out Bundy + a lower level prospect for Cargo and call it a day. Rockies shed ~$40 mln in salary over the next 2 years and there's very little room on the 25 man for Bundy on the O's with the bullpen looking stacked.

If cutting the cord on Bundy meant avoiding the disaster of the Davis contract, then I would do it.

But that's just me...

I didn't think about Bundy but it probably makes the most sense. Rockies get salary relief and a Starter with upside and since he'll be pitching at Coors it will never look like a bad trade for us....

As others have stated, Cargo's home-away splits are startling.

In his career he has a .986 OPS at Coors and a .752 OPS on the road; 106 homeruns at Coors vs 70 on the road; and a BA of .324 in Coors vs .255 on the road.

All of this in a similar amount of plate appearances.

Pass.

Camden Yards is a hitter friendly park, not as much as Coors, but I would think its reasonable to expect him to put up an .800 OPS for us.

Besides, everyone seems to be fine with Trumbo and his mediocre OPS, at least CarGo can play the field

They haven't managed to replace Chen yet. How are they going to find two starters?

You could see how motivated SD is to move Shields. Maybe they'd include Cashner or Ross for a minimal return if we take Shields?

Maybe jump on some reclamation contracts...Fister and Latos. There are opportunities out there...first you've just got to move on from Davis.

You could see how motivated SD is to move Shields. Maybe they'd include Cashner or Ross for a minimal return if we take Shields?

Maybe jump on some reclamation contracts...Fister and Latos. There are opportunities out there...first you've just got to move on from Davis.

I would like either one, but Ross is a potential star, whereas Shields is on the downside.

It isn't about doing what is best for team, it is about limiting the financial exposure by any means necessary.

They refuse to pay market for any FA, so are relegated to the "year/couple yrs left" trade market, and weakening an already thin organization.

It's about best price/value not best fit. Always has been with this front office.

How's about a Jimenez reunion? Gonzalez is a product of his environment, not that he'd be awful at Camden Yards but I doubt we see a particularly game changing player. I'm sure my evaluation is a underselling him if I'm offering something like Jimenez/Garcia but it is what it is. I'd prefer to go Upton even with my bias towards left handed hitters.

Ubaldo's contract actually looks reasonable now...I don't think we would trade him without a viable replacement.

Archived